Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can't start new file?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't start new file?!?!

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Use this Microsoft link to fix Windows 7 worth keeping.. then install the latest Version of V11. - my bet it's W7.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

A very long shot: it makes me think of behavior from other devellopment environments. It occured when i had printers defined to a machine that where not available or if no default printer was defined on that particular machine
      Ger Kurvers
      Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
      Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

I'm sure as Pete Conway says it's Win-7. I opened Sunrise w. no problems, but I still live in XP world.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Well I had a dream but it was not about alpha.. hmmm maybe I'm not a real alphaholic. Anyhow the only thing I can add to the suggestions is make sure you have any virus protectors completely disabled when installing. Especially those that do real time file checking.
          Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Thanks guys. Knowing the sample files work for others is good info - confirms the problem isn't just those initial dialogues.

I did have some unused printers - removed them - uninstalled & reinstalled - problem persists.

That link to repair Windows 7 is good to know, but I'm a little chicken to try it. I don't see a choice that's clearly the one. So, I think I'll wait on that until Monday when my regular Computer Dude is available and/or I hear something on the bug report. I'm going to wait not only because I'm a chicken, but because I have to short circuit my own tendency to be a dog-with-a-bone and get some other work done! I have a full load scheduled for this weekend.

[Editorial Mode ON]

Ah the good life. Being self employed is a great gig. You can set you own hours! You can even work half time!! I myself work only 3/4 time - and with the remaining 6 hours a day I sleep and do laundry... ;-) ;-)

[Editorial Mode OFF]
            Wendy Welton
            Architect
            past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
              Well I had a dream but it was not about alpha.. hmmm maybe I'm not a real alphaholic. Anyhow the only thing I can add to the suggestions is make sure you have any virus protectors completely disabled when installing. Especially those that do real time file checking.
              Yep - did that too. I took my machine down to as completely naked as I knew how to and still have it actually run. This feels to me like some bizarre conflict - device driver maybe. Andrew said they haven't had this thing in particular, but that they did have some reports in beta of odd things that had to do with Windows 7 security settings that aren't even obvious things like UAC. I restate my opinion that Bill Gates, brilliant programmer and great philanthropist that he is, is also a pin head who "helps" way way way too much! Oops, I forgot to put Editorial Mode on for that comment. Oh well, I probably just took my Software Karma down another notch.

I'm convinced that either:

A) All mechanical and electrical devices are unionized, and they know I don't wash my car often enough. and/or:

B) All mechanical and electrical devices have souls, and I kicked the wrong Mercedes Benz in my last life.
              Wendy Welton
              Architect

Comment

You are very funny... this does work..http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

For the sample programs to work you need to go to the folder that they were installed to and retake ownership.

Also download VMware professional and do an install of windows 7. This will save your nightmare of messing with hardware.

Comment

The samples programs that crash for me are ones I access by selecting them in the welcome screen in version 11 and letting it do it's thing. I can open them, so I think they are correctly "owned". But they crash, so I think that's just another symptom of whatever my problem is. Version 11 and those samples seem to both be running fine on my laptop.

I'm going to get together with my Computer Dude tomorrow or Tuesday for anything like VMware or fixit. My computer isn't "broken" for any other programs and I don't want to just start wailing way. I've learned to know my limits and to only go beyond them with a little guidance. So - those are great suggestions, I'm just not diving in until I have help available to get me back out of any further trouble I cause!
                    Wendy Welton
                    Architect

Comment

Wendy,
                      If I were you I had my PC reinstalled (without A5 installed) clean & then imaged onto some disk. You could even document all steps taken to install the PC (that is what I do). Whenever you run into issues; don't think, restore the image update it & if you like (when the image is too old) make another one. PC's & their OS's just have become too complex. Make sure you have a separate partition for your data & redirect your data folder to it. It is not the easiest & fastest thing to do but eventually you'll do it anyway. Configuration drift is one of the things we have to live with unless you are using a program like Deep Freeze.
                      Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                        clean & then imaged onto some disk...restore the image update it & if you like (when the image is too old) make another one...Make sure you have a separate partition for your data & redirect your data folder to it...It is not the easiest & fastest thing to do but eventually you'll do it anyway.
                        Huh?

No disrespect intended Frank, but seriously, very few people will ever do that. I know I won't.
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I make a habit of having an image of a "fresh" pc. Makes it much easier to get things back to normal
                          when someone gets a virus or spyware, or something just isn't playing nice (have you ever tried to completely
                          uninstall alpha5?) .
                          Gregg
                          https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Wendy,

Just saw this post. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. You and I seem to be having similar issues. I cannot get v11 to work on either of 2 macinees, both Windows 7, 64 bit. Web Projects control panel is empty. I can publish all the files and see them publishing, but they do not show in the panel so I cannot edit them.

Also, I have the same issue with Quick Publish of v10 - script error - been that way for months ...

And like you, I am VERY frustrated ....
                            Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

What happens/what do you see when you click on the new button "Open Project folder in Windows Explorer" ?

pf.png
                              Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Dr. G,

Our problems do sound like they have something in common.

I'm now not frustrated at all. I'm just watching the advice fly by at warp speed and waiting until the nice people in Burlington have a chance to see my bug report. In the very first issue of a pretty significant upgrade, totally not weird to have some devil pop up. I don't have some deadline to make. So, I'm just going about my business and being patient. I'm not going to start doing things that I've never had to do in what is now frighteningly close to 30 years of using computers for any program ever, until I hear some word from the folks in the best position to say "you know, it sounds like....". I've learned to assume nothing and not to go thrashing about past a certain point.

In particular, I don't want to make wholesale changes to my system, which has some horsepower, but is otherwise a pretty straightforward machine with a pretty straightforward setup. So let's say I wipe the whole friggin' thing and start over. Let's say that fixes it! Well, now the nice people in Burlington have absolutely no way to tell what caused it, and so can't make any adaptation to the program, if that's what's needed. Then somebody here or there downloading the demo runs into this problem and just throws their hands up in disgust - and doesn't buy the program. Other people not buying the program hurts us all, because that's money that now isn't paying for other features we might want.

We can guess it's a Windows 7 thing - maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Even if it is - they can't change Windows 7, or make sure nobody else ever has whatever setting is wonky. But they might be able to adapt A5, even if it's to make up for some Bill Gates pinhead move.

But - yeah, it definitely threw me at first. If I had issues on two computers, as you say, I might have a bit stronger case of agita. Have you documented everything you did to install, what you system is etc and sent in a bug report on your issues?
                                Wendy Welton
                                Architect

Comment

Working...
                                X