Alpha Video Training

Thread: Dialog component will not submit data to DBF table

Real Name
    George Morley

Default Dialog component will not submit data to DBF table

I created a simple table using a DBF table. I followed the example in the videos on creating a dialog component.
    When I click on the button to submit to submit data to the table, nothing happens.
    I placed a debug(1) in Server Side - afterDialogValidate and as I step through I get 4 errors that reference
    Property not found e.rtc.a_sections sublement not found, Property not found e.fatalerror sublement not found, Property not found e.rtc.flag RecordWas Saved sublement not found, and Property not found e.htmlUpdateCommands sublement not found.

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

Real Name
    Norman Mouton

Default Re: Dialog component will not submit data to DBF table

George

I have the same issue. I however build another dialog connecting to an Access database and it worked. I however also want to use it with an Alpha Five database. Surely seems like a bug or unfinnished development. I am so excited with the endless possibilities using the new dialog, but sure wants to use the genies to speed up my job. Alpha gurus please help us

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

When V11 was in Beta the save data action script only saved to SQL tables and DBF's would be added. Not sure if this was ever done because it was at this point I started the arduous task of converting all my tables to SQL.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

If you want to submit to a .dbf you have to write your own code in the afterDialogValidate.

The Server Side Action Scripting action to write the code for you to save to a table is only currently implemented for sql.

However, to save data from a dialog to a table (in the case were you are saving to a single table) is pretty trivial.

for example, say your dialog has fields call firstname, and lastname
    and you want to save to a table called 'mycustomers' which has fields called fname and lname

you would write

Code:
    dim t as p
    t = table.open("[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\mycustomers")
    dim r as p
    r.fname = e.datasubmitted.firstname
    r.lname = e.datasubmitted.lastname
    t.enter_record(r)
    t.close()

Real Name
    Jim Coltz

Deleted

Real Name
    Norman Mouton

Selwyn
    Thaks for the reply. The code is understandable. The repeating columns is my problem. What will the code be for repeating columns. I have more than one project based on alpha five databases. The new dialog is stunning except for this hurdle.

Real Name
    Norman Mouton

Selwyn

Does this means that with all new development sql connection will have priveledge? I have to know because I am only usingAlpha Five @ the moment with great success

Real Name
    Bob Senski

Was this corrected? The current builders in data binding show dbf as an option? I have been unable to create a dialog component that will save to a DBF. It also does not bring up the debugger when this option is selected.

Must you still hand code this as Selwyn suggests? Can some one get me up to speed on this?
    Tks
    Bob
    Last edited by bob9145; 04-04-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Submitting a dialog and saving the data into a .dbf using server side action scripting works fine.

You can see for yourself using the attached dialog which uses alphasports customer.dbf

you will need to edit the data binding section in the dialog and fix the reference to the customer table since yours is likely not in c:\alphasports

CustomerDialog_DBF.a5wcmp

Real Name
    Bob Senski

Thank you

Real Name
    Bob Senski

Lightbulb Re: Dialog component will not submit data to DBF table

I found the solution to my problem. When using action scripting to enter the afterdialogvalidate event, "Save Submitted Data to Table(s)" the genie adds:

ExecuteServerSideAction("Save Data::commitrecord")

on a line before: function afterDialogValidate as v (e as p)

function afterDialogValidate as v (e as p) must fire first because there is nothing in e.datasubmitted to commit until it fires.

Putting the curser in the script after: function afterDialogValidate as v (e as p) solve the problem.

The instructional video clearly demonstrates this however doesn't make specific mention of it. So when using the action scripting genie make sure to click in below this standard function.

This I guess is pretty basic to coders but maybe it will help some one new to Alpha5. It sent me around the block a few times.

Tks
    Bob

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jetson Lilibeth

Quote Originally Posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
    Submitting a dialog and saving the data into a .dbf using server side action scripting works fine.

You can see for yourself using the attached dialog which uses alphasports customer.dbf

you will need to edit the data binding section in the dialog and fix the reference to the customer table since yours is likely not in c:\alphasports

CustomerDialog_DBF.a5wcmp
    Right,the dialog successfully submits every data entered, but on a lan, when the workstation submits data to the server, it produces the same error mentioned on the first post,
    Please try this Mr. Selwyn, and pelase suggest the solution for it. Thank you very much!
    Last edited by JetLi; 05-04-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

i don't really understand the point you are making. i am not sure what you mean by 'on a lan'.

are you saying that when you run the dialog in working preview or live preview on your development machine, it works fine, but not when you publish the component to your server?

can you make a video showing the error you are getting?

i am pretty confident that submitting a dialog and saving the data in .dbf tables is working ok.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jetson Lilibeth

Local Area Network (LAN), Yes Selwyn, submitting on a Web dialog and saving data in .dbf tables is working fine, i have mentioned it in my other posts, Have you tried submitting a dialog and saving on a shadowed database? try that and put a debug(1) and you will get an error like the one in post #1.

Errors= Property not found e.rtc.a_sections sublement not found, Property not found e.fatalerror sublement not found, Property not found e.rtc.flag RecordWas Saved sublement not found, and Property not found e.htmlUpdateCommands sublement not found.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jetson Lilibeth

Please show a solution for this. Thanks!

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

I am now even more confused. 'shadow database' is for desktop application running on a lan. this is a web application. what relevance does 'shadow database' have here. 'shadow databases' are not relevant to web applications.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jetson Lilibeth

Sorry for the confusion, this is the Web thread.
    Selwyn, I suspect you are one of the developers of Alpha five, May I ask you a question, Can the Grid and the Dialog Component be used on desktop apps? You are not the one who is only confused here, even me, isnt it shadowing related to desktop? Can the Web Dialog component be used on desktop app? if not, then you are right, What relevance does shadow database have here? shadow databases are not relevant to web applications.

Edited: You might escape the question, saying , this is the wrong thread to post desktop questions,please dont' because no replies in my post on the desktop part. You are right, If you look at the Desktop related thread, I was asking for additional info on the dialog component in saving when it is used in desktop, there were no replies because maybe the mods never used the dialog component on the desktop.I am able to use the grid and the dialog component on the DESKTOP and it is working very very very fine on a stand alone computer even if it is not published, can the data on the server be updated if i install the application in other machines on a local area network and try to save using the dialog component? YES OR NO. if no then case closed, if yes then what could be the code to submit it if it is on a workstation? the code on the server or stand alone to save is ExecuteServerSideAction("Save Data::commitrecord") .
    Last edited by JetLi; 05-05-2012 at 05:41 AM.

Real Name
    Robert Tupper

Jetson - Selwyn is one of the owners of the company..... (And the CTO - "Chief Technology Officer", unless I'm mistaken.)

My "simple minded thoughts" here are: If he's confused (by your post/question)..... You're most likely confused too!
    Last edited by SNusa; 05-05-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jetson Lilibeth

Yap Robert, I understand him maybe he is thinking that I'm doing things for the Web, because this is the web applications thread, and sorry for that because nobody is replying in the desktop post that I made that's why, when I saw this post and we are experiencing the same error,I replied with the hope that It will be cleared, at least I said it is working on a single computer contrary to the first post before ho found out the solution.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by JetLi View Post
    ... at least I said it is working on a single computer contrary to the first post before ho found out the solution.
    I bet that since your dialog points to the local table on the machine that you tested/developed on, when you copy it to a workstation w. a shadow db it can't work because it's looking for a local table. You might try to bind the dialog to the shadow. The only catch there is that the shadow would have to be in the exact same path on each machine.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jetson Lilibeth

Quote Originally Posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    I bet that since your dialog points to the local table on the machine that you tested/developed on, when you copy it to a workstation w. a shadow db it can't work because it's looking for a local table. You might try to bind the dialog to the shadow. The only catch there is that the shadow would have to be in the exact same path on each machine.
    "You might try to bind the dialog to the shadow" - how is this possible?

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by JetLi View Post
    "You might try to bind the dialog to the shadow" - how is this possible?
    Good question. It might not be. But the shadow is a table, albeit w. one record. Try it. If you don't see any fields then you know it can't be done.

"Certified" Alphaholic Tim Kiebert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tim Kiebert

Something else that may simplify things a bit. I would run the POS stations without shadowing. Ie just connect directly to the data files on the server. Shadowing is good if your users are opening many different forms repeatedly. This saves the layout definitions needing to be transferred over the network. However with a POS app each POS station usually just opens one or two forms once and they stay open. Plus with a good network ie gigabit and quality switches performance should not be that much slower if any.
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Real Name
    Fodor Mihai

Hello.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU, Selwyn, for the solution to the DBF side of the problem.

Mike.
    Last edited by zumik; 02-12-2013 at 06:51 AM.