Alpha Video Training

Thread: Problem with RowExpander issue - showing it when a field has a link in another grid`

Real Name
    Roelof

Default Problem with RowExpander issue - showing it when a field has a link in another grid`

I have asked this before but did not get it to work.

One table, called project has a field (numeric) called MainSR
    Another table, called help (on another server) has a field called (character) Assettag

So I want to show the Row Expander when the field in the mainSR and the Assettag field are the same.

I have created this:
    debug(1)
    ShowRowExpanderIcon = .t.
    '
    DIM cn as SQL::Connection
    dim flagResult as l
    cn.open("::Name::Help")
    flagResult = cn.open("::Name::Help")
    if flagResult = .f. then
    ui_msg_box("Error","Could not connect to database. Error reported was: " + crlf() + cn.CallResult.text)
    end
    end if

dim sqltxt as c
    dim args as sql::arguments
    sqltxt=<<%txt%
    SELECT count(*) from help where assettag =args1
    %txt%

args.set("args1",convert_type(e.rowData.data("MainSR"),"N"))
    e.conn.execute(sqltxt,args)
    dim count as n

count = e.cn.resultset.data(1)

if count = 0 then
    ShowRowExpanderIcon = .f.
    else
    end if

cn.Close()

It throws an error on :count = e.cn.resultset.data(1) and this is the error: Property not found e.cn.subelement not found

Could someone point me in the right direction to make this work?

Thanks
    Roelof

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

Default Re: Problem with RowExpander issue - showing it when a field has a link in another gr

I don't think you want your table and connection to have the same name. You are opening your connection twice. Also e.conn.execute(sqltxt,args) should be cn.execute(sqltxt,args), count = e.cn.resultset.data(1) should be count = cn.resultset.data(1)
    ui_msg_box() does not work on the web.
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Real Name
    Roelof

Default Re: Problem with RowExpander issue - showing it when a field has a link in another gr

I have changed the Xbasic function to:
    debug(1)
    '
    DIM cn as SQL::Connection
    dim flagResult as l

dim sqltxt as c
    dim args as sql::arguments
    sqltxt=<<%txt%
    SELECT count(*) from helprequest where assettag =args1
    %txt%

args.set("args1",convert_type(e.rowData.data("MainSR"),"N"))
    cn.execute(sqltxt,args)
    dim count as n

count = cn.resultset.data(1)

if count = 0 then
    else
    end if

cn.Close()

But I still get the error at this line count = cn.resultset.data(1), and the error is :Function sequence error, while getting latest result set.'cn.resultset subelement not found.

I really wont this to work. I cannot figure this out.

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Is 'Help' the name of your connection string or as you say in your opening paragraph
    Another table, called help (on another server)
    ?

If it is a table in a database you need to use a named connection string to the database then in the select statement refer to the table you want to get the data from as in
    Code:
    dim conn as SQL::Connection

conn.open("::name::alphasports")
    where alphasports is a saved named connection string, not the name of an alternate database.

Real Name
    Roelof

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gurd View Post
    Is 'Help' the name of your connection string or as you say in your opening paragraph ?

Help is the name of the connection string to another sqlserver table

If it is a table in a database you need to use a named connection string to the database then in the select statement refer to the table you want to get the data from as in
    Code:
    dim conn as SQL::Connection

conn.open("::name::alphasports")
    where alphasports is a saved named connection string, not the name of an alternate database.
    Help is the name of the connection string and this is the connection string : {A5API='SQLServer',A5DBVersion=2008,Server='(local)',A5ANSINullPadWarn=Default,Trusted_connection=yes,Database='Help'}

Then in the help database there is a table called helprequest

If this does not work I will need to buy a help request from Alpha5. This needs to work I don't know why this does not work.

Real Name
    Michael Smith

Instead of using arguments did you try write to out the sql string?

sqltxt= "SELECT count(*) from helprequest where assettag = " + convert_type(e.rowData.data("MainSR"),"N"))
    cn.execute(sqltxt)

Then you can use debug to see the string make sure it is written correctly, try it in your database query builder to see if it is returning the correct result.

Real Name
    Roelof

Well I got it to work, thanks to all of your help. And I have learned a lot.

dim cn as sql::Connection
    dim sqlstatement as c
    dim args as sql::Arguments
    dim rs as sql::resultset
    dim x as c
    dim cs as c

sqlstatement = "SELECT count(*) from helprequest where assettag = :args"
    if cn.open(cs)
    args.add("args", e.rowData.data("MainSR"))
    cn.Execute(sqlstatement,args)
    if cn.execute(sqlstatement,args)
    rs = cn.ResultSet
    dim count as n
    count - 0
    count = cn.resultset.data(1)

if count = 0 then
    else
    end if

else
    x = "Execute failed: " + cn.callResult
    end if
    else
    'Connection failed. Display message from cn.CallResult
    x = "Connection failed: " + cn.CallResult
    end if
    if cn.IsOpen
    cn.Close()
    end if

I do still have one question left, how can use the count(*) in my grid? Do I have to use it in the SQL statement like count(*) as <variable>, and than use that variable in the grid?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

Quote Originally Posted by Atta View Post
    Well I got it to work, thanks to all of your help. And I have learned a lot.

I do still have one question left, how can use the count(*) in my grid? Do I have to use it in the SQL statement like count(*) as <variable>, and than use that variable in the grid?

yes
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Real Name
    Roelof

OK I understand that but I can not see that variable in available fields so where do I put that?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

dim lnCount as I

Select count(*) as nCount or Kount
    lnCount = cn.resultset.data(1)

You really should be careful using 'reserverd' words for variables like count. I am not sure exactly what all of the reserved words are but I try to avoid naming variables the same as any that can be used in code. There are many naming conventions some were discussed on this board. I use what I learned from VFP things like lcVariableName for local character, lnVariableName for local numeric, etc.This helps assure that you are not using reserved words.

Real Name
    Roelof

Thank you for mentioning that, I keep doing it and then can't figure out why I have issues in my code.

But how do I use that variable in a grid.?

Thanks again.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

If you want the count to be available as a field in the grid you will need to create the sql select statement in the query of the grid.

Real Name
    Wayne

I use Kount....... Looks like I dont know how to spell in my code, but avoids the reserved word.