Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to use one Applicaiton server for multiple instances of Alpha5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use one Applicaiton server for multiple instances of Alpha5?

I had started multiple instances of Alpha5, so I can work in current web project and look at the code and design of other sample web projects. I have at least 2 or 3 instances of Alpha5 and I need "Live preview" (I know I don't need server for Working Preview).

How can I set that I would not have to turn off one Application server in one instance so I can start in another, because Alpha doesn't allow me to run both at the same time on the same port. I know that I can set each instance on different port, but I have to set that every day, each time I start Alpha5.

I also have WAS installed on my local PC. Can I use that server somehow for all instances instead of starting application server inside Alpha5? I tried to run WAS first, but Alpha5 still want to run internal app. web server.

On short: I need multiple instances of Alpha5 and option to see web components in Live Preview in each of open instances w/o setting or turning on/off Application server every time. How can I do that? How you accomplish that in such situations?

Fisher

Re: How to use one Applicaiton server for multiple instances of Alpha5?

I don't think that it is a good idea to run 3 developer instances. Just create a project in a project:
    subproj.png
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

These sample projects I have open in other instances doesn't have any connection with my current web project and I don't wan't to mix with my current working project. I just want to peek inside from time to time for some properties settings or code and run some component or form. It could even be an A5 Desktop app.

Comment

Then I'd advise to install the free virtualbox on your PC that way you can isolate everything & there's no hassle with ports either
        Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

That's out of option. I cannot run separate PC just because of that. And you need much stronger PC if you wan't to run multiple PC's next to already open current project.
          It's not a problem run multiple instances. That's working. Question is how to use one application server for all instances, so I don't have to set port every time like I wrote at the beginning.

Maybe exist some startup parameter how to start internal server at specific port? That shouldn't be to hard to implement. And then you can have shortcut icons for different ports. It's just an idea.

Comment

The application server can be started with different xml config files in which you can edit the port. Create the target in your shortcut as follows: (this is example for my staging server)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V11 ApplicationServer\A5ApplicationServer.exe" -CONFIGFILE=C:\A5v11Configs\Staging\ApplicationServerConfig-Staging.xml
            Frank

Comment

I was checking my PC and I don't have any folder like "Staging" or any such xml file. I have WinXP. I can't find anything about that in any help (nor local nor Wiki).

Can you give me some concrete example of the file? But I need it for Alpha5 Developer and not for WAS, because dev. environment want to start it's own local server. But if is possible to use real application server installed on my local PC it would be even better. The ideal solution would be to have 2 or 3 desktop shortcuts icons each with it's own xml settings.

Comment

Question is how to use one application server for all instances, so I don't have to set port every time like I wrote at the beginning. I need multiple instances of Alpha5 and option to see web components in Live Preview in each of open instances w/o setting or turning on/off Application server every time. How can I do that? How you accomplish that in such situations?
                I complained about that several years ago and tried to find workarounds. Afraid the answer is - live with it.
                Last edited by Al Buchholz; 10-25-2011, 03:04 PM.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Re: How to use one Application server for multiple instances of Alpha5?

Regarding that you can set in Alpha5, if server start automatically and active port number I think that shouldn't be so hard to make some startup switch for that. If you have all Alpha5 knowhow in head it's not a problem, but if you are A5 beginner, it's a nice if you can peek in some other apps to remember things you have to implement in current app. After all I hope it's a goal to make development more easier and user friendly and arts starts with details, said Picasso.

I hope that guys in Alpha5 R&D department write down such wishes and make them true for Christmas.

Comment

Look for a file ApplicationServerConfig.xml on your system (the drive where A5 is installed) in the Alpha folder in \Documents and Settings\All Users and \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

I renamed that file by extending the name with "-staging" to indicate that that is the file for my staging WAS. So I have 2 config files: one for the production server & one for the staging (test) server.

The developer also uses this same file (ApplicationServerConfig.xml) but I don't know how to start multiple instances of the developer (application server) with a different config file.
                    Look at this thread about how to run multiple instances of the WAS & see if you can get the developer going the same way but reading Steve's reply I would not hold my breath for it.
                    Frank

Comment

Thank you Frank. That was helpful. I found that file and I will try to figure it out how to run that with Dev version and let you know.
                      I also just came on idea that there probably should be some built in function which actually start the server. We just have to find that and call it in autoexec script.

Comment

Good luck! Don't forget to share whatever you find as an outcome. That's what this board is all about. Uspeh!
                        Frank

Comment

I check this and I found that when you start server in Dev edition it will use last settings in ApplicationServerConfig.xml config file. So if you "manually" change port in xml file and then start an "Application server" it will work with last settings inside.

So some Xbasic code in autoexec should check if server is running and get port number. Add e.g. +1 to existing port number, write that into a config file and start new instance of the server. The last instance of the A5 should at closing set that port back to original one (e.g. 80).

This could (should) be already built in A5 when you start another instance of A5 so you don't have to do that gym every-time. Otherwise why allow user to open another instance at all? In .NET that is called dynamic assigned port.

Comment

Working...
                          X