Alpha Video Training

Thread: Another DotNet Question

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Default Another DotNet Question

I'm in a quandary. I've been trying to communicate with an external dll/device with A5V11. I installed the 32 bit version of the dll (including installing in XP compatibility mode) on my Win 7 64 bit machine. I can establish a connection to the device but can't control it using the 32 bit version.

I just installed the dll on an XP machine where the 32 bit installer installed two version of the dll. (I don't know why the vendor set things up this way.) One version installed on XP is the same as the 32 bit version installed on my Win 7 machine. That version doesn't work on XP either. However, using the second version of the dll I can pass all my tests with the device, get it to beep and return its status etc. I tried copying the working dll over to the Win 7 machine but it doesn't work there.

The vendor also supplies a 64 bit version of the dll. Does a 64 bit dll only work with 64 bit programs or could that version work with Alpha?
    Finian

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Default Re: Another DotNet Question

I seem to have resolved my quandary. When I looked at the working XP code I noticed something that, even though the code was working, didn't look right. When I tried running the code again in Win 7 and added back the missing parens (oops, red-faced) it ran fine. So it looks like it will work. Until the next time .....
    Finian

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Default Re: Another DotNet Question

I should also have added my thanks to Kurt Rayner at Alpha for fixing the mapping problem. Without that fix I'd still be dead in the water. Thanks again.
    Finian