Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Looking for a compatible third-party gantt/scheduler control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a compatible third-party gantt/scheduler control

I will let you know as I am going to attempt to replace Ms projects with it...

I have a technical question that may be fundamental to doing this. I normally use start dates and duration and let finish date auto from there, if I don't like the end date then I need to apply more manpower and shorten the duration.

What I see with the charts genie is that it takes in start and finish dates, I have gotten grid components to show duration from me putting in a start an end date but have not found how to get a calculated field to take in a start date and a duration then calculate its own end date. If I can get the grid to calculate its own end date based on user entered start date and duration then I can see how the Gantt Chart fusion genie would be perfect.

Do you know how or if I can build a grid formula to calculate the end date based on a given start date and duration (of course duration has to be in days or fractions of days..) As for including or not including holidays and weekends or (non working days) will cross that bridge later...

Comment

Rod, SEVERAL months ago when I knew less, I tried to fool around with a baby schedule and was using looping to go through records to update start and end dates based on a change in a record's start date or duration. I did this via Xbasic. I have no idea what condition that test grid is in now, but I think it was being successful in updating the end date based on a change in duration. If you'd like to email me privately, I can send that grid to you.
      Carol King
      Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
      http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

Rod - you're thinking in terms of the grid for the data, but if you think in terms of the data or table itself you might find things easier. I'll confess I'm not sure what you're talking about on the duration front though. But if you can generate the data in a way it can be used by the genie (or additional coding if you prefer) then you'll be on your way.
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks Steve,

Carol hooked me up on how to generate the finish dates based on start date and duration. But now you just told me that your Gantt Genie only works on sql back end I am stuck again. I have so far built my application with .dbf ;(

Alas...appears to be much opportunity for someone to attack project management functionality (replace ms projects) in A5 for non-JS people like me! Guess for now, I'll check out that JSGantt site....

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelCarroll View Post
            This looks entirely plausible as an a5 integration.

http://www.jsgantt.com/
            Hi Michael,

Been pursuing the boards attempting to find how to add Gantt to my application, actual PM funtionality would be great too but I can build most of that in the A5 with the exception of Gantt.

I found the jsgantt site and for a short time played with attempting to put it into a a5 page but so far it appears its not just a copy the code and past thing is it?

Question, I don't really do or know how to do anything other than a few basic things in A5, have zip experience with JS as far as modifying or anything if its not a menue click in A5...so probably a very steep hill for me to climb to utilize jsgantt in A5? Web applications V10.5

Comment

But now you just told me that your Gantt Genie only works on sql back end I am stuck again. I have so far built my application with .dbf ;(
              Well, with 2-3 hours' work I suspect I could convert the genie into SQL. I wish I had the time right now. 3 weeks ago I finished the multi-series chart genie, but haven't had time to package it up, prepare a video etc. to make it available.
              -Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks Steve...with your skills I could make all my A5 dreams come true ;)

I actually figured out I can export my .dbf table back into an SQL database (yeah that's how nube I am) so if/when I get it done I will probably get your Gantt genie so long as I can get the database finish date to auto calculate from a given start date and given duration, as I have not tried to get Carol's looping function to work yet.

Comment

I was thinking that too -- there should be some easy functions in A5 to put your .dbf into a SQL table. I just haven't looked for them yet, and wasn't sure that I wanted to recommend you run a SQL engine as well.
                  -Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

Steve,

I think I can get that grid and table from Carol to work, but before I work that out wanted to ask if you may be able to help me do it with less modification to my current app. I was able to get my current app to derive/generate duration in days between two dates (start and finish date) with... = task_finish-task_start .

But I have not been able to figure out how to transpose deriving duration between two dates back into derive a date from date and duration, the idea being.... = task_start + "duration"

I realize my problem is due to duration not being a date but instead just a numerical value. I figure there is some trick to it?

I have not found the code or function for that if it exists? Do you know?

Comment

http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Date%20Addition
                      Tim Kiebert
                      Eagle Creek Citrus
                      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Now that was embarrassing simple...thanks Tim, very much!

Don't want to say how long I have been messing with that...

Comment

Originally posted by mihai View Post
                          It took 10 minutes to figure out how to insert the exg2antt to A5 forms

Here's the result:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29871[/ATTACH]

Regards,
                          TheOne
                          Mihai,

How did you do this connection?

Comment

Working...
                          X