Alpha Video Training

Thread: string?Connection String Explanation

Real Name
    Chris Turnbull

Default string?Connection String Explanation

Hi,

I am a little confused as to how the connection string works in Alpha.

I am using MS SQL 2008 and when you security harden a sql Server the best practice is to just use Windows Authentication and disable the sa.

Can someone explain when you choose Windows Authentication what user is actually used for the connection as you do not have to enter any details.

Thanks

Chris

"Certified" Alphaholic Clipper87's Avatar
    Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: string?Connection String Explanation

I think you answered the question yourself: Windows authentication will authenticate automatically against the SQL server with the credentials from the current logged on Windows user. See this http://www.greensql.com/content/sql-...best-practices

I jumped in not because I'm a security expert but because I find it an interesting question, especially when you wonder which authentication method to choose for deployment of the Alpha WAS where only your Alpha application needs to authenticate to the WAS via the connection string (internet web users authenticate against your Alpha web application if it has security). I've been using SQL server authentication so far but these documents seem not to recommend that. Let's hope a security guru jumps in on this thread.
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Real Name
    Chris Turnbull

Default Re: string?Connection String Explanation

Clipper,

That was my point.

To Security Harden and SQL Server you should just allow windows Authentication but Alpha Doesn't seem to allow that.

I should be able to setup a Domain User with near no rights on the network and use that user in the connectio string. I'm not sure you can do that with Alpha. Unless I am doing something wrong.

Chris