Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

CSS wrong colors - cache to clear somewhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSS wrong colors - cache to clear somewhere?

I'm working on rejiggering my app in V11 with the new CSS. When I publish to my localhost, I'm not getting an accurate and current representation of what's in my CSS. I seem to remember there's a cache somewhere that I need to clear, but I can't remember where or what. Can somebody remind me what that is? I've deleted my A5Webroot and republished, so that's not it.

right_code.png
    wrong_color.png
    Wendy Welton
    Architect
    past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Re: CSS wrong colors - cache to clear somewhere?

OK - I've figured out what's going on. It appears to me that the new CSS is not governing A5W pages. In the screen shot above it looked like just a link color problem, but that's because it was using the values from the last test I ran on my localhost. When I put a line with an html link into the A5W page, it made it rethink things - and when it did that, it came back with all internet defaults for things on A5W pages that are not grids (or, I assume, dialogues, etc.)

So it looks to me like you cannot start a new app, make a new CSS using the Style Builder to make one from one of the new templates, and have that CSS govern your pages. It looks like you have to either add a second CSS or manually add something to that CSS that the A5W and/or html pages will recognize.

So I'm wondering if one of the more experienced users who beta tested, or someone from A5, can tell me if I'm doing this wrong? Is there some way this is intended to be used that I'm missing? I ran a second experiment with a brand new test app, put a grid on a newly created A5W page, put an html link on that page - got the same result. So the default A5W page is not putting any additional code on those pages, but maybe that's what's needed? An additional CSS statement on pages? The videos don't show anything, and I have not found anything of assistance in the wiki.

Now that I know what's going on, I can certainly find a solution. But, I'd like to do my new stuff the best way, not just whatever hack way I can figure out. I hacked my way through CSS on my existing web site, which resulted in both an absurd number of CSS files and more in-line style overrides than I care to admit! My inner perfectionist wants my new stuff to be clean and lean.

CSS_not_on_A5W.png
    Wendy Welton
    Architect

Comment

Wendy,

See if this works: clear the cache of IE; Alpha is using it for it's live preview.
      Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Wendy - this sounds like a similar issue that I had with my navbar when I decided to use <ProjectStyle>. Another user - Sparticuz - told me that it is because it now uses a different set of classes - so you have to edit your old style using the new style builder. I know that may not be a lot of help; best I can do. Selwyn says it is not a bug. I, too, would prefer to do things the 'right' way rather than hacking my way through it but it appears that the 'right' way is not documented with v11 so all we can do is hack. Videos show nothing and I too, found nothing in the wiki.

Comment

Wendy make a copy of your old css watch the videos on css editor, you will need to update the css to the new style. I had the same problems and with about 20min of tweaking I was back to normal.
          Chad Brown

Comment

Originally posted by betty View Post
            Wendy - this sounds like a similar issue that I had with my navbar when I decided to use <ProjectStyle>. Another user - Sparticuz - told me that it is because it now uses a different set of classes - so you have to edit your old style using the new style builder. I know that may not be a lot of help; best I can do. Selwyn says it is not a bug. I, too, would prefer to do things the 'right' way rather than hacking my way through it but it appears that the 'right' way is not documented with v11 so all we can do is hack. Videos show nothing and I too, found nothing in the wiki.
            Yes - I found the right place in the new one to do the Navigation Component. Here it is for anybody else who's trying to do something similar.

menu_bar_for_template.png
            Wendy Welton
            Architect

Comment

Originally posted by chadbrown View Post
              Wendy make a copy of your old css watch the videos on css editor, you will need to update the css to the new style. I had the same problems and with about 20min of tweaking I was back to normal.
              Chad,

My tests so far show that the new CSS does not govern pages, even if when you put a component on a page you select one of the options. I see that the new CSS adds the name of the CSS to each selector, where the old ones did not. I did watch all the videos and don't recall seeing anything about this. Did you bring things like a Wrapper setting into your new CSS?

I wasn't finding what I needed to know at W3Schools, but I found a lovely book on my shelf by Sitepoint that really does start at the beginning. It looks like what I'm missing is a link statement in the page header telling it which CSS to use for the page. That's the first thing - and then whether I add things to the Project Style CSS, and in what order - or if I do it with a separate CSS - 'cause I don't want things I put in to govern web pages to suddenly be governing grids. That's the kind of confusion that got me into a big mess the first go 'round.

I don't know if it fits the strict definition of "bug" that Selwyn uses, but when you insert a component, if you select either of the choices that sound like that CSS used for the grid would then govern the page (set page CSS... or inherit...) , it does not have that effect. I've attached my little test application. One of the pages was made with the second of those choices, the other with the third. Neither page has the link the correct color.

CSS_not_governing_page.png
              Attached Files
              Last edited by WendyWelton; 11-14-2011, 01:42 PM.
              Wendy Welton
              Architect

Comment

An &quot;Aha Moment&quot;

The light just dawned. Those settings aren't supposed to do anything except change the background color of the page?

Jeesh. I'm left feeling partly really stupid and partly thinking this little feature is confusing on a good day, and probably leads to bad practice on a bad day? I'm now remember when I first started Steve or Peter or somebody telling me all it does is make one more place to wonder why your pages are ignoring your CSS. Boy, I wish my memory was better!
                Wendy Welton
                Architect

Comment

Looking at your recent screenshot .. yes .. somebody told me once too .. in a video or message or something .. to just leave those options alone.

Comment

OK - for anyone else finding this threads who's as new and clueless as I...

To get your web pages to have same colors as the style you create with the Style Builder:

1 - You need to add a couple of things to the CSS. I put both at the end because my CSS book says the last thing CSS reads governs if there's a conflict, and I don't want any arguments between my grids and my other page content. That position seems to work just fine.

I added my wrapper (obviously, your web site might not be 1024 wide, and your background color might differ, etc.)

Code:
                    #wrapper{
                    text-align: left;
                    background-color: #FFFFFF;
                    margin: 0 auto;
                    width: 1024px;

}
                    On an individual page - you'd then use this in a DIV - something like:

<div id=wrapper>
                    All your page stuff here
                    </div>
                    I added an anchor style, and matched the colors to the links in the CSS from the style builder.

a:link{
                    color: #0099CC;
                    text-decoration: underline;

}

a:visited{
                    color: #0099CC;

}

a:hover{
                    color: #993333;
                    text-decoration: none;

}

a:active{
                    color: #993333;

}
                    You don't have to tell it to use this. The internet apparently knows what a: is and will just use it.

I added in other things used in my web site, but those two seem to be the two biggies.

Then I corrected the CSS link statement that was already in my application because I started with Steve's template. If you were starting new http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_link.asp - and apparently you should have a couple of other things in your header, like your content type, that I have but can't describe well.

When I looked for information on all the various internet sites, I never quite got a grip on things. I found that an internet search will bring up lots of info, but in specific snippets. Then I noticed a book I had sitting on my shelf - Build your own web site the right way using html and css - that I bought before I bought A5 and then put on the shelf because "hey, I'm not doing it myself now...". Well guess what?! This book took me through everything I didn't understand about page formatting and CSS in a really simple clear linear way. I highly recommend it. I see other titles on their web site that look good. I don't know whether this one hit the spot because of this particular author or if all their books are this clear. But, if anybody is looking for a resource, I definitely recommend this group's offerings.
                    Wendy Welton
                    Architect

Comment

1. When you add the .GrBlueMenubarH in the style builder does it show up in the Navigation System Builder under the preview tab?
                      2. I have this working in the style builder, but I can't seem to get it into my published program. How did you do it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lvasic View Post
                        1. When you add the .GrBlueMenubarH in the style builder does it show up in the Navigation System Builder under the preview tab?
                        2. I have this working in the style builder, but I can't seem to get it into my published program. How did you do it?

Thanks
                        I'm also not getting the same result on the published page as in the Preview, but haven't had time to get back to it. If I get a chance later, I'll let you know what I find out.
                        Wendy Welton
                        Architect

Comment

Lee,

I did a little test application - and I get in that test that a horizontal navigation component does not appear the same as that MenubarH - and firebug seems to think it should. It seems to make no difference if there's any other CSS. So, I've submitted it as a bug report. We'll see if the bug in the software or my head.
                          Wendy Welton
                          Architect

Comment

And... I'm not finding any workaround. There is no in-line field to use for an override.

I also tried bring a CSS I know gave the desired result for the navigation component in V10 into V11 - to verify I'm reaching for the right field in the CSS, and it appears I am.

So I think we just have to wait for an answer - that it's either something that was missed that will be fixed, or that there's a different way this is now supposed to be done.
                            Wendy Welton
                            Architect

Comment

Thanks so much for your time. I thought I was going insane. I thought you got yours to work...

Comment

Working...
                              X