Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Newbie looking for tips re: Large Access 2k7 conversion to A5-10.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie looking for tips re: Large Access 2k7 conversion to A5-10.5

I've done a ton of searching of the web, A5 wiki, and the help docs on most, if not all of the following aspects that follow and am quite frustrated at the moment.

After carefully pulling all of the tables from multiple back-end .accdb files, ensuring the indexes, field types, etc. were correct I wrote a series of routines to add/delete fields and tables then rename each field and table to 10 characters or less. I did not rename any indexes at that time.

I created a new A5 DBF database using the access data. I was a bit surprised to see that one of the indexes came over with the data. Also many of the field sizes seem way off for the type of data converted. I then tried exporting one of the tables from access into a DBF file directly. Not only did the index not come over but the Access auto-increment field came over as an 'ExponentNumeric' field type which there appears to be very limited info on other than posts here saying "don't use them".

*** Any info available on when, why, and how the 'ExponentNumeric' "non-data-type" is used or should be avoided.

So I'm currently going through each table in the "from Access" conversion analyzing each field, changing length and decimals where it appears necessary and manually setting up rules and indexes. To say the least I'm finding my 'Into to A5' frustrating and tedious.

*** Is there a better way to import from Access that would make this process smoother? To bring in the indexes and set the auot-increment rules automatically?

For all of the advertising A5 does to promote moving from Access to A5 I've found little documentation describing a recommended conversion process, data type equivalents, or any pitfalls to watch out for.

*** Are there any resources I've missed?

My development plans are to move first to a desktop version where the DBFs are shared on the local network, then create the same using SQL Server (company std not mine), and finally to the Web with SQL.

Any help, opinions or links in making this a more pleasant trip would be appreciated!

- Bob
    BobT55
    Alpha Five Version 10.5 Build 4369 / Addins Build: 3712
    Active Link Tables via SQL Server 2008 R2 (on laptop)
    Win 7 Home Premium SP 1 - 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 15 (N5110) i5 2410M 8 GB Ram

Re: Newbie looking for tips re: Large Access 2k7 conversion to A5-10.5

Why not keep the data in Access format and use Alpha on that data?

Or move now to SQL directly from Access..
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post

The primary issue with Access (aside from the problems that pop-up with each release) has been it's speed on the network at work. Also, from what I read about using Access files on a network with A5 it didn't sound like the speed would be much better (I believe A5 would still be using Jet via ODBC).

The primary reason for moving through the steps I outlined is due to the fact my test users are at work. I have a legal agreement that I can develop it and sell it despite being an employee (they get it free) but I need to follow a path that follows the resources available. There are IT groups in charge of SQL development (with no budget for my project) who perform all the installs and modifications. For that reason I must have the DB pretty much finalized before requesting the SQL DB install.

Have you (or anyone else reading this) had any experience using Access table with A5 over a network? That would be a much faster path to take as I can easily use the MS SQL upsizing wizard for the SQL conversion on mymodified Access tables.

Thanks for the suggestions - you've definitly given me something to think about!
      - Bob
      BobT55

Comment

If you build a Desktop DBF and then a Desktop SQL and then a Web SQL, you will be too old to reap any benefit of the final application. Your situation will have changed mid-stream, the resources you thought would be there won't be there, or not in the same form. The syntax, tools and mindset for DBF is completely different than for SQL.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

It sounds like you are recommending we test using a local (PC) installed copy of SQL Express (I've been told that should be OK at our company), build the Desktop version from that, have the SQL DB added to one of our server farms to run the Desktop from and I can then build our web version using the same DB?

It certainly sounds like a faster path that would also work for our IT dept. I'll pass it through my partner as he's the 'test lead' and the SQL Express would need to be put on his PC for the development cycle and he would need to leave it running for his assistants to get to it.

Thanks for this, and any other input or suggestions!
          - Bob
          BobT55

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post

Al,

I'll be going through the SQL tutorials now but wonder if you can give me a quick answer on one question?

When using SQL do I need to worry about tthe 10 character table/field/index/object name requirement to prevent corrupted dictionary issues?

Thanks (once again) in advance,
            Bob
            BobT55

Comment

Working...
            X