Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another PC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another PC...

Hi,

Can someone please help me.

I have created a V11 desktop app installation executable and have been trying all day to install on another PC.
    The PC in question is running XP SP3 and the user logged on has administration rights.
    The first problem I encountered was "missing mfc100.dll" - found a thread on here for V10 and eventually tracked down this link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...n.aspx?id=5555
    downloaded the file and then ran it. I then removed my pevious abortive effort and tried to re-install my V11 app
    No success
    Now I get an error message about shortcutcreator.exe not being able to write memory (see attached pic)

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,

Paul
    Attached Files

Re: Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another P

Paul,

Sorry I can't help, only share your frustration because I have similar problems when trying to load a V11 Runtime on to an XP PC, have yet to get it running. I have made a decision to hold back on distribution of V11, will never be practical if it can't run on XP.

Michael

Comment

Re: Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another P

Thanks for the sympathy vote Mike, but unfortunately it doesn't get me any further forward. Do you think this is a concern that should be raised with Alpha or a Windows XP problem that needs addressing by other means?

How are you progressing your issue? Have you asked Alpha about it?

Regards,

Paul

Comment

Paul,

I know there is nothing wrong with the XP PC that we test on so I've given up with V11 and sticking with V10, have already wasted far too much time and money on V11. If I can't install on my own test PC, how can we hope to distribute.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
          Paul,

I know there is nothing wrong with the XP PC that we test on so I've given up with V11 and sticking with V10, have already wasted far too much time and money on V11. If I can't install on my own test PC, how can we hope to distribute.

Michael
          TIp:: Contact AlphaSoftware support for the UK ----> wwww.AlphaSoftwware.co.uk

Comment

I have spent 4 weeks (I enjoyed the experience at the time) developing this relatively straightforward desktop application - Based on what Michael has said in his reply to my post, I am now faced with a complete rewrite in V10. What a waste of effort and money...
            I realise that Alpha were keen to release the much anticipated V11, but at what cost to their desktop user base?
            I am a relative newbie to Alpha and I have yet to release a distributed version of any application I have developed under V10 - so what guarantee do I have that this will work if I take the time and spend the money to write it in an older version?

Your suggestion is much appreciated, but in all honesty, how will talking to the UK distributor help me?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pulsoft View Post
              I have spent 4 weeks (I enjoyed the experience at the time) developing this relatively straightforward desktop application - Based on what Michael has said in his reply to my post, I am now faced with a complete rewrite in V10. What a waste of effort and money...
              I realise that Alpha were keen to release the much anticipated V11, but at what cost to their desktop user base?
              I am a relative newbie to Alpha and I have yet to release a distributed version of any application I have developed under V10 - so what guarantee do I have that this will work if I take the time and spend the money to write it in an older version?

Your suggestion is much appreciated, but in all honesty, how will talking to the UK distributor help me?

Paul
              Search at the V10 Desktopboard there some guys in the UK like Keith Hubert. Perhaps there willing to help before you step back to V10. I can't help with the desktop sorry.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, again.

If Alpha support is quiet - (I would think they monitor the forum) - then I suspect that chatting with established desktop developer luvvies would prove fruitless as they are of course traditionally dependent on their relationships and support with the Sud Afrique establishment...

Thanks again for your reply,

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pulsoft View Post
                  Thanks for your reply, again.

If Alpha support is quiet - (I would think they monitor the forum) - then I suspect that chatting with established desktop developer luvvies would prove fruitless as they are of course traditionally dependent on their relationships and support with the Sud Afrique establishment...

Who you are or where you come from has nothing to do with your problem does not sound so nice.
                  These are just two hard working guys who understand dutch also a bit so everything has its advantages

Thanks again for your reply,

Paul

Comment

It sounds like you are raising two issues

1. you built an install using the a5 installmaker and are trying to install on another machine
                    2. you got an error with the shortcutcreator

V11 requires that the .net v4 framework be installed. the a5 installmaker that ships with a5 is quite simplistic - it is basically a zip file. it does NOT install the .net framework. if you want to install a runtime app on another machine, it will be your responsibility to install the .net framework on that machine first.

(The easiest way to ensure that the .net framework is installed on the target machine is to distribute the runtime install files that you used to install the runtime on your own machine. Your installer will then just install your files - not the runtime files).

I just tested the shortcut creator on an xp machine and it works fine. if you can tell us how to duplicate the issue, we will be happy to investigate it, but I don't think that there is any generic issue.
                    Last edited by Selwyn Rabins; 11-22-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

"Who you are or where you come from has nothing to do with your problem does not sound so nice.
                      These are just two hard working guys who understand dutch also a bit so everything has its advantages"

I fail to see what you are trying to convey in your reply - I was not being rude, if you think that I was then I am sorry..

All I am saying is that Alpha need to address this issue...

Sorry if my reply offended you - Please understand that I am currently an extremely frustrated software developer who believed the hype (still hoping that what I have bought into is what was promised of V11) - To be fair, I was warned by a number of Alpha fans about using newly released software from Alpha.
                      But, given the hype afforded to V11, I was swept away with what the capabilities and benefits would be...
                      So, having bought into the product I have developed this V11 application and compared to the more robust V10 I am used to, I have to admit that I have endured some weird issues in V11 - too many to mention - Through various assists and outside the box thinking I thought I had managed to overcome them, or had managed to find the established way to circumvent the various problems confronting me in V11 (perhaps I have, except for distribution...).
                      The fact is that as a business I need to be able to distribute the applications I have developed.
                      Be it with C++ or Alpha.
                      Time is money and because I am an Alpha Software customer who has spent thousands of pounds with them I expect Alpha to step up to the plate and tell me how to resolve this major (expensive) issue.
                      I also expect their response to be friendly and not overly technical - as this is the pitch about the quality and experience for lay people when buying their product...
                      Sorry again for any unintentional effrontery,

Paul
                      Last edited by pulsoft; 11-22-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I am confused. Can we start over again. The back and forth on this thread has me confused.

1. What problem are you trying to solve? Is the problem:

a) you can't get you app to work
                        b) you can't install your app on another machine

Comment

See Selwyn's post # 10.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
                            Paul,

Sorry I can't help, only share your frustration because I have similar problems when trying to load a V11 Runtime on to an XP PC, have yet to get it running. I have made a decision to hold back on distribution of V11, will never be practical if it can't run on XP.

Michael
                            I can't comment on why you can't get V11 to run on your XP machine, but there is absolutely no question at all - zero - that a5v11 runs fine on XP machines.

The only difference between V10 and V11 is that the .Net Framework V4 must be installed for V11.

Comment

"I am confused. Can we start over again. The back and forth on this thread has me confused.

1. What problem are you trying to solve? Is the problem:

a) you can't get you app to work
                              b) you can't install your app on another machine"

My complaint is as follows:

If you as a development tool developer provide a feature that claims to enable you to install an "Alpha" developed application by means of utilising your purchase of an unlimited run-time option and that advertised feature subsequently fails to provide what it purports to be able to do for you... Then that suggests to me that claims regarding installation capabilities should be tempered with the known limits of the product in question.
                              Organisations failing to offer this advice are (in the UK at least) probably breaking the law.

Sorry if I ruffle A5 V11 feathers here there and any where else...

Apart from possibly having a vested interest in Alpha - Who is Mr. Greulich?

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X