Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another PC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another P

I installed the dotnet4 framework and then tried the V11 installation again. No luck again... Eventually getting the same memory write error regarding shortcutcreator.exe.
    During the installation I noticed the x86 file you mention above being installed. When I looked in the folder the install created the dotnet framework had been installed, a massive 46 gigs.

Do you know what the shortcut command would have been if the installation had managed to create it? the database is called "cbfreebie" and the folder it installs to is "c:\firstrate"

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Re: Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another P

A5V11 requires the .Net 4 Framework and the C++ runtime files. The installers for these are available from Microsoft.

The a5v11 runtime installer will install these on your machine automatically.

If you build your own installer using the InstallMaker that comes with a5, it will only install a5 runtime files. It does NOT install .net files, or the c++ runtime files.
      You will need to ensure that these files are on the machine before running your a5 install. The install files for .net and c++ runtime files come from microsoft and are freely distributable.

04/30/2010 09:06 AM 889,416 dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe
      04/30/2010 09:06 AM 50,449,456 dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
      05/28/2010 04:56 PM 5,073,240 vcredist_x86.exe

Comment

Paul,

A big bunch of us use astrum installer for what you are trying to do. I am not trying to give alpha's program all the blame here, sometimes it is how it is used or the machine being used. Have you tried sending your installation and app to someone else(who is real familiar with alpha) to see what their experience with it is?

While alpha's installation package works ok, but does not have the robustness and extra abilities needed for installing on many various machines.

***As a note: I include the .net files with my installs and install it with astrum as a first step. That way all is in place before the end user can click the startup icon for the app.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks Dave, if Astrum does the job then great - I'll buy it now.
          I have never used an install package before trying to get to grips with the one in Alpha as traditionally I have never released a mass market product before.
          Is there a crib sheet available that details what Alpha files are required and what registry entries need to be made? or, do I have to create some sort of hybrid installation using Astrum to install the parts that Alpha doesn't and then run the Alpha install from within Astrum?
          Thanks again for your constructive reply.
          Paul

Comment

I was not knocking alpha's installer at all. I just happened to be using astrum before they got this going and I need it for other stuff sometimes.

There is some discussion on how different ones install available on this forum. I will give you what I do and you look at some other discussions and use what works best for you.

I install the runtime and all files in a folder on the c:\ drive.
            I put the application in a folder under the runtime.
            delete any non needed files.
            I make sure all this is working as planned before proceeding.
            make a link to the app on your desktop that works as you want. I make my own .exe, but most do not.
            in astrum, you include all the files(that is the whole thing), your dotnet installer, and c++ runtimes as Selwyn stated above.
            Astrum runs these needed files and can do it before the install or whenever you choose in the install.
            astrum can also get your registry information(there are directions in astrum) and install them as you install.
            It will take you a few tries to get astrum working the way you want, but it is not hard.

If you want, go to www.racerssetup.com download and install my racers app there. It will even have the astrum install I used to get it made. I do some thing I am told I do not need, but it works for me.

Good Luck
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks Dave, you're a star,

Paul

Comment

04/30/2010 09:06 AM 889,416 dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe
                04/30/2010 09:06 AM 50,449,456 dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
                05/28/2010 04:56 PM 5,073,240 vcredist_x86.exe
                1. Can someone please explain the difference between the first and second dotnet files above and which to install, are they for different OS versions?
                2. Should we expect the V11Runtime engine to run alone without the .net4 framework being installed (i.e before trying to open the App) or does the engine itself also require the the .net framework to be present?
                3. Can we normally expect that Windows 7 OS's are now shipped with the .net4 framework be preloaded?

I'm trying to get a clearer picture of the requirements

Thanks

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
                  1. Can someone please explain the difference between the first and second dotnet files above and which to install, are they for different OS versions?
                  dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe is the full stand-alone installer for x86 and x64. It contains all the components that are required to deploy the .NET Framework 4.

dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe is a web bootstrapper installer. It downloads the required components from the Web during setup. Each package requires an Internet connection and detects, downloads, and installs required components and the language pack that matches the language of the user’s operating system.

You can use either one and they will both work on all supported OSes. See .NET Framework Deployment Guide for Developers for complete details.

2. Should we expect the V11Runtime engine to run alone without the .net4 framework being installed (i.e before trying to open the App) or does the engine itself also require the the .net framework to be present?
                  The .Net Framework is required to run V11, so it must be installed first.

3. Can we normally expect that Windows 7 OS's are now shipped with the .net4 framework be preloaded?
                  No. Windows 7 ships with the 3.5 framework. Vista and 2008 ship with 3.0.

Lenny Forziati
                  Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                  Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Lenny,

Thanks, a lot clearer now, we have now managed to get the V11Runtime running on our test XP PC. We had WindowsXP service pack 2 loaded and this threw up errors on the various installs, we have now switched to Windows XP Servicepack3 and this allows all the various installs OK, V11Runtime runs smoothly.

Thanks again
                    Michael
                    www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Dave, you're a star

Make sure it all works first please and remember, I learned it from other folks on here and not alone.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Michael, Paul, could we have a time out?

Selwyn. If I understand your comments - and Happy Thanksgiving and all that.
                        1) Building and deploying an application using the Install Maker will only deploy the Alpha Engine and Application Files. It does not, and will not deploy the .Net framework.
                        2) Installing the Alpha RunTime engine will request .Net installation as well.
                        3) Running the Install Maker is significantly different in V9 and V10/V11.
                        So, if one needs to install a "packaged item" as with V9, this is not possible in V10 or V11 using the Install maker alone?
                        The Wiki does not make it clear that V10/V11 actually requires deployment intervention and additional software (.Net).
                        Is there any way that the Install Maker could prompt for .Net4?
                        See our Hybrid Option here;
                        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

If you build your own installer using the InstallMaker that comes with a5, it will only install a5 runtime files. It does NOT install .net files, or the c++ runtime files.
                          You will need to ensure that these files are on the machine before running your a5 install. The install files for .net and c++ runtime files come from microsoft and are freely distributable.
                          Makes the a5 installer package of very little use. Hmm... , at one point I was kicking myself for buying a really good installer(not really). The a5 installer does a good job..kinda, but does not install things and it is kinda hard to install stuff from alpha if you can't start it.

Can someone make a small installer file with c++, vb, vba or something that will install these apps that are needed?
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Spot on Dave, even a bit of information in the Preferred Help - as in the Wiki -would be better than nothing.
                            See our Hybrid Option here;
                            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Hi Dave
                              Thanks for your explanation - installing multiple times is essential to you for reselling your app.
                              For additional assistance with what you do, some questions...
                              Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                              ...I install the runtime and all files in a folder on the c:\ drive.
                              I put the application in a folder under the runtime.isn't the application A5 runtime?
                              delete any non needed files.
                              I make sure all this is working as planned before proceeding.
                              make a link to the app on your desktop that works as you want. I make my own .exe, How ? do you rename A5 runtime, or use a compiler?

Comment

Well, I just learned some new stuff(to me) from astrum - see below.

I left instructions in the code archive a long time ago how I make my startup .exe. Others had some other ideas they left there for me as well. You can copy a link from the desktop into the install and have it put on the recieving computer's desktop. Alpha5.exe is renamed to alda.exe in my apps.

I have been using astrum to install:
                                before the app is installed:
                                .net and c++ runtimes
                                then
                                copy the runtime and app to a folder
                                (runtime is a copy of my install) I do not install from the alpha runtime .exe. I have eliminated most of the nonessential files before entering them in the astrum installer.
                                then
                                create needed links on the desktop and other.
                                register dll's through astrum

I invite all to download the application at www.racerssetup.com to see how this works. One bit of being careful: the registry files could get changed a bit. Stuff like changing how autoexec is used and being able to use shift+ctrl on start. Anything you see I could do better would be appreciated too.

-----------------------------

What I learned at astrum: You can make an install and then include the install in another install. I will play with that for a bit, but the main install would put the second install on disk, install runtime(if you want-i dont), install .net, install c++, Then run the second install for the application and runtime as I do it, then register the dlls.

It would be better if the installer from alpha could handle these things for the user. That is only my humble opinion.
                                Dave Mason
                                [email protected]
                                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                                X