Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another PC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another P

I'm an Alpha developer.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Re: Frustration and more frustration trying to install a V11 desktop app on another P

Good for you... Where do you keep your helicopter?

Comment

Just because you are having a bad day doesn't mean you need to attack those who are trying to help.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by pulsoft View Post
          "I am confused. Can we start over again. The back and forth on this thread has me confused.

1. What problem are you trying to solve? Is the problem:

a) you can't get you app to work
          b) you can't install your app on another machine"

My complaint is as follows:

If you as a development tool developer provide a feature that claims to enable you to install an "Alpha" developed application by means of utilising your purchase of an unlimited run-time option and that advertised feature subsequently fails to provide what it purports to be able to do for you... Then that suggests to me that claims regarding installation capabilities should be tempered with the known limits of the product in question.
          Organisations failing to offer this advice are (in the UK at least) probably breaking the law.

Sorry if I ruffle A5 V11 feathers here there and any where else...

Apart from possibly having a vested interest in Alpha - Who is Mr. Greulich?

Paul

You are not ruffling anything. People on this forum are simply trying to help you. Let's just stick to the issue, which I am STILL not clear about.

Is the issue that you can't install your app using the InstallMaker that comes with A5, or is it something else?

If the issue is simply that you can't install your app using InstallMaker, then I suspect it is because of the .net framework, which I have previously mentioned.

The Installmaker allows you to create an install for a) both the runtime files and your app files, or b) just your app files.

You should choose option b.

That leaves you with the task of getting the a5 runtime files installed on the target machine. I suggested earlier in this thread that the easiest way to do this is by distributing the a5 runtime install program itself.

If you don't want to do that (for some reason that you have not made clear), then you can use a 3rd party install program. If you are going to use a 3rd party install program, then you might as well have it install your app files as well - not just the runtime files.

Comment

Originally posted by pulsoft View Post
            Good for you... Where do you keep your helicopter?
            If you install teamviewer on the XP machine maybe I can help two see more then one we are in the same timezone

Comment

"You are not ruffling anything. People on this forum are simply trying to help you. Let's just stick to the issue, which I am STILL not clear about.

Is the issue that you can't install your app using the InstallMaker that comes with A5, or is it something else?

If the issue is simply that you can't install your app using InstallMaker, then I suspect it is because of the .net framework, which I have previously mentioned.

The Installmaker allows you to create an install for a) both the runtime files and your app files, or b) just your app files.

You should choose option b.

That leaves you with the task of getting the a5 runtime files installed on the target machine. I suggested earlier in this thread that the easiest way to do this is by distributing the a5 runtime install program itself.

If you don't want to do that (for some reason that you have not made clear), then you can use a 3rd party install program. If you are going to use a 3rd party install program, then you might as well have it install your app files as well - not just the runtime files."

What?

Read my posts - don't hide your real acknowledgement and your feigned arrogant indifference about the composition of my previous posts.

It is obvious what my issues with the documented Alpha 5 V11 developed application install features are.

When you reply, please try answering in non-technical language...

Thanks, Paul

Comment

Hi Eric, thanks for the offer - Sane individual that you are...

However, it is essential that Alpha sort this issue out.

What is the point in spending large amounts of money on a set of products that fail to deliver what is promised and alluded to?

I would like to touch base with you in the near future - you seem to identify with my frustrations with Alpha - albeit, sensibly it would seem, without voicing your frustrations openly.

Thanks again,

Paul
                Last edited by pulsoft; 11-22-2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

"Just because you are having a bad day doesn't mean you need to attack those who are trying to help."

Sorry, you should see me in sunglasses....
                  I appreciate your time (as an Alpha guru and of course as the developer of various Alpha related web products) in looking at the posts and offering your help where you feel you can contribute.
                  I have had several bad days recently re. Alpha 5 V11 - I am sorry if I am venting my frustration on the Alpha forum - I certainly do not wish to attack any one...
                  Especially, those that wish to help.

Regards,

Paul

Comment

Paul,

I'm really happy with my choice for A5 although I only use web.
                    Well it is your choice by Alpha to dissolve because they are the supplier.
                    You have several options were offered to include Selwyn in person
                    What other dealer does this for you? I do not know them.
                    Take a drink Scotch Malt is better not to get as they say.
                    Tomorrow I am sure it will be solved.
                    See you at touch base. cheers Eric

Comment

I'm really happy with my choice for A5 although I only use web.
                      Well if your choice is by Alpha to dissolve because they are the supplier.
                      You have several options were offered to include Selwyn in person
                      What other dealer does this for you? I do not know them.
                      Take a drink Scotch Malt is better not to get as they say.
                      Tomorrow will be opgelos.
                      See you at touch base. cheers Eric

Hi there Eric,

I like a drink too.

What I have been experiencing is glee with the product - major disappointment with the hoped for end result.

This spotify track best sums up how I feel now...

http://open.spotify.com/track/3LhgCAkyHoW1AEYOcjccT7

Thanks for your Alpha loyalty.

Regards,

Paul

Comment

There is a new challenge and that is to make you a happy A5 developer

bedtime.

Comment

Yes, it is midnight here.

Sleep well - tomorrow the brickbats for my taunts and questioning...

Essentially, Message to Alpha - V11 Desktop related - Please provide as much support here (even if just relevant to deployment) as you are for the web, etc.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Could this be the problem, attached is a list of the required OSs to accept dotnet4 framework from the MS site. As you can see there is no mention of 'XP service pack 2' (Only 3)

dot net4 reqquirements.png

Michael
                            Last edited by Michael Humby; 11-23-2011, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that Michael, however, my other PC is running SP3.

Because Selwyn (Alpha) seems to be sidestepping the issue by asking for clarification of the problem, even though I consider it to have been well documented above, I am going to write a small application in V10 and create an install executable. If this works on the XP SP3 PC then there is obviously something amiss with V11 and if it doesn't then there is either a problem with the PC or dotnet4 is not correctly installed.

BTW Michael, is it a pre-requisite that dotnet4 must be installed on the host pc for any distributed alpha 5 v11 application - or does the alpha installer take care of this?

Thanks again,

Paul

Comment

is it a pre-requisite that dotnet4 must be installed on the host pc for any distributed alpha 5 v11 application - or does the alpha installer take care of this?
                                I am not certain how this is supposed to work ie: if the Runtime .exe automatically installs or if we have to select one of the DotNet.exe files in the V11 Runtime folder and run that manually.

dotnetFrameworkAlpha.png

If it is a manual operation which of these two files that we should be concerned with.

These are the questions that I need answers for

Michael
                                Last edited by Michael Humby; 11-23-2011, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X