Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Simple data manipulation - where to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple data manipulation - where to start

In short, can anybody point me to resources and examples of xbasic being used for data manipulation?

I trawled through about 9 hours of training for the version 10 release, and, as is too often the case, there's a fetish with applications and hardly more than a few minutes reference to real data manipulation (above and beyond getting, editing and storing). I want to be able to open a couple of dbfs, set filters on both, compare data in records with the same URN in a loop, carry out a mathematical function, and write the results to the table. I can do this in Foxpro in about 7 minutes, but in Alpha I just do not know where to start, and it's clear that though many command names are the same, the way it is structured is very different.

Any URLs with helpful tips would be much appreciated!

Re: Simple data manipulation - where to start

See the Xbasic programming puzzles for some good examples.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Stan. I'll make a start there.

Comment

Originally posted by grahamrhind View Post
        I want to be able to open a couple of dbfs, set filters on both, compare data in records with the same URN in a loop, carry out a mathematical function, and write the results to the table. I can do this in Foxpro in about 7 minutes, but in Alpha I just do not know where to start, and it's clear that though many command names are the same, the way it is structured is very different.
        You are absolutely correct Graham, you can do these operations very swiftly with much simpler code in the <dbase> derivatives - Fox, Clipper, Visual Dbase. I too couldn't understand why simplecode had to be made so difficult. See response to my post in May this year http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ipting-dialect

Coming from Foxpro you will have no trouble understanding the puzzles. Where the big difference appears is in the apparent difficulty of table data manipulation.
        What took me a long while to figure out, coming from that environment myself, is that Alpha allows you to operate at many more levels and as a result you need to be very specific when coding, about which object, at what level you refer and for what purpose. This allows alpha to offer automated table, form and set methods (to mention a few) to run concurrently, adjudicate locking, handle multiple instances of the same table data etc with your code. Also eliminating a whole lot of of coding for user information purposes.
        I found that by doing my end of the learning, making the effort to apply it and post specific problems (as opposed to general) that there are a whole bunch of people here that will arrive at the scene to help.

Comment

Thanks Ray. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue and that is can be overcome. I could never understand why new data-orientated languages are so complex, needing pages of code to do something that xbase languages do in one line. I read a book about ado.net, for example, and was none the wiser at the end.

I think it's just a matter of getting my head around the what and the why (like I had to when moving from Foxpro 2.6 to the object-orientated VFP 3) and the how will come by itself. It is a frustration that so much is written about all the high-end stuff (web, sql back ends and so on) which I have no need for, and so little about what I think of as the basics. I just need to have something to manipulate my data when Foxpro stops working ...

Comment

Graham, sounds like what you want is in the Operations section of the CP (Control Panel).
            Join/Subtract/Summarise are all in there.
            I've done what you are planning on some pretty big tables of about 1m large records using the bult in functions. Suggest you try those before coding, as the code produced is viewable and nearly always correct. But then it does exactly what you ask.
            See our Hybrid Option here;
            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I just need to have something to manipulate my data when Foxpro stops working ...
              Is that your main purpose for using Alpha5?

Comment

@Ted Thanks Ted, that would certainly give me a kick start.

@Ray Yes. If Microsoft would make sure that Foxpro works on all future operating systems, I would stick with it. As it is, I have to be prepared for the moment that VFP stops working on a new OS. That said, there is a part of my work that does need to work with back end databases that don't have the 2GB size limit and which support Unicode. I haven't worked out a good way of doing this yet with Alpha, but baby steps ....

Comment

Graham, the collection of articles at www.learn alpha.com have been very useful to me over the years.

Dr. Wayne's book "Xbasic for Everyone" (last released in 2008 I think) remains very good, as well.

This message board has a "Code Archive" forum filled with working examples of all sorts of different code. Check it out.

Last, but not least, you should know that this board also supports uploads, so you could upload a couple of sample tables with a post describin what you would want your script to achieve. You will very likely get several different solutions shortly.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks Tom.

Comment

And here Graham,
                      http://www.csda1.com/index.html.
                      Suggest you go for Tom's advice and upload some non-sensitive data filled tables.
                      The response will vary from exceptional and detailed code, to a totally non-code answer using the built in functions. (The last one will probably be me.)
                      See our Hybrid Option here;
                      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

In short, can anybody point me to resources and examples of xbasic being used for data manipulation?

I trawled through about 9 hours of training for the version 10 release, and, as is too often the case, there's a fetish with applications and hardly more than a few minutes reference to real data manipulation (above and beyond getting, editing and storing). I want to be able to open a couple of dbfs, set filters on both, compare data in records with the same URN in a loop, carry out a mathematical function, and write the results to the table. I can do this in Foxpro in about 7 minutes, but in Alpha I just do not know where to start, and it's clear that though many command names are the same, the way it is structured is very different.

Any URLs with helpful tips would be much appreciated!

The best thing I've found for this is the Advanced Desktop Training Videos. You also can get many of the basis from the X-basic 101 training Videos. (I They come with the subscription, but I'm sure the must be available by other means too.) ~ Lots of information to sort through.

I watched them (and others) at home numerous times in the Win Media Player, (at high speed) while taking time-stamped notes & trying things. (Invaluable examples for learning IMHO!) ~Especially if you're on "an oasis" and you have to learn all this autonomously!

If you have either of these training videos, check out this link. They are the notes I took along with time stamps. NOTE: I' have updated them a bit with a few corrections and additions since then, but I think this will help.
                        Last edited by SNusa; 02-05-2012, 04:38 PM.
                        Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                        It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                        RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Thanks Robert. I did watch those videos for version 10, and they did give a basis, but not nearly data-orientated enough to be of much use for me - as I mentioned, they're app-orientated to the nth degree and the needs of data managers isn't covered. At least, not for my needs.

Comment

Thanks Robert. I did watch those videos for version 10, and they did give a basis, but not nearly data-orientated enough to be of much use for me - as I mentioned, they're app-orientated to the nth degree and the needs of data managers isn't covered. At least, not for my needs.
                            I tried to help...

PS: After watching these videos, (and piecing together everything else available online from Alpha, plus my notes and a couple of older small spiral bound a5 books no longer available) I'm pretty sure I can do just about anything I want regarding data manipulation directly from within X-basic code. (on .dbf files at least, right down to creating & manipulating tables on the fly etc.) ~ I'm presently researching before I "migrate" to mySQL, because I'm not quite sure I'm ready for that yet...... (even though in the past I have worked with MS SQL outside of Alpha 5)
                            Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                            It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                            RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Graham
                              If you have gained some ground or succeeded in your quest, give us some ideas on what that looks like.

If not then please follow the advice to post some selected specifics or sample of what you mean.
                              This thread is titled "simple data manipulation". This is too broad a description for any kind of answer.
                              As you know, application software has three broad divisions
                              Data input, data manipulation and data output/result.
                              The first is what usually presents the biggest hurdle to newcomers resulting in a lot of focus on that.
                              The second has huge scope for different purposes and we always expect ours to be the norm. it appears that applies here.
                              Regards
                              Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X