Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Installing V11 requiring .net4 and c++

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing V11 requiring .net4 and c++

Hi All,

There has been another thread on this subject that has somehow lost its way and given the subject a bad name so I would like to start this new thread that focuses on the core subject of automatically installing V11 Runtime apps from a CD or download using a third party installer

We are not looking at a manual install this is not the problem, our aim is to prepare an install.exe that can be shipped on a CD or as a download that does not require any user PC knowledge or input. This has been pretty straight forward in the past but now we must introduce the .net4 and c++ stuff so until I can automate this I must hold back on shipping the later Runtime versions of V10.5 and V11.( DaveM seems to have a solution but has not yet applied it successfully)

I am presently considering a method to install both a dummy app with the older V10 engine that will run with or without .net4 together with the real app and V11 engine, then use xbasic within the dummy V10 app to check if .net4 and c++ exists and force the user to load if necessary then overwrite the shortcut .startup so that future starts will apply the V11 engine and make the V10 engine redundant. Hopefully the user then will only need a 'yes or no' dialog decision to install .net and c++ if indeed it is required. To achieve this I would need to know the xbasic to detect .net 4 or c++ existance, can any one help.

Michael
    www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk
    Last edited by Michael Humby; 12-04-2011, 11:12 AM.

Re: Installing V11 requiring .net4 and c++

Given Selwyn's comments, which I thought were pretty clear Mike, have you tried;

Copy the V11 Runtime Instalation Pack to the CD - you may need to copy the Patches as well.
    Use the A5 Installer to create the Files Only for implementation.

Create an Autoexec (in the old days - a Batch File) to run the RT install, followed by the Application.
    This should have the effect of installing C++ and .Net4, followed by the app.

I don't have V11 yet as I remain unconvinced of its value in the DT arena, but that's what I'd ry.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Ted,

V11 seems to be far 'snappier' and the desktop apps can now show the better new charts (we currently show Google charts that are a bit basic) are the main reasons for moving to V11 in my case.

I don't think your suggestion would work for me, it would mean two installs one for the Runtime and then another for the normal third party install and be too complicated for a user downloading our system or running from a CD. I really need someone to help me with the Xbasic to check if .net4 and/or c+++ already exists, I can then do the rest.

I need help creating the Xbasic to check the following and give me a Yes/No if .net4 already exists, I can then create a script that will more user friendly and require zero user input when loading a V11 application

item: Get Registry Key Value
      Variable=DOTNETFULL
      Key=SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full\
      Default=NotFound
      Value Name=Install
      Flags=00000100
      end
      item: Get Registry Key Value
      Variable=DOTNETCLIENT
      Key=SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client\
      Default=NotFound
      Value Name=Install
      Flags=00000100
      end
      I can easily check using the 'regedit' on my own Pc's but i want Xbasic to tell me if it exists.

Michael
      Last edited by Michael Humby; 12-05-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Michael:

You can use the registry.sys_get() function so that

Code:
        Netval = Registry.sys_get("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full\Install")
        and

Code:
        netval2 = Registry.sys_get("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client\Install")
        If you look at those registry keys you will see that you can also get the install path among other information.
        Finian

Comment

Finian

Many thanks, simple as that. All i need now is to find where c++ is stored in the Registry.

I can then write a script in v10 (prior to .net being required) that will automate the .net and c++ check and install, hopefully i can post this script so that other users can do the same.

Michael

Comment

For anyone that might be interested this is a simple way to check if .netv4 exists and gives you a simple method of instructing the user from within the Alpha system as against trying to force it in your 3rd party install program.

'If your 3rd party installer loads both a v10.5 runtime engine (prior to the version of v10.5 that requires dot.net changes) and also the v11 runtime engine
            'Your shortcut could then open the v10 engine with a dummy application
            'The following could easily be present in the autoexec of the v10 Dummy application
            'So if .netv4 exists it simply closes and switches to the v11 engine
            'if it does not exist then forces the user to install .netv4
            'You would have complete control of the user input from within Alpha instead of your installer
            'This would be a one-off operation and afterwards the v10 engine would be redundant
            'the user would then automatically be using the v11 engine
            'It assumes that a copy of Microsoft 'dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe' exists in your v10runtime folder

Dim Netval as c
            Dim path as c
            path=a5.Get_exe_Path()
            Dim Dotnet as c
            dotNet = "dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe"
            Netval = Registry.sys_get("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full\Install")
            msg1="The system has detected that you do not have Microsoft .net4 installed"
            msg2="Please follow the Microsoft instructions to load .net4"
            'etc etc

if netval <> "1" then
            ui_msg_box("Note",msg1+chr(10)+msg2)
            sys_open(path+chr(92)+dotNet)
            else
            ui_msg_box("Note",".netv4 already installed!")
            'type in your own else instruction here!
            'so forcing the user to quit v10 and automatically reopen using your v11 engine shortcut
            end
            end if
            Michael
            Last edited by Michael Humby; 12-05-2011, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Nice one Michael.

Do you have the code that would then ask the user if they want to download and install the DotNet, if it is not there?
              Regards
              Keith Hubert
              Alpha Guild Member
              London.
              KHDB Management Systems
              Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith,

If you read again you will see the 'Sys_open .......' line does this, it assumes that you ship the Microsoft 'dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe' in the V10runtime folder

Hopefully, this will simplify 3rd part installs since it can be very difficult to manipulate the user action with the installer.

Michael

Michael

Comment

Hi Michael,

Cant this be part of the Bootstrap?
                  Regards
                  Keith Hubert
                  Alpha Guild Member
                  London.
                  KHDB Management Systems
                  Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith,

I don't see how or why, the point of this install method is because V11 engine will not run, full stop unless .net4 is installed first so nothing to do with networking.

Michael

Comment

With astrum, You can develope an install that conditionally installs .net4 and places your files and stuff. You can make and install to conditionally install your application files some where else. You can put one install inside the other if you want.

I did put a desire for installing c++ runtime and .net4 in the ideascale found at :
                      http://alphasoftware.ideascale.com/ and it has seven votes so far. The headline is Desktop - Alpha Installer - .net and c++
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

This is a quote from alpha and probably works if you can run alpha without .net. It is done a bit different with astrum and much cleaner because astrum reads it for you. This would require 2 runtime installs and then run this in a bootstrap of the 1st install?

'If your 3rd party installer loads both a v10.5 runtime engine (prior to the version of v10.5 that requires dot.net changes) and also the v11 runtime engine
                        'Your shortcut could then open the v10 engine with a dummy application
                        'The following could easily be present in the autoexec of the v10 Dummy application
                        'So if .netv4 exists it simply closes and switches to the v11 engine
                        'if it does not exist then forces the user to install .netv4
                        'You would have complete control of the user input from within Alpha instead of your installer
                        'This would be a one-off operation and afterwards the v10 engine would be redundant
                        'the user would then automatically be using the v11 engine
                        'It assumes that a copy of Microsoft 'dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe' exists in your v10runtime folder

Dim Netval as c
                        Dim path as c
                        path=a5.Get_exe_Path()
                        Dim Dotnet as c
                        dotNet = "dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe"
                        msg1="The system has detected that you do not have Microsoft .net4 installed"
                        msg2="Please follow the Microsoft instructions to load .net4"
                        'etc etc

if netval <> "1" then
                        ui_msg_box("Note",msg1+chr(10)+msg2)
                        sys_open(path+chr(92)+dotNet)
                        else
                        ui_msg_box("Note",".netv4 already installed!")
                        'type in your own else instruction here!
                        'so forcing the user to quit v10 and automatically reopen using your v11 engine shortcut
                        end
                        end if
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Michael,

I have my installer working great except the c++ runtime. Alpha has not gotten back to me on that one, but Selwyn seems to think they just run the c++ package anyways. They do not test for it. The one from astrum has not yet panned out on any other than 64 bit win7 and then I have reasons to doubt.

I am not going to worry about it and continue on.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
                            Hi All,

There has been another thread on this subject that has somehow lost its way and given the subject a bad name so I would like to start this new thread that focuses on the core subject of automatically installing V11 Runtime apps from a CD or download using a third party installer

We are not looking at a manual install this is not the problem, our aim is to prepare an install.exe that can be shipped on a CD or as a download that does not require any user PC knowledge or input. This has been pretty straight forward in the past but now we must introduce the .net4 and c++ stuff so until I can automate this I must hold back on shipping the later Runtime versions of V10.5 and V11.( DaveM seems to have a solution but has not yet applied it successfully)

I am presently considering a method to install both a dummy app with the older V10 engine that will run with or without .net4 together with the real app and V11 engine, then use xbasic within the dummy V10 app to check if .net4 and c++ exists and force the user to load if necessary then overwrite the shortcut .startup so that future starts will apply the V11 engine and make the V10 engine redundant. Hopefully the user then will only need a 'yes or no' dialog decision to install .net and c++ if indeed it is required. To achieve this I would need to know the xbasic to detect .net 4 or c++ existance, can any one help.

Michael
                            You can do this whole thing with Astrum - 1). install the application files first out of your program folder to your install folder, 2). then the Runtime and all subfolders out of its folder over the top of your app install folder (make sure you set up Astrum to regsvr32 the appropriate runtime dlls that need registering. There are six of them: a5controls.dll, a5contexteval.dll, and 4 prefixed with "Codejok...dll"), 3. then the desktop shortcuts (Use the built-in alpha mini-installer to generate the shortcut), manuals, etc. and 4). then the .NET and the C++ (put these exe's in your main program sub-folder or in the main program folder itself so they are available when Astrum needs them).

Do you really care if the end user has .NET or the VS10 C++ installed and how do you know whether they are correctly installed? They will just overwrite the existing install or prompt for an overwrite/repair. You may want to instruct the user to do a repair if asked for to be sure the stuff is installed correctly. There are some command line switches available for the .NET and C++ exe's if I recall on Microsoft. You may be able to do a a silent install of either of these with an auto-overwrite.
                            Regards,
                            Chet Sapino
                            President,
                            SAPINO Enterprises
                            6451 Pheasant Rd
                            East Syracuse, NY 13057

Comment

Working...
                            X