Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Tutorial Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Tutorial Videos

I love the tutorial videos and have often wondered who does them? Does anyone know if the person doing the videos has a profile somewhere with a name and picture so I can put a face to the voice?

The time and effort is most definitely appreciated!! That is several over-all hours of free videos that is a constant source material I reference on a regular basis! So thanks whoever you are, and thanks to Alpha Software for providing it (not many software companies do that and its exceptional).

Re: Alpha Tutorial Vidoes

Selwyn Rabins is doing most if not all; they are indeed invaluable.
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Most, but not all.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I just wish courses billed as advanced - would actually cover advanced material - stop covering what a field and a record are ... very frustrating. I have 3 desktop courses and they're all basically the same ...

Comment

What do you want to know?
          There are a few of us who would put together a screencast for a specific item you wanted to know about.
          (As long as it's not Geography - I'm cr*p at maps and all that stuff.)
          See our Hybrid Option here;
          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

As you might know, I do some of the instructional videos that ya'll see.

There's little question that "more" and "more advanced" training and instruction would be welcome. A question that immediately arises for me when I see a thread like this is "what should be in such a training video?" Alpha Five is such a wide, deep, broad product (and getting more so every week) that the challenge of providing "intermediate" or "advanced" training for a reasonably wide audience is quite a challenge.

Kind of following up on Ted's response here, but "What list of topics, subject matters, examples, etc. is going to be the most helpful to the most people?" We could cover 20 topics in substantial depth, but miss that 21st topic that would have meant so much more.

So I'm pursuing this in hopes of coming up with a topic list. Then, of course, we need to see if Alpha Software would like to produce such a training video (my guess is "yes") and one of us (hopefully me!) come up with time -- and soon enough time -- to produce the lessons.

Anyway, a bit of a rambling start I guess, but any feedback definitely welcome.
            -Steve
            sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure that a list will work Steve.
              As the questions are likely to be most varied, I suspect very specific screencasts are likely to give the questioner what they want.
              But - been wrong more than once before!

Comment

Or both! I think there's room for a lot of both, and I pitched in here to see what we might learn about peoples' wants and needs.
                -Steve
                sigpic

Comment

We'll see what Mark asks and suggests Steve.
                  Where do you have your screencast links?
                  To my shame, I don't think I've ever looked at any.

Comment

Re: Alpha Tutorial Videos

I very much appreciate the time & effort work that people such as Steve, Jay and Selwyn put in to their videos. They're very helpful. As you said, there's so much to learn in Alpha. My frustration arises when a course billed as Advanced Desktop goes back over basic material such as what is a table, a row, a field , a numeric field vs a character field, how to sort objects in the control panel. Otherwise the process of building an app from the ground up is great as well as the natural progression of building and deploying a deskop app over a network and adding web-based components to a desktop app.

I'll be repeating the process for the web, which seems even more daunting. Some differentiation between beginner, intermediate and advanced courses would be nice. People who take int/adv courses should be versed in the basics IMHO, and time shouldn't be spent reiterating basics unless it's to illustrate a particular point. I guess the difficulty is where to draw those distinctions ... I don't know everything Alpha is capable of - so I can't make suggestions, just that a course helps guide the natural progression ...

-Mark

Comment

IMHO, when learing Turkish as a language, I tried to move a bit too fast thinking I was a bit more tha a novice, and got deeply dispirited trying to understand traffic directions in the language.
                      Had to take a step or two back. That's why it's difficult to pitch courses at different levels such as beginner through advanced.
                      If there is a particular thing you would like to try out Mark, and are having difficulties, let us know.
                      Personally I like prefer the short sharp "try this" response to my questions as the response is usually focussed and succinct. The "What's new" Vids are a bit like that but they presume a knowledge level.

Alpha is capable of as much as you can imagine and I've usually found that if there is something I need to do - the developers have it mostly covered already.
                      On the other hand, the facilities offered by Xbasic are manifold and while I avoid coding as much as possible - preferring to stick with the original Alpha princilples - the features are almost endless.

Comment

Going back to the original post, allow me to use this thread to announce we have put together a nice collection of longer videos at http://alphadevnet.com/video.a5w. They include formal training videos by A5 Masters, Application Showcases, and some are shorter videos covering single subjects.

If you want to see some of the faces of the trainers, you can visit http://alphadevnet.com/webinars.a5w, middle tab for "Trainers".

Here is an index of what is there at present:
                        • Introduction to SQL
                        • SQL Reporting
                        • Alpha Five Web Applications - the Basics
                        • Alpha Five Desktop Applications - the Basics
                        • Introduction to CSS for Alpha Five Applications
                        • Javascript progress bar (silent)
                        • Dynamic Linked Content Areas ("Tab Groups")
                        • Filter Records by UserID
                        • Wendy Welton Showcase - Home Plan Sales
                        • Jeff Walczak Showcase - E-Truck Biz
                        • Steve Wood Showcase - Facility Mgmt System. (Presentation being made to client)
                        • Pat Bremkamp Showcase - ASQ
                        • Canadian Wireless Showcase

Note - login is required.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

I think A5 user needs can be fetched from the questions that are already asked which receive more attention (views/replies)! Once sorted by the level of difficulty, it'd provide a better perspective into what is need for intermediate and advanced users. If you target each advanced question for each user that'd be a lot of work and time involved unless you get paid for the individual advanced tutoring.

Happy new year

Comment

omit
                            Last edited by MarionT; 02-09-2012, 05:48 PM. Reason: changed my mind
                            MSQL since 2010
                            A5V11 since Feb 2012

Comment

I thank god for the people that take the time to put these videos together.
                              I know I am one of the dangerous people, knowledgeable enough to do more than
                              "Hello world", yet too busy with the job that pays the bills to RTFM as often as I should.

This last training video from Steve Workings finally included enough information for A5WS
                              that I think my long overdue project is back on track. I think security is a topic that fails
                              to get anywhere near enough attention, and even with what was done, I think there is more
                              that people like me just need a little shove to get me going. I should know more by the end
                              of the weekend, when if all goes well, I should be able to start testing in real-life, the benefits
                              of security and html5.
                              Gregg
                              https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Working...
                              X