Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Tutorial Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha Tutorial Videos

I suggest that there be an overall structure to the videos and content in them. Perhaps develop a tree diagram. Start with one node on desktop basics and another on web basics. Then below each have severate nodes covering topics of interest for the "next level" of learning A5. If you do this on paper (or visio) and view it and have various people comment on it, I think you can end up with somewhat shorter but more focused videos on the various topics.

(And yes I know that exists a structure to a log of short, focused videos that to a beginner seem to be on very advanced topics.)

Even on a topic such as grids I would see an "Advanced Basic", "Intermediate" and "Advanced". When you get to the advanced they probably should be "Advanced - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" where the x's is a specific topic or capability.

I also think that there should be listed prerequisites for each topic. If it were delivered from choosing off such a structure, the prereqs might be obvious. Buy instead of explaining some basics, as mentioned above, in a more advanced topic, the trainer could simply mention that "In this course you need to already know......." If you don't go back to some of the earlier material and perhaps reference some earlier training that covers those topics.

As a new user/evaluator I found learning even all the basics I needed to know to get a working sample web app running daunting. I have read various posts expressing "daunting" sometimes using different terms.

I got past my initial understanding issues by listening to (most so far) of the Steve Working video Volume I. But for a beginner/evaluator I do not believe that one should have to pay additional $ for learning that.

Just my thoughts. YMMV

Bob
    Bob Alston
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://webpages.charter.net/bobalston/bob1.htm
    Alpha five v11 Tips

Comment

Makes me wonder how we managed with just a big manual and trial and error with the early versions.
      Just get stuck in unless your living depends on delivering apps.
      The videos are great and informative IF you have tried something and failed or are looking for a different way of doing something.
      You have to view them from something slightly better than casual interest.
      The content on this Forum shows that there are so many ways to do something that it can be frightening.
      I had a comment back recently that the thread starter knew little about data definition and requirement definition.
      While this is something a casual developer might ignore, people paying for app. might bite you of it goes wrong.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Mr Workings et al - moving over to web based application development has been "interesting" - help / tutorial content that would seem to be useful would IMHO be:-
        methods to get / set grid data and properties
        grid refresh methods
        commonly used javascript code
        use of session variables to pass data between grids / web pages

I am sure that it has been asked before but a fairly complete list of the "e" object data properties would be useful.

Anyway these are the ramblings of an "aged" database application developer who cut his teeth in the DOS days and is now trying to take SQL, HTML and Javascript on board.

Comment

Originally posted by mjfunnell View Post
          Anyway these are the ramblings of an "aged" database application developer who cut his teeth in the DOS days and is now trying to take SQL, HTML and Javascript on board.
          Bit like a lot of us if the age demographics are to be believed!
          See our Hybrid Option here;
          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Pass the Sanatogen Ted !

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
              ....we have put together a nice collection of longer videos at http://alphadevnet.com/video.a5w. They include formal training videos by A5 Masters, Application Showcases, and some are shorter videos covering single subjects.

Here is an index of what is there at present:
              • Introduction to SQL
              • SQL Reporting
              • Alpha Five Web Applications - the Basics
              • Alpha Five Desktop Applications - the Basics
              • Introduction to CSS for Alpha Five Applications
              • Javascript progress bar (silent)
              • Dynamic Linked Content Areas ("Tab Groups")
              • Filter Records by UserID
              • Wendy Welton Showcase - Home Plan Sales
              • Jeff Walczak Showcase - E-Truck Biz
              • Steve Wood Showcase - Facility Mgmt System. (Presentation being made to client)
              • Pat Bremkamp Showcase - ASQ
              • Canadian Wireless Showcase

Note - login is required.
              I realise a year has passed since this post but has this list ben deleted? I have visited the IADN site and tried to view the videos listed, keep getting a browser error message. Has the video access been changed?

Comment

They seem to all work.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                  They seem to all work.
                  Yep, just revisited the list .. they do work. Must be the weather here -- or early onset of dementia!!
                  Thanks for taking the time to reassure me Steve.

Ron S

Comment

I should update a few that are out of date and I have a bunch of new ones.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Observation: some of those IADN videos (i.e. the "showcase" category) would be great to have mentioned/linked via the AS site!

Comment

I have a conversation with Richard coming up and we are working on a bit more 'coordination'.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Good to hear!

Wendy Welton/Home Plan Sales: "I'm not a professional developer; I'm an architect".

Priceless!

Comment

Here's a thought:

When presenting all these videos, wouldn't it be beneficial to present them not in a flat list, but in a hierarchical tree list. (So as to help users "connect the dots" as they study/learn.) ~ And then label them with attributes regarding the "difficulty levels."

Tables lead to sets, sets lead to layouts, and on each topic, have nodes that expand to encompass the different features and capabilities, along with "how-to's" and other relevant info. ~ "Build it like a tree." In most cases, the further out on a branch/node you go, the more "in-depth" (advanced) the material is likely to be.

This would not only address the "redundancy issue" (what & where to begin explaining), but would also make it much easier to "navigate" and hone in on "material(s) of interest." ~And of course, with this basic structure in place, you could always "cross-link" nodes to get from one spot/concept to another related one. Essentially you'd be building an "online brain!" (And thus would presumably end up with a bunch of extremely short (easy to plan & produce) videos which which could also be quickly "absorbed" by the "student" in a logical order.)
                            If course material was built around this structure (and not the other way around) there would be a "built-in road map" to not only follow, but to use as a reference too!

IMHO, the problem is not really the existing availability of content. It's the way in which it is organized. It needs structure. (And to do it "right", much of it has to be re-done.) Most of the stuff that Selwyn has created could be directly embedded into to a/this hierarchical tree list. But there's a lot of filling in. (The course material in the long video courses, most of which I have watched) would have to be included. (Some of which would need to be "re-done.") ~ Although much of this existing material could be edited into small "chunks" and thus be preserved.

A reference like this is the kind of reference that should be readily available to subscription holders and/or available to anyone else. But for others, a premium for access to this caliber of material could easily be justified! (and probably should be)

PS: The existing in-depth online training courses are great by the way! You just have to commit a ton of time, and be willing to deal with a lot of redundancy amongst these courses to "absorb the material."
                            Last edited by SNusa; 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM.
                            Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                            It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                            RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
                              Here's a thought:

When presenting all these videos, wouldn't it be beneficial to present them not in a flat list, but in a hierarchical tree list. (So as to help users "connect the dots" as they study/learn.) ~ And then label them with attributes regarding the "difficulty levels."
                              What a great idea Robert, that makes perfect sense to me. I think a 'tree' approach is exactly what is needed to collate all the available instructional and informative material. However, there also needs to be some sort of 'primer' as to the start point depending on version. I'm relatively new to Alpha but already a fan. My greatest difficulty with it is trying to make sense (if that's the right word) of the available information out there. I know there's a lot but the sheer volume of available material together with a 'newbies' ignorance of title/subject meaning makes it near impossible to decide on a logical progression. Then again, it's also mixed up with the various versions. I am learning that you can benefit from earlier version tutorials and videos as these are built on in later release versions, but it's not immediately obvious.

Tables lead to sets, sets lead to layouts, and on each topic, have nodes that expand to encompass the different features and capabilities, along with "how-to's" and other relevant info. ~ "Build it like a tree." In most cases, the further out on a branch/node you go, the more "in-depth" (advanced) the material is likely to be.

This would not only address the "redundancy issue" (what & where to begin explaining), but would also make it much easier to "navigate" and hone in on "material(s) of interest." ~And of course, with this basic structure in place, you could always "cross-link" nodes to get from one spot/concept to another related one. Essentially you'd be building an "online brain!" (And thus would presumably end up with a bunch of extremely short (easy to plan & produce) videos which which could also be quickly "absorbed" by the "student" in a logical order.)
                              If course material was built around this structure (and not the other way around) there would be a "built-in road map" to not only follow, but to use as a reference too!

IMHO, the problem is not really the existing availability of content. It's the way in which it is organized. It needs structure. (And to do it "right", much of it has to be re-done.) Most of the stuff that Selwyn has created could be directly embedded into to a/this hierarchical tree list. But there's a lot of filling in. (The course material in the long video courses, most of which I have watched) would have to be included. (Some of which would need to be "re-done.") ~ Although much of this existing material could be edited into small "chunks" and thus be preserved.

A reference like this is the kind of reference that should be readily available to subscription holders and/or available to anyone else. But for others, a premium for access to this caliber of material could easily be justified! (and probably should be)

PS: The existing in-depth online training courses are great by the way! You just have to commit a ton of time, and be willing to deal with a lot of redundancy amongst these courses to "absorb the material."
                              I've reentered this discussion because I'm in need of help myself. Learning Alpha along with maybe HTML, CSS, MySQL, server management etc can be a daunting task, whatever the degree of starting knowledge or experience. I have found already the strong support offered by keen Alpha developers (in particular, Steve Wood) on and off the forum. The problem is, when they offer advice they have no way of knowing one's level of experience or understanding of the subject (or related) matter. They tend unconciously to assume their own level of expertise which is not always easily assimilated.

I spend a lot of time with Steve Workings excellent tutorial videos, have now created my own 'index' of material for referral. Prior to doing this it was a real 'pain' trying to locate specific items of interest. Perhaps it would be a good idea to separate and group these according to main topic eg "first things", grids, security, etc - this may also take care of some of the redundancy issues. They can then be incorporated into the appropriate 'tree' position. This would apply not only to Steve's course, and of course, subject to his approval and with his able assistance.

Why not someone willing to act as 'coordinator' to start a thread whereby a hierarchical tree list gets built? Then anyone who's interested can contribute to the growth of the tree. Maybe it can be our 2013 'green' project!!

There could be benefits to everyone arising from this. I know I would find it of immense interest to see the tree develop and I know it would provide an immediate first point of reference when I strike a problem or need further clarification. I really hope my thoughts here strike a chord with others in a similar position - if so, why not tell everyone and just maybe it will happen!!

Ron S

Comment

if someone wants to draft this tree structure I have new software that can hang video or documents at the end of each node. Keep it simple.
                                Steve Wood
                                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                                X