Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Script causing browser to run slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Script causing browser to run slowly

Thanks for putting this together Carol.... your description in the video saying "it's like something is building up" matches up to some results I collected last night. My problem grid is used by administrators and none of them work Sunday evenings, so I took that as an opportunity to play around. I applied "e.tmpl.timer = .t." to the grid and tried it in IE8, IE9, Chrome and Mozilla. The information being displayed from the timer option grew with each subsequent use of the grid and on the 3rd use of a record in the grid I get the error. The milliseconds in the Expand grid template jumped way up and the number of things being reported from the timer option increased as well.

here's a PDF of the results from my timer testing on production WAS. The results reported with each use increase which ties to Carols something is building up comment

v11 script running slow error.pdf

I don't know how to interpret a lot of this, but maybe a few other examples like this from different systems might be of help to the Alpha folks.

Comment

David, in looking at your pdf, it appears that the 3rd action did a save or update, but the first 2 didn't. Did you do something different on that 3rd try?

I am in communication with Alpha and, after saying it is not an Alpha bug, they asked why I had an ajax callback when clicking that pencil icon, which then called a button to open the grid. There's a reason for that, which I told them (checking some stuff first). But, anyway, I unhid the button that opens the grid without first doing an ajax callback, and clicked it 5 times, and still received on the slow script error. So what they were suggesting was not the issue.
      Carol King
      Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
      http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

Nope - I repeated the same actions in the same record on each attempt.

1) open grid
        2) select record (detail view)
        3) change 1 field
        4) close detail view

I repeated these steps 3 times on the same record and got the error on the 3rd try. I did this little exercise many times because the timing info being reported varied so much. I also played around with closing the browser, clearing cache, and even re-published the grid a couple of times in-between test passes

I also tried using the timer option in the onDetailViewRender event but that didn't do any reporting at the detail view level which would have been nice to have since that's where there is the most transactional activity in most of my grids

Comment

Yeah Carol I was in talks with alpha five all there suggestions they gave me didn't fix the problem. I don't have a database I would be allowed to send them so I am at a in-pass with how far I can go with my bug report. Seems weird to me that alpha five can't seems to get this issue while all of us are getting it.

My main concern is this is a three month old topic, this problem seems like it is never going to be fixed

Comment

AHA!!! The culprits are the DATE PICKERS! In my test case, I had 7 date fields with date pickers, and when I uncheck the date pickers, the script errors went away. I sat and clicked my icon 40 times and did not get the script error.

I just sat and started systematically removing features.

1 - On original - always a script error on 5th click of button to open grid

2 - Removed Action buttons - always a script error on 7th click of button to open grid

3 - Removed Date Pickers from 7 date fields - NO SCRIPT ERRORS

4 - Went back to original, kept the Action buttons, removed the 7 date pickers - NO SCRIPT ERRORS
            Carol King

Comment

I'll go do the same change and follow-up with the results

Comment

I'll be holding my breath until I hear your results, David.
                Carol King

Comment

Originally posted by kingcarol View Post
                  I'm about to send Alpha a test case along with this video: http://screencast.com/t/Z9EktDQHHlQ7
                  hello carol ,
                  i didnt read the whole thread but , is it ok if you try my littile advice just to narrow the problem ,
                  download google chrom and try the same page and let me know the result ,

Ahmed Sh
                  To live anywhere in the world today and be against equality because of race or color is like living in Alaska and being against snow.�

- William Faulkner

Comment

Ahmed
                    Looks like an issue specific to using IE 8 and Alpha v11. All other versions in any combination seem to be okay from everything I have tested and read from other folks messages

Comment

Originally posted by ids-dave View Post
                      Ahmed
                      Looks like an issue specific to using IE 8 and Alpha v11. All other versions in any combination seem to be okay from everything I have tested and read from other folks messages
                      IE 8 and not 9 you mean ?
                      cus i am assuming that if we update internet explorer with latest patchs and update things will be fine ..
                      can you try to update your internet explorer http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/i...r/downloads/ie

also try this please
                      open internet explorer
                      go to tools >> option >> Advanced tab , try to reset setting

that might solve the issue ,
                      what kind of windows she have ?
                      To live anywhere in the world today and be against equality because of race or color is like living in Alaska and being against snow.�

- William Faulkner

Comment

well I'll be a monkeye's uncle ....

My problem grid has 9 date fields all with date pickers turned on. Per Carol's discovery I turned them all off and I do not get any errors. Also, the detail view opens up very very very fast

That begs the question how many date pickers can you use safely with the v11 and IE8 combination and I found the answer to be 1 date picker per grid. Here's how I came to that conclusion based on my grid in my production environment

#pickers____#uses w/o error
                        ___ 9 ________ 2
                        ___ 8 ________ 4
                        ___ 7 ________ 4
                        ___ 6 ________ 5
                        ___ 5 ________ 7
                        ___ 4 ________ 8
                        ___ 3 ________ 10
                        ___ 2 ________ 14
                        ___ 1 ________ no slow script errors

I think Carol is right on the mark about the date picker being the root cause. How and why it only does this in IE8 is way beyond me

Many thanks to Carol ! For now, my customers aren't getting the slow script error and will have to type the dates until a fix is provided
                        Last edited by ids-dave; 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Ahmed, This issue does not occur in Chrome or in Firefox. And from all reports, not in IE 9. I won't be upgrading to IE 9 to test because I want to know what my customers with IE 8 might encounter, and don't want to jinx things by updating and possibly not being able to go back to IE 8. I actually want to see the issues.

YAYYYYY, David, I am glad the Date Picker fix was the same for you. I'll be doing the same as you... for now, my customers will have to type in the date. It's too risky for them to get a slow script error, making them think my app is buggy, AND especially because the script error defaults to the Yes button to stop running scripts...

I reported my findings about the Date Picker to Alpha at same time as above post. Have not yet heard back from them.
                          Carol King

Comment

more information to share....

1) the savvy Alpha developers provide an option in the grid -> properties -> miscellaneous -> use legacy date picker
                            I don't get the slow script error with this turned on

2) I set up 2 test grids on a test site and added security so it can be shared with whomever needs/wants to look at this first hand. To access this test
                            go to www.starhrtest.com
                            login id = [email protected]
                            password = testdate
                            click the "Support" button
                            from there, you can open 2 grids. One has 9 date fields and uses the new date picker. It normally will produce the slow script error after you open and close the detail view 5 times. The second grid is the same as the first, but has the legacy date picker option turned on. I have open/closed the detail 30 times with no errors.

Carol, please feel free to share this with the Alpha folks if you think it will help

a few particulars about using the test
                            a.) these 2 grids were created in v11
                            b.) security limits you to just the 2 special grids described above
                            c.) the login id provided can only access the one record
                            d.) this is test data, so feel free to change any of the dates if you feel inclined
                            e.) please do not change the password when you log in... others may want to try this test
                            f.) I threw in the timer option for good measure in case it would help Alpha
                            g.) No guarantees about how long I'll keep this test active

Dave

Comment

David, I did your test case. I'm going to go put the legacy date picker in my grids. Also, Alpha has found the issue and says there is a fix in the next update:
                              Message I received:
                              After considerable digging, we did find a problem with the date pickers in IE 8. There is no problem with the date pickers themselves, but if there were date pickers on a detail view and the view was opened repeatedly, the code would reload the date picker object on every request. Other browsers had no problem with that but IE 8 caused the objects to build up and cause an already slow JavaScript engine to eventually stop responding. Such issues may be one reason the JavaScript engine in IE 9 (and IE 8 64 bit) was rewritten by Microsoft

The revised code which will be the next build now checks if the object exists and doesn't reload it. Apparently other browsers do that automatically
                              Carol King

Comment

we have found and fixed an issue with date pickers in the Detail View that might explain why IE8 is slow.

the javascript to initialize the data picker objects was being emitted on every callback.
                                in a modern browser with a good Javascript engine (like Firefox, Chrome or even IE9), this did not represent a problem.

but apparently in Ie8, it does.

the change we have made for the next update is to check if the date picker objects have already been initialized, and if so, then not bother about re-initializing them after a callback completed.

Comment

Working...
                                X