Alpha Video Training

Thread: Record(s) not viewable in browse. Corrupted somehow?

Real Name
    Kraftees Colelgeotwn

Default Record(s) not viewable in browse. Corrupted somehow?

Hello,

I have some records that all of a sudden are not viewable in Browses.

The browse is based off of a set with a Parent Table, 8 One to one child tables and, 1 one to many child tables. (I had a child link that was the same as the parent link, with a one to many connection but I deleted it because I thought possibly it was causing the problem).

So basically these records used to show up in this browse normally, but now when I search for them it auto fills in the correct information but will not display the record in the browse. If you go to to the default browse of the table the records are still there.

Does anyone know what might be causing this so I can fix it? I tried building a whole new browse off the set and still received the same error. Basically whole record lines and all of their information just are not appearing in the browse.

If a build a browse off off of the parent table only these records appear in this, but off the set is where they are not appearing.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Chris

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Record(s) not viewable in browse. Corrupted somehow?

If a child record does not display in a browse on a form built on a set it is because the linking values are not the same in the parent and child records. You need to carefully examine the linking field value in the child table record to see how it differs from the linking field value in the parent record to which you think it should match.

Real Name
    Kraftees Colelgeotwn

The record that is not showing is from the parent table, so there is nothing linking them. In the browse I went through and removed and fields that are not in the parent table and they still do not appear. If I search for the same record in the Default Set Form the records appear, only in the browse do they not appear.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

It's beginning to sound like you have a filter or query in place that is limiting the display of records. Do the "missing" records fail to meet your record selection criteria?

Real Name
    Kraftees Colelgeotwn

No filter or query are in place right now. I have had this issue in the past, and the only resolve was to re-create the entire record with all of it's data and then it would reappear again.

The weird part is when I do a search it actually starts auto-filling the record that is missing, but once I press enter it will not appear.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Ok, then this may result from confusion about what a "record" is in Alpha Five. If you are thinking that each row in your set based browse is a single record you're mistaken. It's more complicated than that. Alpha stores records in tables, not in sets. If you have a set based browse and you begin a new row, but only fill in fields that belong to the child tables of the set, you will confuse Alpha. To do set based data entry you must always and forever populate the parent record first, before beginning data entry into any of the child tables.

And, for what it's worth, I never do data entry into set based browses.

-- tom

Real Name
    Robin

If this is an embedded browse in a form, check the form filter and see if Alpha created a filter there.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Kraftees Colelgeotwn

No, it is just a basic browse view. I spoke with Tom Cone on the phone and we could not find a solution. If I find out exactly what is causing the error and/or how to fix it I will post.

Thanks

Real Name
    Kraftees Colelgeotwn

Still trying to decipher exactly why this is happening, but I duplicated the entire table and all indexes, records, layouts, operations and then copied the same browse where error's were occuring to the test duplicate.

After doing that the records that were in question (not appearing in a browse) are now appearing in a browse... now I am more stumped than before.

My solution for the time being is going to be use the new duplicated table that actually works.

Real Name
    Kraftees Colelgeotwn

I do have a question. Is there a problem with doing this, because I feel like this is when the problem started.

I created a link to a child table within the set, and the child table was actually the Parent Table as well.

I linked them with a one to many link based off a character field. I did this because I need to display a one.many link in an email and it was the only way I could figure out how to pull in multiple records.

Is this in bad practice to do this?

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

Is it possible to post an example with anonymised data?
    1:M using the Parent might cause you some grief, possibly an unresolvable loop. 1:1 should be OK.
    Have you got V11 trial installed?
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.

Real Name
    Nick Oldfield

1:M where the child table is actually the parent table sounds to me like a recipe for disaster.....Why would you need to do that anyway? Can't you get the relevant records via a query? I suspect you don't really even need a set....

Real Name
    Rod Porter

Have you explored index issues? I Have had this problem occasionally and have found it to be a corrupted index in most cases. Take a look here for an explanation.

http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Databa...rupted%20index

Real Name
    Kraftees Colelgeotwn

I am pretty sure that creating a child link of the parent table within the set is what caused this disaster. I am going to post a new thread to see if there is a smarter way to send the email I want to send without doing that. Thanks for your replies, sorry for the delay I am just getting back to this issue.