Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

e-mail client on server and local host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e-mail client on server and local host

Anyone any idea's on this one:-

Setting up e-mail client on local host and server

Just changed our mail server to a new domain name, prior to this our website e-mail client worked fine.
    Have changed all the required settings on both local host for testing and the server to the new address and done a test on both and they work fine sending a conformation report to the mail server, but when called upon from a webpage, nothing is being sent though the email_send2() function.

I have over the years been through this procedure a hundred times but never en-counted this problem, has anyone else had it happen to them?

Toby

Re: e-mail client on server and local host

Toby

Do you have the desktop and server versions on the same machines?

The email settings are stored in different registry entries for each version of Alpha..

Is the profile name set properly on the component event code?
    Last edited by Al Buchholz; 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Hi Alan

Thanks for such a quick reply

No the webapp project is on a seperate machine to the server and as I said both do the test routine correctly.
      I am not sure what you mean by setting the profile name on the webpage?

Toby

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Locke View Post
        Hi Alan

Thanks for such a quick reply

No the webapp project is on a seperate machine to the server and as I said both do the test routine correctly.
        I am not sure what you mean by setting the profile name on the webpage?

Toby
        Oops mistyped - corrected it...
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Alan

Thought that we may have been on to something then when you mentioned the profile, but it makes no difference, the code used is as supplied in the email_send() function help files and the profile is set as Default, this setup has worked well on the site for years so I can not see it being that.
          Have tried creating a new profile thinking that something has not been over written with the new settings but that has not worked either. Any idea in which file this info is stored in? deleting it may help.

Toby

Comment

A follow up on this one - Has anyone any idea's whether there is a table involved with the profile setup for the email client on the app server as it seems to me that it is the data held which is causing me all this agro.
            If I revert back to the old email profile everything works fine within the webapp, but by changing it to a new profile, although the test shows that all is fine and an email is sent to confirm the fact, when run on the website everything fails.
            I have tried everything that I can think of and at the end of the day it still seems to point to a problem existing in the setup data held within the email client.
            For something that is so simple, it is certainly giving me some grief.

Comment

Show us your actual email_send code. Also, in case you have two email profiles at this point, the one that is SELECTED when you close the email config is the default email profile, not necessarily the one named Default.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thank you Steve for coming back
                There is only one profile named <Default>. I edited the required details, which makes me think that this was a mistake on my part, I should have created a new profile, anyway the code is as follows
                .................code...................
                dim pm as P
                pm.to = e._currentrowdatanew.send_to
                pm.from = alltrim(from)
                pm.bcc = ""
                pm.subject = e._currentrowdatanew.subject
                pm.message = e._currentrowdatanew.body
                email_send2(pm)

Toby

Comment

Unless you can guarantee all of your pointer variables have legitimate values, you need to test basic functionality by replacing your variables with literal values. And you should test that the email account works with something very basic in an ?email_send("your_email_address","test","test"). On V10 you will have to test that in an A5W page published to the server. In V11 you can right-click on the green server icon and open the Interactive Window, and run the code. In either case, if it returns a "1" then the email account worked.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Yes Steve I have done all the things that you have suggested but to no avail, I have even created 2 profiles one for each account, my old setup works fine but the new one is not recognised when called in the program, or by any other means come to that, when I switch between them, but if I put a pm.bcc in the code using the original account, the copy is sent. Do you think that it may be anything to do with the defined length of any of the strings in the email client i.e.; pop - smtp - email - password, as the max length of any field in my original profile is 21 but is 30 in the new one, just a thought!
                    If I was not getting a positive response when a test is done from the client on both accounts I could understand the problem, but this is so frustrating which is why I asked if it is possible to clear the table in the email client which holds the accounts data, so that I now that I am starting with a clear file.
                    I do not know whether to get on to Alpha as it is not really a bug (or is it!!) to see if they have any idea's, any thoughts on that?
                    Thanks again for your help Steve
                    Toby

Comment

Another thought - would there be a problem having special characters in the password string i.e: ?* etc..? before I go changing anything on the mail server - Answered this myself - changed password with no special characters and it is exactly the same - back to the drawing board

Toby
                      Last edited by Toby Locke; 12-15-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Toby, if you want, send me all of the parameters for your email account in a private msg. Send both the working and the failing one.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

I got your account to work, try these email settings:

Account tab: outgoing smtp = your smtp address, Email Address = your user, everything else on that page, including password are unimportant, use bogus values
                          Sending tab: "Log on using the settings below", and use your user and password.
                          Advanced tab: set the smtp port to 587
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Sounds like an ISP firewall blacklist combo issue...

This link can help figure out some of these things.. but probably not all of them...

http://www.mxtoolbox.com
                            Al Buchholz
                            Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Alan for that but everything seems to add up - what I just can not get my head around is
                              1. why do I get a positive result from the email client with the acknowlement report sent to the mailbox
                              2. I can send an email to the mailbox using an external email software
                              3. but the email_send2() function just crashes out even if just used on a bog standard A5W page and hard coded, although it works perfectly well on my old settings if I swith back to them.

I have even set up a completely new mail box on a different domain and it still refuses to cooperate. I will not be beaten by this, but any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Toby (turning grayer by the minute)

Comment

Working...
                              X