Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Application Vanishes Under Windows7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application Vanishes Under Windows7

We are still using V5 but are in the process of upgrading computers with new ones which use Windows7. We will be upgrading to V10.5 in the very near future. But last week and then again today, our main application was found missing altogether! With over 200 users, we had to rush to restore the system from backup.

Basically, we have one small but essential application which everyone goes through first. Then there are many other applications which this "menu" of applications can call. None of the called applications have run into this problem (so far). I am well aware of the PDF driver problems associated with using V5 on Windows7. But what in the world can make an application totally disappear??? Might Alpha 5 be interfacing with the OS in some capacity so that it works fine with XP but not with Windows7?

We have no clue as to the cause ... nor how to best investigate the matter (e.g. audit trails). Any ideas on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Re: Application Vanishes Under Windows7

Steve,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "... our main application was found missing altogether!" Missing from where, for example? (Deleted from the server? missing from a workstation? )

In the process describe how the applications are installed, and compare the file locations on Win7 workstations with the file locations on XP workstations. When and how was the error discovered? Are the Win 7 machines running virtual XP mode? Or using the XP Compatability option? If not, why not?

Yes, I think it entirely possible that an A5v5 app may behave differently under Win 7.
    Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 12-13-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Hi Tom,

It was missing (or corrupted) from our server. Upon attempting to load the main app, the code library would be completely blank ... and the startup form would not even attempt to load. Most users run on shadow in runtime. While the setup has worked for weeks, only on these two occasions have we found the main app virtually missing. None of the other applications which are called have run into this problem.

We were originally intending to upgrade to V10.5 before installing the new machines with Windows7. Some problems with getting the various applications upgraded and tested has delayed our version upgrade. Since this is but a temporary setup, we are not using the XP Compatibility option. We have over 230 users.

I'll get more info on our setup later. Thanks for the quick reply.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

I'd forgotten how large and "complex" your application was. May not be able to offer much assistance. Have very little experience working with code libraries, and zero experience working with databases that open other databases.

Having said that, I'd look first for clues on the server side. What was going on there on the two occasions the main app was trashed? Any chance Alpha might have been running some process which was interrupted by other processes running on the server?

-- tom

Comment

Steve,

Are any of your users using wireless connections? I ask because very infrequently I have had a networked application trashed by someone who lost connection. I think the issue has to do with what they do when reconnecting. Upon reconnection they are presented with the options about keeping local files, network files, etc. I don't remember the wording.

If they have your database open and choose to keep local files and overwrite the network versions, say bye bye to the database definition (at least the .alm containing your code).

Digging further, it may be they have Offline Files selected including your database and when they reconnect their version is overwriting the network version, by choice. Not just reconnecting to the network after a dropped connection.
          Last edited by Stan Mathews; 12-14-2011, 11:58 AM.
          There can be only one.

Comment

Tom,

You DO have experience with "code libraries" ... I was just referring to the scripts and UDF's in the Code section of the Control Panel. When trying to get back into this main app, nothing was there - not even the autoexec script.

Stan,

No, we do not use wireless. But as old as our network wiring is, I sometimes wish we did consider going wireless. But that's an expense not currently on the table.

In the end, I suppose that we will just manage to keep backups handy to make it easier to restore in the event that it disappears again. We may can go that route until we upgrade to V10.5 and hope that the problem is gone at that point. Thanks for your input.

Steve

Comment

We ran into a similar problem years ago. One user would be running a script or UDF at the same time another user was compacting the database. When this happened we lost access to all of our scripts. To resolve this we had to restore the ALM and ALX files from backup. I turned on Windows file audit in order to track down user and time of day this was happening. To resolve this we stopped compacting databases.

Here is a link to the thread I started when I ran into this problem.
              http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ht=alx+deleted
              Last edited by aschone; 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM. Reason: Added thread link
              Andrew

Comment

Andy,

Thank you, but we were not compacting at the time. We only compact during overnight processing when nobody is on the system.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Andrews View Post
                  I was just referring to the scripts and UDF's in the Code section of the Control Panel. When trying to get back into this main app, nothing was there - not even the autoexec script.
                  I am assuming that the ALM and/or ALX files are missing. Hence you having to restore from backup. This would explain why the code tab is empty. However you do not state what files it is you are restoring when you have encountered the problem. Clarification on what is "exactly" happening will go along ways to resolving the issue. A detail step by step of what files you are having to restore to fix the issue would be beneficial. Along with any additional steps you having to take to fix the issue beyond the file restore.

Alpha5 File Types
                  http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...File_Types.htm

ALM - Stores all scripts, user defined functions, menus, toolbars, bitmaps, and import definitions used by more than one table.
                  ALX - Alpha Five uses the .ALX file to find a specific script, function, operation, setting, etc. that is stored in the data dictionary.

For the time being I recommend you turn on windows file auditing for the folders containing the files being deleted. The next time the issue occurs check your audit logs for the users who where accessing the logs. Then follow up with the users to determine what was taking place during that time. This will go a long way to resolving the issue.
                  Andrew

Comment

When we fixed the problem, we restored the ALB, ALX, and ALM files. Whether all three were necessary (or just, say, two of them) I'm not sure. If it happens again, I may try replacing one file at a time to see if that tells us anythhing else about the problem.

Just restoring these files seems to do the job.

Comment

When you restored the 3 files where all 3 present in folder or where some missing?

Was there a file size change when comparing the restored files to what was there prior to the restore?

I would assume that the modify date was different between the restore files compared to the prior version, but it is an item to note the next go around.
                      Andrew

Comment

Andrew,
                        Steve and I work together. What is happening is that the Dictionary files for the database are getting corrupted. They are still on the server, however the .alm file goes from 1000K to 6K in size, and as Steve said, all of our code is gone. The problem is that the library is used in ALL of our other databases as many of the functions are common and used everywhere. We are not sure exactly what is happening. Is it windows 7 talking to an NT 4 server? is it some user inadvertently clicking on the shortcut to the ver 10 application, but for some reason, not getting his drives mapped properly? DON"T KNOW. As Steve said, we're now keeping a "hot backup" of the database available and can be back up and running in minutes.
                        Tom

Comment

Tom,

Just wondering and hoping someone else will chime in. Can the .alm file be set to read only without interfering with a live application? Just did some testing with AlphaSports and with it set to read only the application still seems to operate normally.

You can't create new anything new or edit anything on the code tab. To be expected.
                          All layouts are table or set based so they aren't affected.
                          Operations other than imports seem to be editable. (Imports likely stored in the .alm)
                          There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks, Stan,

Its worth a look, but I have an eerie feeling that someone is attempting to open the database using ver 10 instead if ver 5. We've modified the password on the shortcut for ver 10 so someone who knew the password can't get in again, we'll see what happens...

Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X