Alpha Video Training

Thread: Error expanding Grid Part template: Function: 'convert_number' was not recognized

Real Name
    Jose Velez

Default Error expanding Grid Part template: Function: 'convert_number' was not recognized

Hi everyone,

I am getting this error when I publish my tabbed ui to my webroot and view the page. It works fine in working preview.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jose
    Version 11

grid_error.jpg

Real Name
    Steve Workings

Default Re: Error expanding Grid Part template: Function: 'convert_number' was not recognized

Alpha doesn't have a built-in function of convert_number(). Did you create and attempt to use your own here?

If so, you might show us the related code.

And, if so, did you create an .AEX file and place it in your webroot?
    -Steve

Real Name
    Garth McConnochie

Default Re: Error expanding Grid Part template: Function: 'convert_number' was not recognized

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure that's correct I'm also getting this on some grids. I just build a new 64 bit server with appserver 2291-3841 on it
    I've just searched through the a5wcmp file in my webroot and found reference to convert_number

{Grid.RowSeparator}
    </tbody>
    CŸ data.VISIBLE_FROM = tbl.data("VISIBLE_FROM") data.VISIBLE_TO = tbl.data("VISIBLE_TO") data.MSG_ID = tbl.data("MSG_ID") data.PRD_CODE = tbl.data("PRD_CODE") CĂș [['{js_escape(""+time("{grid.clientSideDateFormat}",tbl.data("VISIBLE_FROM")))}','#'],'{js_escape(""+time("{grid.clientSideDateFormat}",tbl.data("VISIBLE_TO")))}','{js_escape(convert_number(tbl.data("MSG_ID")))}','{js_escape(tbl.data("PRD_CODE"))}']
    C2 ['VISIBLE_FROM','VISIBLE_TO','MSG_ID','PRD_CODE'] C‚ ['{tbl.dataIsNull("VISIBLE_FROM")}','{tbl.dataIsNull("VISIBLE_TO")}','{tbl.dataIsNull("MSG_ID")}','{tbl.dataIsNull("PRD_CODE")}']
    C( [{name: 'VISIBLE_FROM' , hlp: '', type: 'link,label', dataType: 't',
    qbe: {operator: '', exclude: false, andOr: 'AND'} },{name: 'VISIBLE_TO'
    , hlp: '', displayFormat: 'plain', type: 'label,label', dataType: 't',
    qbe: {operator: '', exclude: false, andOr: 'AND'} },{name: 'MSG_ID' ,
    hlp: '', displayFormat: 'plain', type: 'label,label', dataType: 'n',
    qbe: {operator: '', exclude: false, andOr: 'AND'} },{name: 'PRD_CODE' ,
    hlp: '', displayFormat: 'plain', type: 'label,label', dataType: 'c',
    qbe: {operator: '', exclude: false, andOr: 'AND'} }] C

Real Name
    Jose Velez

Hi Steve,

No, I'm too new to create my own.

All I did was create some grid components, a tabbed UI and put the grid components into the TUI and then published. I am using mysql so, would I need a .AEX file? What is that? I thought that was just for .dbf files.

Thanks!

Jose

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Likely you need to make sure the Alpha versions on both local and remote server are the same. Update both to the latest Alpha patch.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Jose Velez

Steve,

I am only running one instance of A5W server, which is build 2291-3841. The developer is Version 11, Build 2323-3850. Is this correct? Are the server and developer supposed to have corresponding build #'s?

Thanks!

Jose

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Developer and App Server must always be the exact same release number. They are always issued together.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Actually, your server has the latest official patch. Your developer has PRE-RELEASE patch that you should not be using for production. So if you are testing out the pre-release they should be the same on server and developer and you should be reporting your troubles to bug reports, not here. If you are not wanting to be testing pre-release patch, then patch your developer copy BACK to the same copy as you have on the server.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Jose Velez

I got with zebra host, I am hosting with them, and they made sure that I am using the correct builds (2291-3841). I re-published my files and restarted the server and I am still getting the same error.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this error? Has anyone seen it before?

Real Name
    Steve Wood

You didn't read my post or I was unclear. Your server is fine, your local developer copy is pre-release. Both server and developer need to be the same version, you have different versions on server and developer machine, and the developer machine is pre-release version.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Jose Velez

Steve,

I am only using one machine right now - the server. My copy of developer is installed on the hosted server and I am using it via remote desktop.

Real Name
    Clive Swanepoel

Hi Steve:

I checked both the developer and the web app server (both are on the server) Both indicate the latest build when I check for updates.
    Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
    Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Real Name
    Jose Velez

Here is a screen shot of what my developer version is. Perhaps it has to do something with the new web starter version??? Anyone have any clues?... I still have not heard anything from the Alpha folks... it would be nice to get their help on this.

Developer Version.jpg

Real Name
    Steve Wood

My first post is accurate -- you have mis-matched versions of App Server and Developer. They are different; ignore what it says when you click to see if you have the latest version. You need to resolve this mismatch before you continue. I am repeating myself but you have pre-release version 2323-3850 for Developer and the latest official patch 2291-3841 on the server. Pre-release is for those who want to test out PRE-RELEASE non-official patches.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Jose Velez

I just bought this last week, why did Alpha Software sell me, and give me a download link for, a pre-release version that does not match the app server?

When I tried to install the developer patch from the patch download site (http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A...chDownload.ASP) - choosing 'Alpha Five Update' I get more problems. For example, I was not able to use connection strings. I kept getting sql api not installed errors.

So I went back to the download link that I got from my order email and downloaded and re-installed the developer, which seems to be a pre-release.

I'm going around in circles and I cannot get anyone at Alpha to help me out. At this point I'l probably just ask for a refund.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Go to the help menu and select download patches. The latest official release is there. Make sure you close all instances of alpha prior to applying the patch.
    Bill Griffin
    Parkell, Inc

Real Name
    Jose Velez

Bill,

I have tried that several times. When I do I end up having more problems. For example, I cannot use connection strings. I get an error telling me that the SQL API is not installed. When I uninstall developer and reinstall it the connection strings works fine.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

I am on the road and it took some time to get back to this. One thing we can assure you is once whatever is going on is set straight, and afterwards you keep developer and server in sync, things will work out.

I downloaded the pre-release and see that the download is 2327-3852. The current official version is still 2291_3841 as noted above, that's for sure. Your's is a version in between the pre-release I downloaded and the official version, which just means you were provided a link to what was still pre-release, just a few weeks earlier than my download.

I noted when I installed the downoaded pre-release that it included some new (not seen before) install for an sql server utility. I also note that your screenshot of the About screen has the product named Alpha Five V11 WebApp Developer Starter Edition. The "Developer" version has always just been called the "Developer" and so I don't know what a "WebApp Starter Edition" is or where it came from (anyone else?).

Since anything past 2291_3841 is pre-release, I believe your only viable option is to contact Alpha's Sales department. You need a full download of the current Developer version, 2291_3841 to match your current Web App Server.

Once you have the current Developer, my advice is to make note of your license number, back up your project files, completely uninstall A5 Developer and reinstall version 2291_3841. Then go to your project folder and delete any files that end in .manifest or .compiled. (Alpha will recreate them fresh when you publish), then attempt to open your project, review, publish, test, etc.

I think you will still find problems that you noted above. If so, open each grid, make some simple change, and resave the grid, and republish, test. This should render the grid back to the current version.

If you have problems with that approach, then next best advice is to NOT open your existing project but instead re-build it from scratch in the current version (it appears to be reasonably small). The reason is that your existing project was built in a pre-release version and is using functions that only exist in that pre-release version, which is where we started and why Steve Workings said that function did not exist.

I think you just got caught in the middle somehow, not your fault.

EDIT: I should add that one of your options is to download the latest pre-release version and make sure Developer and Server have that latest version. You should not do this with any project that is in or near production, but it would be OK to use if you were in the building stages and did not expect to go live for at least a month. You should expect problems if you go this route just because it is pre-release software.
    Last edited by Steve Wood; 12-30-2011 at 02:54 AM.
    Steve Wood

"Certified" Alphaholic Clipper87's Avatar
    Real Name
    Frank

Steve,

The Alpha Five V11 WebApp Developer Starter Edition is an edition Alpha recently started to market:

The Alpha Five v11 Web Starter Edition
    Just $199 - includes everything you need to build and deploy great web applications

This new package includes the Alpha Five v11 Web Developer (without the ability to build desktop applications) and a 3-concurrent user web application server license. It's everything you need to build and deploy Alpha Five Internet and intranet applications - at a very attractive price.
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Real Name
    Jose Velez

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to update you on the resolution. The issue was a build mismatch, as Steve correctly pointed out. After reconciling both developer and app server with the same builds I am able to view my grids!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Jose

Real Name
    Jose Velez

Steve,

The Alpha folks were able to get me squared away with the pre-release issue. I'm good to go!

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Jose, Good that it worked out and this forum helped in the process.

re: WebApp Starter Edition - didn't see that promo until today's Alpha newsletter. I remember back when they had multiple editions and it made it more confusing for us on the forum trying to figure out who had what. And I admit I wish they would make a SQL-only version that eliminated the options for DBF, which are mostly the default option and therefore requiring some extra motion to get to the SQL option.
    Last edited by Al Buchholz; 12-30-2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Steve Wood