Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Prepare the app for use in network enviroment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prepare the app for use in network enviroment...

Hi. Can anybody explain how can I start building my forms so they're ready for multiusing inside a network?
    Well, I have a form (attached picture) and all my forms are the same like thisone.
    alpha1.jpg
    The enduser has to press the button "new" for entering a new record into table. My plan is to have a new record entered into table and RecordID, then to update the same record as the user enters other data. On that way I would exclude the possibility of mixing records in the table from more users at the same moment. I hope I explained it right. Please advise, thanks.
    www.zeljkobobic.com

Re: Prepare the app for use in network enviroment...

You don't do anything to the forms to make them "network ready". You do need an auto increment field in your table to assign unique id numbers.

See this thread for other ideas if you don't like Alpha's built in auto increment.
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 12-28-2011, 04:16 PM.
    There can be only one.

Comment

I have read the thread from your link and it's valuable for sure.
      I was thinking more like this:
      PC1 user is clicking the button new.....he's seeing a form to enter a new record and on it a new RecordID is for example 10.
      PC2 user is doing the same, but he's also having a new RecordID as 10, because PC1 user haven't saved the record, so program doesn't increasing the RecordID.
      The right solution would be to write a new record into table immediatelly with RecordID information, so if other users are trying to enter a new record, they will always get bigger RecordID.
      Am I right?
      www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

Just to mention that I'm not entering data directly into table, but via variable fields and saving them with a function "Save" attached to button event....
        www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

i am not sure what you are thinking of doing so i am going to give an example see if that's what in your mind.
          you have the application in a networked environment and there are 10 people accessing the same form to enter new record.
          they will all see the same record number since it is an auto-increment number. your concern, is it safe or i have to do something else to prevent disaster.
          this was answered by one of the senior member/moderator.
          1> you don't really have to see the auto increment field. it is for the db program to keep track of things. you can refernce to the record many other ways.
          2> when you actually save the record numbers(the auto- increment field) are assigned as first come first served. so there won't be any disaster. so try it and see the record numbers.
          if my presumptions are wrong forgive me.

thanks for reading.
          gandhi
          thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
          mysql backend
          http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
          [email protected]
          1 914 924 5171

Comment

i just found that thread
            the answer is by Al Buchholz in the same forum few pages back.
            thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
            mysql backend
            [email protected]
            1 914 924 5171

Comment

But, I'm not talking about conflict in RecordID (auto increment), but let's say if users are trying to enter a new number of invoice, and the last was 10, so how you control that 2 users don't try to save invoice with number 11???
              You understand now?
              www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

how you control that 2 users don't try to save invoice with number 11
                Two users can't save the same auto-increment invoice number. That's what auto-increment means. The second save will be with the "next" invoice number, regardless of what they see on screen.
                There can be only one.

Comment

But I cannot make an invoice number as auto-increment because I want to give my users ability to change the number as they want, in fact it is only defined as 'unique'....
                  www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

<quote>PC1 user is clicking the button new.....he's seeing a form to enter a new record and on it a new RecordID is for example 10.
                    PC2 user is doing the same, but he's also having a new RecordID as 10, because PC1 user haven't saved the record, so program doesn't increasing the RecordID.<endquote>
                    this, in my opinion, refers to auto-increment value. this does not happen when you save the record. each individual will get different RecordID. if you want the invoice number to be unique,
                    i think, there will be many options.
                    1> manually assign
                    2> programmatically create a random number for that value
                    probably many other better ways than i have cited.
                    in either case that value should be given to the db engine not let it generate. when the db engine generates it appears to be a duplicate value till saved.
                    unique value- the db engine checks for uniqueness only when you save not before and then reports that value must be unique. it does not know till you present the data to it.

hope my reasoning is correct,

thanks for reading.

gandhi
                    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                    mysql backend
                    [email protected]
                    1 914 924 5171

Comment

I want to give my users ability to change the number as they want
                      That is like asking for trouble.
                      There can be only one.

Comment

Can't you just create another field as the primary auto-increment id field, then when your user tries to save with an existing number they get an error and a chance to change it.

The real primary key is hidden and taken care of behind the scenes.

Comment

Unique means that it is different than all the others. Giving the end user the opportunity to change a number to their choosing opens the door very wide for duplication of numbers.
                          Mike W

Comment

Mike is right, but this is the logic that I'm using:
                            When a user wants to enter a new invoice, a form offers a last invoice number increased for 1 (LastInvoiceNum+1).
                            So, a user maybe deleted an invoice a day ago and wants to have that number filled in the records...this is exactly my reason why I'm having this option open to them.
                            However, I checked a little bit this forum about network, client-server and similar key-words, and I didn't find the answer what I asked at post #1.
                            Please help.
                            www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

"So, a user maybe deleted an invoice a day ago and wants to have that number filled in the records..."
                              Been this route, recipie for litigation. An invoice number once saved is part of the audit trail. Deleted Invoices are an abuse of a system. You could always apply the Invoice Number when the record is complete rather than when the record is created. That will work in a networked environment.
                              Hell, I'd be a millionaire if I could fiddle invoices like that!
                              Zeljko, don't get involved in enterprises which could deprive you of your liberty.
                              See our Hybrid Option here;
                              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X