Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Excel export not working in live preview/localhost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel export not working in live preview/localhost

This is strange. I enabled the Excel export icon in two grids. They both work as advertised in Working Preview, but not in live preview or localhost.

What am I missing?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Re: Excel export not working in live preview/localhost

Peter, I have enabled the Excel export on a bunch of my grids and it is has been working fine (mostly) in Live Preview and Local Host. But I have not updated Alpha since November 10th update. What build are you on? Also, does it make a difference if you include .xls as an allowed file name in Project Properties? http://screencast.com/t/sv47HSd5rtH I've had those allowed file names set for so long, I can't remember if I had to put the .xls there or not to make it work.

I did have an issue on one grid in mid November with the file name that Alpha was creating for the Excel file being too long for allowed filenames, and it produced an error. After doing a bug report on Nov 14, Selwyn sent this message to me: "i added code to generate a shorter export filename for the next update" . I've actually not tested that yet because I haven't updated since Nov 10.
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your thoughts. I do have ".xls" in project properties, but I don't think that is relevant in any case. I tried a v10 grid which has the Excel export in v11 and that works! So there is something about the grids themselves. More testing and maybe a bug report.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter, I'm about to update and am curious what build you are using and whether by updating I might break my Excel exports because of some bug.
        Carol King

Comment

Originally posted by kingcarol View Post
          Peter, I'm about to update and am curious what build you are using and whether by updating I might break my Excel exports because of some bug.
          I'm on the Dec 6 build. I have to do a test. I'll report back here.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

It's all over the map. There is definitely some kind of bug. I'll report it.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

I just updated to the Pre Release for today (well, it says Jan 7th there, but...) and have tested a lot of my Excel export buttons and all seems fine.
              http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A...easenotes.html

EDIT: oh, they changed it from Jan 7 to Jan 6, so they noticed boo boo. :)
              Carol King

Comment

Nope. That didn't help. There is a deeper problem it would seem. I can get the Excel to work in certain dbs, but not others, so it's definitely something. Thanks
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter - might it be different kinds of fields between the ones that are working and the ones that aren't??

When you say "certain db's" do they differ by server location? By table structure? or ?? Obviously there's _something_ different between "workie" and "no workie", right?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Blackwell View Post
                    Peter - might it be different kinds of fields between the ones that are working and the ones that aren't??

When you say "certain db's" do they differ by server location? By table structure? or ?? Obviously there's _something_ different between "workie" and "no workie", right?
                    Jeff & Carol,

Jerry Brightbill solved the problem:

Peter

You have set a list of Allowed folders for file download. Since the excel files are downloaded and they are created in the user's session folder, if that folder is not in the allowed folders, the file is blocked. If you check the session folder, the file is being created.

If you set the allowed folders to just <UserSessionFolder> or left it blank, the Excel works correctly

If there are any folders listed, then they are the ONLY folders you can download from. If the list is blank, then you can download from ANY folder.

Currently, if the list is just <UserSessionFolder>, then you can download just from the session folder, which is needed for the Excel, but not from any other folder

Strictly speaking this isn't a bug, but the behavior is pretty limiting. I am looking at allowing a list of folders and allow <UserSessionFolder> in the list so you can specify folders and still allow the session folder.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

If any folders are specified in the "File Download->Allowed folders" in the project properties, downloads are only allowed from those folders. The user's session folder must be allowed when using the Excel export as the Excel file is created in the users session folder and then downloaded from that folder. If the "Allowed folders" is left blank, downloads can be made from any folder.

Previously, you could specify <UserSessionFolder> or a list of folders, but not both.

A change has been made to allow <UserSessionFolder> to be included as a folder in the list in addition to other folders. This will allow you to limit downloads to specific folders and still include the session folder. Now if you want to only allow downloads from any folder named 'images' or 'pdf' and the users session folder, you can enter
                      Code:
                      *\images,*\pdf,<UserSessionFolder>
                      The change will be in the next release candidate build.

Comment

Working...
                      X