Alpha Video Training

Thread: How to generate a Report in Word Document Format to PDF?

Real Name
    Suvarchala

Question How to generate a Report in Word Document Format to PDF?

Hi,

I want to CREATE REPORT in Word Document Format.
    The things which I need in Report are:
    1. I need to retrieve the user id from database tables.
    2. The information which have been checked in the check box, that checked data description should
    retrieve from database table and automatically generate in report.
    3. If the user want to change anything can able to change in Word Document Report and Should be stored.
    4. So that when an user click on VIEW REPORT, this report should appear as PDF FORMAT,
    where this PDF format Report should be able to DOWNLOAD, SEND E-MAIL and PRINT.

The Issues:
    =========
    1. I have generated a report in PDF format, where I can able to take print only,
    I also want it to DOWNLOAD and SEND AN E-MAIL ....
    2. I am able to generate the report it in Word Document and I am able to Edit it,
    But I am unable to Save it to PDF.
    Here the Word Document Report, is been downloaded and edited and converted it to PDF,
    but unable to save it in database, so that the user can view in VIEW REPORTS link.

So, If anyone understand my requirement, Please do help me out.

Thanks & Regards,
    Suvarchala.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

Default Re: How to generate a Report in Word Document Format to PDF?

I replied in line with your comments/questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Suvarchala View Post
    Hi,

I want to CREATE REPORT in Word Document Format. - Have you seen something in Alpha literature to do this (I know about creating an .rtf file, but not a .doc)?
    The things which I need in Report are:
    1. I need to retrieve the user id from database tables. - You should be able to do this using whatever session variable is set for the user at login.
    2. The information which have been checked in the check box, that checked data description should
    retrieve from database table and automatically generate in report. - I don't completely understand what you want here, but you can get data into reports.
    3. If the user want to change anything can able to change in Word Document Report and Should be stored. - This is not really possible, because the saved file exists on the server, not on the user's machine. You would have to allow the user to download the file to her/his computer, make changes, and then upload it to replace the file on the server. If you want something more interactive, you might be better off building a Grid Detail View that allows users to change information without having to download and re-upload, and allow them to create a .pdf of it when desired.
    4. So that when an user click on VIEW REPORT, this report should appear as PDF FORMAT,
    where this PDF format Report should be able to DOWNLOAD, SEND E-MAIL and PRINT. - Most .pdf viewers (Adobe Reader, Foxit, etc) have built-in tools for downloading (i.e. save), printing, and sending the file as an attachment. But this assumes the .pdf viewer tool bars are set up correctly on the user's computer, which you can't control.

The Issues:
    =========
    1. I have generated a report in PDF format, where I can able to take print only,
    I also want it to DOWNLOAD and SEND AN E-MAIL .... - If you're doing this with Action Javascript, the file of the report is being created in a (temporary) session folder on the server. You can control it more (file location, filters, etc) if you create the report using an .a5w page and the Report.Saveas() function. The same page could end with a redirect to the report URL or a hyperlink or the report URL. Or you could have an Action Javascript button open the .a5w page, maybe in a div on the page, and then have other Action Javascript buttons that use the Action Javascript File Download function and/or an Action Javascript button with an ajax callback with code that emails the user and includes the file as an attachment.
    2. I am able to generate the report it in Word Document and I am able to Edit it,
    But I am unable to Save it to PDF.
    Here the Word Document Report, is been downloaded and edited and converted it to PDF,
    but unable to save it in database, so that the user can view in VIEW REPORTS link. - I don't understand what you're trying to do here.
    Hope I've helped at least a little...

Real Name
    Satyanarayana Lella

Default Re: How to generate a Report in Word Document Format to PDF?

Hi Chris Tappan,

Thank you for reply . I will go through it .

Thanks & Regards,
    Satyanarayana