Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Gouping multiple part numbers into a new but single part number.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gouping multiple part numbers into a new but single part number.

I work for a commercial door company and we've developed a inventory control system using Alpha 10.

A door jamb is made up of three components, each with it's own factory part number. The three part numbers are specified on my Purchase Order to the manufacturer and when I receive the components from the factory the completed Purchase Order puts each component into my inventory. Currently, when a sales rep writes a work order or sales ticket they must specify each of the three components, per frame, to remove the components from inventory. This is time consuming for the sales rep and confusing to our customers. I want our sales reps to be able to use one part number and have all three components subtracted from inventory.

Example
    1 ea - 3070 WGS Frame = 1 ea 70 hinge leg jamb + 1 ea 70 strike leg jamb + 1 ea 30 head jamb

How do I program Alpha 10 so that when the sales rep orders 1 ea - 3070 WGS Frame on their work/sales order, Alpha 10 knows to remove both leg jambs and a header from inventory?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Randy.............................

Re: Gouping multiple part numbers into a new but single part number.

Curious: what are you using for your back-end?

Regardless: I would create a table structure that allows you to link the two together.

So, you would have a master table called "Assembiles" and a detail table called "Components". Your assembly from the example would be 3070 WGS Frame, and the components would be the three different leg jams. That would setup the data you need to do the job.

If you are using a SQL back-end, you could use a trigger or a stored procedure to handle the inventory. Otherwise, you can create an alpha5 function to do the heavy lifting.

Does that help?

Comment

I see what your saying Larry. Currently all inventory items are in an Alpha 5 flat file where each jamb component is a record. Is there a script that can be written to do the same thing without having "assemblies" and "components" tables, in other words, use just the inventory table? The reason I'm asking is because my inventory table also contains all my doors and hardware items.

Randy..................

Comment

You still need a way to link the items together.

So, instead, create an inventory link table for your details. The inventory link table would have three fields:

Assembly_ID, Component_ID, Qty (Key value would be Assembly ID and component ID)

This table would have 1 record for each component (The qty would tell you how many of each component.) Both ID's would be inventory IDs.

In Alpha, the componentID would be a lookup to the inventory table.

Comment

Randy,
          I want our sales reps to be able to use one part number and have all three components subtracted from inventory.
          Example
          1 ea - 3070 WGS Frame = 1 ea 70 hinge leg jamb + 1 ea 70 strike leg jamb + 1 ea 30 head jamb

How do I program Alpha 10 so that when the sales rep orders 1 ea - 3070 WGS Frame on their work/sales order, Alpha 10 knows to remove both leg jambs and a header from inventory?
          Right now, the users are doing this. The question is - "how do your salesmen know which ones to choose? Larry is correct that some how these have to be linked, or as you are saying, grouped. This can be done in the one table. It would require an added field that holds the information of the three items. This could be a concatenation of the part numbers of the three items into a group number, and when the single parent item is selected, the group number is parsed into the 3 separate numbers and the system handles it in a single selection.

But you have to get the groupings developed somehow as a template for the system to draw upon. You could have the system build this on the fly as you are working through the work. If there is a grouping number present, have the system use it to complete it in one action, and if not, have it build it so the next time it will be available.
          Mike W

Comment

You could remove each component from its table using a script that opens and remove/decrement the inventory.
            1-Hard to provide a sample script since you didn't say where does the rep enter the order
            2-Not sure why 3 tables for 3 items that are structurally similar. One table should do.
            3-Just to give you a head start, you could open the tables via xbasic and delete or decrement these itesm, as in:
            t1=table.open("..table1..)
            ..locate the record..
            ..delete it or decrement the inventory..
            t1.close()
            repeat for the other tables.
            I suppose you might have a question re: parsing the order..
            If you provide more context, I or many others should be able to provide you with a sample script.

Comment

How about this then.
              Component ID = 3070 WGS Frame
              Construct = Item 1+qty, Item 2+qty, Item 3+qty. (You may have multiple items - say you want to include fixings and door furniture in some cases - so it's your choice whether to use a Set or a single Table.
              Use Post attached to a button or triggered on placing an order which will decrement the inventory. The benefit of using Post is that the inventory can be updated on record delete.
              See our Hybrid Option here;
              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
              X