Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Action Scripting A "Steeping Stone" - Really? Then why......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Action Scripting A "Steeping Stone" - Really? Then why......

I just don't get it... A5 training courses frequently support/promote the usage of action scripting as a "stepping stone" to hard coding X-basic. This makes sense.....

However: These three (3) limitations within the a5 GUI significantly (IMHO) interfere with the progress of learning:

1.) SEARCHING FOR THE CORRECT ACTION SCRIPT
    When trying to pick the correct action script (once you realize you have the wrong one in the list) why isn't there a "back button" so you don't loose your place looking???

2.) CUSTOMIZING X-BASIC ATTACHED TO A FORM OBJECT EVENT (Form object events originally created & converted from Action Scripting into X-basic.)

When converting an action script into Xbasic, I first duplicate it. (convert one to X-basic, and the disable the other one)
    The problem/limitation occurs when editing the converted X-Basic. (Sttached to a form's object event, ie: a button) Because the editor is modal, access is not granted to the drag and drop X-basic Explorer for proper code formatting. (which also includes the Function Explorer) ~This makes learning coding frustrating, tedious, and prone to syntax errors......

3.) RESTORE PRIOR VERSION FUNCTION LIMITATION (I suppose this is minor by comparison, but WHY NOT?)
    This feature is not available on Operations, and more importantly, the Code tab. ~ Just sayin'

A while back, I made an inquiry as to the first two. I was told they were not important. Maybe not for advanced / professionals, but nevertheless - everyone begins somewhere, right.....

I can't tell you how many times (during the steep learning curve) that I became frustrated due to the above limitations.
    Presently, I still use some button event coding with action scripting as a basis before converting to X-basic. (as many others, I am sure do too) Even with experience, this still presents itself to be detriment to productivity! For what it's worth, even the a5 instructors get twisted up sometimes (on syntax) when they generate code by hand without referencing the the X-basic Explorer.....

Does anyone else agree???
    Last edited by SNusa; 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM.
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Re: Action Scripting A "Steeping Stone" - Really? Then why......

I haven't used AS much other than to peek at the code created for queries. But when I do for an object event, it is very easy to create a new XB script in the code editor to copy and paste the xbasic for editing and then paste it into an inline AS, comment out the other AS lines, save the AS script and not save the Untitled script. And when you get your snippets of XB code as you like them - save them to the Code Library!
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Interesting discussion.
      I use AS most of the time to avoid coding. Using AS usually gets it right first time.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
        Interesting discussion.
        I use AS most of the time to avoid coding. Using AS usually gets it right first time.
        Late last winter, I finally (after years) "took the plunge" and subscribed to a5. Fully committed, I invested "crazy time" watching, re-watching, taking notes and learning a5 from the ground up using the a5 training courses videos....

Years prior, I had uncovered a handful of significant issues (bugs) which were addressed and corrected. I just never had the time to pull it all together...... (other primary business obligations always interfered)

During much of my learning process, frustrations (which almost caused me to give up a5 forever) was: 1.) Not knowing if my problems were bug related, and 2.) Not being able to easily find what I needed to get a5 to do exactly what I wanted to.

In my particular situation, I'v been purchasing a5 softwarae since v4 DOS. Needless to say, I spent spent a significant amount of $$ throughout the years hoping that the next version would get better and easier to use. It definitely got better, but easier - that's highly subjective one's interpretation.

As advanced, capable (and complicated) as a5 is, it seems to me it would behoove Alpha Software to make a5 as easy as possible for "entry level users" (newbies) to "sink their teeth into." To some degree, they (a5) have not done this. What they have done (instead) is create a plethora of tools in one nice package which provides the accomplished virtually unlimited capabilities.

It's important to note that: While their strategy may be great for the professional, it's bad for new users! Adding to this problem, is the reality of no longer having a help file. (I detest using the WIKI! ~ IMHO, it's way too hard to retrieve precisely what you're looking for in the web based help.)

Anyways, during my own "trials and tribulations" (last winter) I presented several criticisms/suggestions/ideas to Sewlyn. (the basis of my original post) To make a long story short, he did not see the significance of any of this, and indicated that the suggestions were of little importance. From his perspective, that makes complete sense. Obviously, Selwyn is at the forefront of development, and didn't (doesn't/can't) see the implications from a "new users perspective."

In our email "discussions", Selwyn also indicated that: Adding a "back" button to the action script selection box would also require a lot of work/re-coding. (Under the circumstances, his response both surprised and concerned me a little bit! My initial thoughts were, and still are: "What, did you guys loose the original code for that part of the a5 program? It hasn't changed in a decade!") ~ STRANGE!

This kind of "thinking" on these matters certainly doesn't pull new users "into the platform." ~ Instead, it pushes them away. I nearly gave up, and I'm glad I didn't. Even so, it took a lot of work just to get here. And it would have been easier (and "lessened" the steep learning curve) with a few minor changes ("fixes" as I call them) to the program. And even today, these are still features I "am wishing for."

Actually, on a related note: The whole "renewable subscription plan concept" can kind of be seen as a temporary fix (IMHO) to growing a renewable & young user base...... If I was a5, I'd want both subscriptions and a ton of new users.

PS: Don't get me wrong regarding this post. I like a5. (Enough so that I've been buying it for years.) But I am certain that many others in my shoes would have just given up completely, or tried something "easier."
        Last edited by SNusa; 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM.
        It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
        RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

In submitting my previous post, I just had an epiphany......

How about adding one option to the right click menu in a5 (when user right clicks on a Action script) to do the following:

This option would (in one step) "Convert Action Script to Code on Code Tab" and call script via Script_Play_Local().....
          (after prompting for user to provide a name for the script) ~ That's one workaround to problem #2......

Then, all the code in need of editing would get full support of the a5 development tools with just a few clicks!
          Last edited by SNusa; 01-19-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Also just saying...
            1.) SEARCHING FOR THE CORRECT ACTION SCRIPT
            The frustration is probably more from trying just not succeeding. When I try these I now note the AS name and just type the first letter to get (close) back to it in the list of options.

2.) CUSTOMIZING X-BASIC ATTACHED TO A FORM OBJECT EVENT (Form object events originally created & converted from Action Scripting into X-basic.)
            That is a drag, but the best advice given on this site is not to use script attached to forms but the form calling scripts or functions saved as code. I still code the event on buttons during development but calling independant code (when I do) does make the process a whizz. (Note to myself - again). Also later access to code you previously created becomes MUCH easier

When converting an action script into Xbasic, I first duplicate it. (convert one to X-basic, and the disable the other one)
            The problem/limitation occurs when editing the converted X-Basic. (Attached to a form's object event, ie: a button)
            There is an option to use the code editor and there it stays after.

3.) RESTORE PRIOR VERSION FUNCTION LIMITATION (I suppose this is minor by comparison, but WHY NOT?)
            This feature is not available on Operations, and more importantly, the Code tab. ~ Just sayin'
            Code editor has one of the best roll-backs I've seen, especially with V10

Comment

Whenever I see good examples posted here in the forum, I create a sub directory in my test directory for the database so I can have my own 'library' to search thru. I seldom use the Wiki either for the same reason - not being able to find what I am looking for with a clear enough example, but I still use my v9 help file. Someone ought to come up with a way to annotate that file, then I could add my own notes to it. Anybody...?
              Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

I went through the angst barrier when changing from V4 to Alpha for Windows.
                The agony of trying to go from DOS to Windows was horrible
                Much more relaxed now, and still using the tools supplied as far as possible without using code. After all Alpha is still sold as a no programming application.
                Where I can't find a function to do what I need as opposed to what I want - I'll try and code with Forum assistance.
                See our Hybrid Option here;
                https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray in Capetown View Post
                  Also just saying...

The frustration is probably more from trying just not succeeding. When I try these I now note the AS name and just type the first letter to get (close) back to it in the list of options.

That is a drag, but the best advice given on this site is not to use script attached to forms but the form calling scripts or functions saved as code. I still code the event on buttons during development but calling independant code (when I do) does make the process a whizz. (Note to myself - again). Also later access to code you previously created becomes MUCH easier

There is an option to use the code editor and there it stays after.

Code editor has one of the best roll-backs I've seen, especially with V10
                  I've got the action scripting pretty much all figured out. The frustration is largely the result of "coming to terms with the fact that:" It's almost easier to code much of the stuff in X-basic directly without wasting time looking for it first. (Looking through the Action Script scripts, I sometimes feel like a "hamster (or gerbil) spinning on a wheel!") ~ It shouldn't have to be like this!

Aside from your "note to myself - again" comment, which indicates you are also inclined to "attach scripts" directly to form events.... (which reaffirms my position on that subject).......

Your last two responses need clarification:
                  (So please correct me if I'm wrong.)

The option to use the code editor (after converting AS to X-basic) prohibits you from gaining access to tools like the X-basic explorer due to "modal" implementation of the editor for converted action scripts. To get around this, you must copy the code, save it as an external script in the code tab, and call it using the method script_play_local().

As for the Code editor roll-back feature.... I must be missing something here. When I edit a X-basic based script (on the code tab) and the save it...... It's final. If I haven't backed it up, and I mess up the code, there is no getting back/reverting to the old code..... (Where's the rollback feature here? I might be missing something.)
                  Last edited by SNusa; 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

The option to use the code editor (after converting AS to X-basic) prohibits you from gaining access to tools like the X-basic explorer due to "modal" implementation of the editor for converted action scripts. To get around this, you must copy the code, save it as an external script in the code tab, and call it using the method script_play_local().
                    This hasn't been my experience.

For example, when working with the onChange event for an object in a form layout, if the script is initially written using AS, then you can convert the script to xbasic whenever you want using the Code Menu choice. Once converted the Code Editor will open the script conventionally and you can get to the Xbasic Explorer using the Task List Menu choice.

In fact, the Xbasic Explorer is available even when editing an AS directly. Use the Task List menu option.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                      This hasn't been my experience.

For example, when working with the onChange event for an object in a form layout, if the script is initially written using AS, then you can convert the script to xbasic whenever you want using the Code Menu choice. Once converted the Code Editor will open the script conventionally and you can get to the Xbasic Explorer using the Task List Menu choice.

In fact, the Xbasic Explorer is available even when editing an AS directly. Use the Task List menu option.
                      Hi Tom!

Try this: Right click on a form button and create an on push action event using action scripting. Then convert the AS (attached directly to a form object event) into X-basic. Finally, right click on the "inline X-basic" and select edit.

The X-basic opens in a small modal window. Within that window, there is a button enabling me to "zoom to re-sizable window" to edit the code in a larger window. When doing so, this larger window is still modal, and you can't use any of the tools outside this window. I don't think it should be like this..... Please confirm.

Note: Once converted, the only way to access this X-basic is via the action scripting window.....
                      Last edited by SNusa; 01-19-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Robert

Sounds like you are editing xbasic in the inline xbasic Action Scripting. It can be limiting.

You can copy/save to it's own xbasic script where the editor is different and all of the tools are available.

Your ultimate destination is to build a function that accepts arguments and returns a result.
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD
                        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
                          Robert

Sounds like you are editing xbasic in the inline xbasic Action Scripting. It can be limiting.

You can copy/save to it's own xbasic script where the editor is different and all of the tools are available.

Your ultimate destination is to build a function that accepts arguments and returns a result.
                          I know this. I am editing inline, and I couldn't agree more.
                          But I have a valid reasoning behind my methods ~ It helps me learn by example, and absorb concepts at a higher pace.*

However, when learning and trying new things (by example especially) like is recommended in all the a5 courses, I still sometimes find myself attaching action scripts to form events as my starting point. (and I don't want to waste a lot of time setting all this up to "try new things.") Not having this ability just adds to the learning curve / difficulty. (It does for me anyways!)

*Note: Full access to editing tools from within converted action scripting is also helpful when trying to debug someone elses "program." Last year (as a test of my understanding) I solved a problem where action scripting was the culprit, where it ultimately was using a .value (which wasn't working for reasons un-known by all). After a ton of trial and error, (because I couldn't drag & drop code from the X-basic explorer)... "On a hunch, I tried replacing the .value reference with .text in the action script (after converting to X-basic) and voila..... Problem solved.... (Starcs)
                          Last edited by SNusa; 01-19-2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Robert, I agree with Al. If I follow the steps you describe I see that you haven't left the Action Scripting editor. Instead if you're working with an "action" that consists of "inline" xbasic. Convert the whole script to xbasic from the Code menu, instead. There's no reason whatsoever to save your script to the code page to get to the Xbasic Explorer. You just have to convert the "script" to xbasic.... not the "action".

Comment

As for the Code editor roll-back feature.... I must be missing something here. When I edit a X-basic based script (on the code tab) and the save it...... It's final. If I haven't backed it up, and I mess up the code, there is no getting back/reverting to the old code..... (Where's the rollback feature here? I might be missing something.)
                              I stand corrected on this. I keep my original on the button event, if necessary with an END in front of it. (when i have saved it as code.) thats the rollback version.
                              As was pointed out in a previousl post - if a form is lost, so are the form based scripts. I dont have first hand experience of this - thankfully.

Comment

Working...
                              X