Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Candidate next update is now available VS Alpha Five Version 11 Updates = conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Candidate next update is now available VS Alpha Five Version 11 Updates = conund

One thing I think needs mentioning here which may not be seen by many advanced users is:

Many of the issues/bugs that appear within the a5 software code itself effect the user that uses the GUI to do much of the heavy lifting.
    If you're doing much of the work via hard coding and scripting, you tend to not run into these issues. (not using the GUI to learn by example) What I'm getting at here is the more advanced you are, the less likely you are to be "stymied" by an unknown bug...

Case in point: Last winter, as I finally took the plunge to learn a5 "from the inside out" I continuously ran into frustrations that were presumably "transparent non-issues" by all the advanced users at that time. (Either that, or nobody bothered to report in with bugs.) This took place into May of 2011 for version 10x. The more I do with with hand coded scripting (and the less I rely on the gui & wizards), the less noticeable these problems became. Nevertheless, I had uncovered a bunch of things (that were quickly addressed & fixed) that the "pro's" obviously never encountered. (Because I was working "from the ground up.") ~ Some of these issues (I am quite certain) have been around for years!

During this period, I already had many of the fundamentals "under my belt." With much frustration, it eventually became apparent that a5 internal code was simply not doing what it was supposed to be doing. Had I had access to a BBS where issues were being reported by others, I might have saved much time & frustration. ~I can't help but wonder how many others go through this same experience which leads them to eventually just give up!

On a pertinent note: Having watched ALL the training courses & videos numerous times, (while trying things and taking notes)... I even resolved a problem both of the instructors had encountered and never resolved during their recorded training courses. Through my trials and tribulations I solved it, reported it to Alpha, and even attempted to contact the instructors for their future benefit. (Steve Workings & James Talbott.) ~ Needless to say, I never heard back from either of them. (The bug had something to do with the way a5 resolves/ classifies (enumerates) embedded browse objects because of a scrollbar object in the X-basic explorer as I recall. They couldn't find the objects.) ~ I still have the email somewhere.....

Here's a situation where even the instructors were "stymied", and it had taken someone "at my level" to uncover the underlying problem. (Obviously, I've come a long way in a short time since then with a5.) Regardless, I have a very lengthy background in working with technology, programming, and computers. But it's not presently my primary income. It's more of a hobby for me right now. I'm hoping it may turn into more, but I have a lot of other seasonal obligations.)

The ideal resolution to all this would be to have Alpha modify their bug reporting service by sending users to a BBS where they could pre-classify & report issues via a drilldown menu symbolic of exactly where in the program they are experiencing the problem. (Along with details explaining exactly what is occurring. ~ A pseudo roadmap representing the actual gui itself where the issue is occurring.)

~Seems to me this approach would benefit both users, and Alpha. (It effectively eliminates Selwyn's bug report inbox.) Of course, the only negative would be that it exposes all the problems. But that's not really a problem, (IMHO) because Alpha does tend to address bugs very quickly with updates & fixes.....
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Re: Candidate next update is now available VS Alpha Five Version 11 Updates = conund

I agree with most people on this thread and particularly with those made by Steve Wood. Whilst Alpha is not perfect they do a great job in responding to concerns. Do developers always provide a 100% bug free solution to their customers? I believe there is no value in developers starting up an issues and tracking database - this is best left to those who can do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trucky View Post
        I agree with most people on this thread and particularly with those made by Steve Wood. Whilst Alpha is not perfect they do a great job in responding to concerns. Do developers always provide a 100% bug free solution to their customers? I believe there is no value in developers starting up an issues and tracking database - this is best left to those who can do something about it.
        True, so wouldn't it ultimately be beneficial for Alpha to integrate their own bug tracking database themselves and expose it to their users? How could they (anyone for that matter) not benefit, especially given their outstanding track record of quick fixes?

Exposing the problems in this manner 1.) substantiate/quantify the issues, 2.) minimize user frustrations, and 3.) could provide Alpha with a more efficient resolution process.... (Selwyn could be asking the questions proactively, instead of answering /reacting to them.)
        Last edited by SNusa; 01-22-2012, 07:19 PM.
        It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
        RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Robert, Sounds like a good solution if Alpha could provide access to their bug database and provide some indication of when bugs are likely to be fixed. Maintaining this database to a level suitable for users could require more work from Alpha but the less bugs they have the easier it will be. Users could provide feedback to help Alpha prioritise their bug resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Trucky View Post
            Robert, Sounds like a good solution if Alpha could provide access to their bug database and provide some indication of when bugs are likely to be fixed. Maintaining this database to a level suitable for users could require more work from Alpha but the less bugs they have the easier it will be. Users could provide feedback to help Alpha prioritise their bug resolutions.
            EXACTLY! (But I also think it would reduce work on Alpha's end because the bug reports would not be coming in individually, as email. (Each of which presently requires either clarification with and/or individual responses to the bug reporter.)

To tell you the truth, I'd be extatic with just a basic service exposing (SHARING) the following:

A searchable bug database (including searching by program/menu location) "lookup" with a few simple fields (mostly check boxes) updated by Alpha.... "bug verified y/n", "fix scheduled y/n", "versions affected", "resolution date" (empty until fixed) "fixed in version", and "suggestions/workarounds memo field.

That way, users having problems wouldn't necessarily be wasting time looking for what others may have already reported/uncovered. (and we would all have access to insight as to implement existing/temporary "workarounds") ~ Everyone save time!

I for one seriously nearly (very nearly) "threw in the towel" with a5 in v9, due to problems I encountered on many occasions as a result of not having access to this kind of information. (this went on for years) Every year when I purchased new versions, I kept hearing how clean the new version was. ~ I found all sorts of stuff every time. I was nearly at the point of thinking Alpha 5 represented "a great concept, but poor quality." In fact, I still have the 2005 vintage MS Dev. Studio disks on my desk. (Fortunately they are collecting dust, as I never gave up on Alpha.)

"In past years, I literally spent more time firsthand learning (and debugging via trial and error) that a5 had unknown bugs, than I actually did learning a5." ~ I'm so glad I'm finally past that point now.... I do like the Alpha5 product line, and as a whole have very little negative to say about Alpha5 as a company! But a little more communication (dissemination of information) and an up-to-date offline .chm help file would be nice!

The perfect Alpha world:
            ONLINE = Forum & Bug-Tracking database
            OFFLINE = Help file. (that downloads updates)
            WIKI = Functions & Reference manuals (also online)
            HARDCOPY = Premium Study Material

The only thing better than this (IMHO) would be: "Jacking into the Matrix."
            PS: Presently, I find more relevant information using google search than using the Wiki help!
            Last edited by SNusa; 01-22-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I agree with that - and well put. You need to be able to note your reference at your desk and away from it.
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
              Albert Einstein, (attributed)
              US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                What I also find unusual (and frustrating) with the process why new feature packs etc. are being worked on when things like the dialog2 can't use the mapping and images, image uploads/downloads and more don't function in the core product.
                Peter, what you are talking about is not a bug, but a lack of desired functionality. The dialog is built to be an easily extensible component on which a developer can build the functionality that they are looking for. If we were to add the functionality you want directly to the dialog component, that would be new functionality, not fixing something that is already there but broken (a.k.a., a bug).

Deciding which new features to add and in what priority is a very complex proposition. There are many many thousands of users (millions?), there are thousands of potential new features, and there are a handful of Alpha employees working to add features while fixing any bugs. That means not everything that everyone desires will always be added, and if it is added, it may be a significant amount of time before we can get to it. Prioritizing these items could be a full-time job itself, and it would still leave some users dissatisfied because their one pet feature is not at the top of the list.

We appreciate everyone's suggestions for new features and consider each and every one. We just can't guarantee that we will take the desired action in the desired time frame.

For your specific cases mentioned, you could either use a grid or write a bit of Xbasic in the dialog's events in order to do exactly what you need. You are not dead in the water, and you are not left hanging because something we said would work doesn't. We just have not gone quite as far in terms of functionality as you would like. I'm sorry that we have not yet done so. We may or may not add that new functionality in the future, based on a wide variety of factors.

Lenny Forziati
                Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

RECALL NOTICE.

The Maker of all human beings (G.O.D) is recalling all units manufactured, regardless of make or year, due to a serious defect in the primary and central component of the heart.

This is due to a malfunction in the original prototype units code named Adam and Eve, resulting in the reproduction of the same defect in all subsequent units.

This defect has been identified as "Subsequential Internal Non-morality," more commonly known as S.I.N., as it is primarily expressed.

Some of the symptoms include:
                  1. Loss of direction
                  2. Foul vocal emissions
                  3. Amnesia of origin
                  4. Lack of peace and joy
                  5. Selfish or violent behaviour
                  6. Depression or confusion
                  7. Fearfulness
                  8. Idolatry
                  9. Rebellion

The Manufacturer, who is neither liable nor at fault for this defect, is providing factory-authorized repair and service free of charge to correct this defect.

The Repair Technician, J.C. has most generously offered to bear the entire burden of the staggering cost of these repairs. There is no additional fee required.

The number to call for repair in all areas is: P-R-A-Y-E-R.

Once connected, please upload your burden of SIN through the REPENTANCE procedure.

Next, download ATONEMENT from the Repair Technician, into the heart component.

No matter how big or small the SIN defect is, it will be replaced with:
                  1. Love
                  2. Joy
                  3. Peace
                  4. Patience
                  5. Kindness
                  6. Goodness
                  7. Faithfulness
                  8. Gentleness
                  9. Self-control

Please see the operating manual, the B.I.B.L.E. (BEST Instructions Before Leaving Earth) for further details on the use of these fixes.

WARNING: Continuing to operate the human being unit without correction voids any manufacturer warranties, exposing the unit to dangers and problems too numerous to list, and will result in the human unit being permanently impounded. For free emergency service, place your hands together and call The Repair Technician.

DANGER: The human being units not responding to this recall action will have to be scrapped in the furnace. The SIN defect will not be permitted to enter Heaven so as to prevent contamination of that facility. Thank you for your attention!

- G.O.D

P.S. Please assist where possible by notifying others of this important recall notice, and you may contact the Father any time by 'Knee mail'!
                  Regards
                  Keith Hubert
                  Alpha Guild Member
                  London.
                  KHDB Management Systems
                  Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

I think what Keith is trying to say is, that Bug are a lot like Religion. Everyone has a different view and ultimately it is up to the manufacturer to decide if something is a bug, and what to do about it, if anything. The only difference here is we actually know who manufactures Alpha Five.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Oh, I thought he was saying that we are all defective Aren't we?

Stephen
                      Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Keith well done!
                        Steve to sing Psalm 95 for Alpha Software is a bit too much

Comment

Lenny..re:
                          We may or may not add that new functionality in the future, based on a wide variety of factors.
                          then take the options out of the component availability list. Also get over it.
                          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                            Lenny..re: then take the options out of the component availability list. Also get over it.
                            Could you be more specific about what options need to be removed from where? If there is something misleading, extraneous, or similar, we'd certainly like to remedy it.

And what would you like me to get over? I have no idea what this comment is supposed to mean.

Lenny Forziati
                            Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                            Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Lenny - view the image in this link and tell me which of the options are available to use with the dialog. Image here - thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
                                RECALL NOTICE.
                                Keith,

How's that gonna help all of us devil worshipers?
                                Peter
                                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                                X