Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to AddEditDelete on a specific table in a set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to AddEditDelete on a specific table in a set?

I'm still struggling on how to add a new record on specific tables in a set.I have attached a bmp of the set.
    the first table is a patient table, the child is OPD table, the child of OPD table are doctors,medication,opd_bill, opd_payments.
    I want to do a data entry on OPD so i will select first a patient name from the patient table, so what will i do so that i can click a button and
    i will be entering a new record on Opd, then later medication, then opd bill then opd_payments? this is all in one form. I tried adding a button on each tab,
    and put an action script to add a new record but the adding of records that is in effect is on the patient table which is the topmost of the set.Please help, Thank you very Much
    Attached Files

Re: How to AddEditDelete on a specific table in a set?

Hi Jetson,

You have shown a screen shot of your Set. You do data entry on a form. What is OPD? Why do you think we would all know what that was?

If there are going to be several entries in a child table then it would be better to have a browse. You button to add a new record could then be set to that browse.
    Last edited by Keith Hubert; 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM. Reason: grammar correction
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Jetson,

1) Sounds like you neglected to tell the action scripting genie which table you wanted to begin the new record within;

2) You should resist the urge to build complex multi-table forms for data entry. See this article to understand why.

Comment

Can someone please share a working database data entry example in alpha five with the set attached as an example? with the overwhelming simplicity of alpha five of action scripting and several suggestions, i'm now confused on what to follow, after reading the article regarding data entry by Tom,I think it is the best approach, but i dont know how to accomplish that in Alpha Five, Tom do you have a working sample on that article? Or maybe with the set attached on this thread, can someone pls. demonstrate the best practices in alpha five on data entry with multi user considerations?

tbl_patient
        Patient_No
        Lname
        Fname
        Etc.

tbl_opd - table
        patient_no- auto generated
        opd_no -auto generated
        date
        diagnosis

tbl_opd_medications - table
        opd_no - autogenerated based on tbl_opd
        medication

tbl_opd_bill - table
        opd_no - autogenerated based on tbl_opd
        service
        amount_service
        Total

tbl_opd_payments- table
        opd_no
        amnt_paid

Comment

A couple of things first, Jetson
          With a few exceptions, everything suggested here is accepted as multi-user compatible - as far as general principles go.
          You need to consider the potential bottlenecks (where contention could occur) in your own scenario. No need to repeatedly state "with multi-user considerations".

Highly jargonised terminology makes it more difficult to find solutions while trying to understand what OPD this or that is - or at least you should explain.

A minor one but can be of use - I personally find it helps if I know where you are from.

So now,,
          I could provide a sample of some code and form of mine that does something as described (write entries to embedded transactions from a form button for example) but it wont be specific to all elements of your scenario where for instance a field may have to be unchanged or unique or whatever - which was not provided for in the sample.
          I have experienced this leading to more and more onerous requests for additional changes to the supplied sample, it being outside of your personal level or approach , or unsuitable.
          And questions follow like How did, why did, explain and then the best one "it doesn't work"

I'm certainly not trying to be harsh, just practical.
          The best suggestion for all is - provide your sample - working or not, explain what you are stuck with, then those on this forum can follow your approach and skill level to give practical advice.
          I'm spending time writing this out of willingness to help.
          Regards
          Ray
          Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 01-23-2012, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Thank you Ray for your willingness to help[ and all members of this forum.I have attached a sample and want to add on the opd_med_bill set, wherein one to many data entry could be demonstrated.I want to enter records on opd table( opd table is actually the table where diagnosis is entered) and add medications, then later add services, and pay the bills, I also want that upon entering a new record on opd (i should have named it as diagnosis) a bill is automatically entered on the opd_bill table, that bill is the consultation fee.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JetLi; 01-23-2012, 08:45 AM. Reason: Forgot an attachment

Comment

Tom's first point - select the browse to add the record,
              Lets do an exercise on your form, using the "Add" button (or make a copy of that to work on) that will add a new Rx
              If you open this Add button in AS, then Edit "Enter new record"
              It has checked "Parent Level" - in this case records will be added there.
              Instead, select "Embedded Layout". At the moment the only option is "Control Browse1" - select that.
              Save, close, save the form, select view form. Now click this "Add" button.
              and you will be presented with the new record in the "New RX" tab.

I get an error at that point because there is a specified folder for a table - that I dont have access to.
              Apply the same principle wherever you wish to use it.
              Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 01-23-2012, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks much, i already know that ray, in fact Tom answered that and i asked another question, what if i want to add records on individual controls and not on a browse control? then someone suggested xdialog, which then that i don't know, can you pls modify the database so that it can add on three table in the same form?
                Last edited by JetLi; 01-23-2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

i want to add records on individual controls and not on a browse control
                  The only control on a form I know that is linked to a table is a browse.
                  can you pls modify the database so that it can add on three table in the same form
                  I could try make a few guesses at what you might mean, but I did that already with your previous question and got it wrong.

To add on three tables to the same form, do as you did initially to add the table attached to Control Browse 1.
                  I assumed that you knew how to do that because you did it before?
                  I don't need to describe that.
                  And if thats not what you want to do then explain clearly.
                  What you have explained has been answered, I think.
                  Regards, Ray

Comment

Jetson, I share Ray's confusion. What does " add on three table in the same form " mean?

In Alpha Five data entry occurs through forms which are bound to supporting (underlying) tables. Forms are simply the lens through which we can see the data stored in the tables beneath. Data entry occurs one table at a time. Sets do not contain data. Forms do not contain data. Tables contain the data.

Comment

I see,Okey, it's like this, for example, the set has three tables namely Patient , diagnosis and medications, I can add on three tables without a problem but my question is, What if i want to add on the child table diagnosis, can i use Typein field control,combo box etc? i can do that with patient displaying on individual controls like first name on a typein field, last name etc and diagnosis on a browse control and medications on a browse control, no problem with that, Now i want to add on the child table diagnosis by not using browse control instead individual controls e.g diagnosis note could be on a memo edit control, and what command will i use on a button so that when i clicked it i will be adding on the child table diagnosis, i tried but when i click add im adding on the topmost table which is patient. Anyway sound like I cannot explain/express my idea.It's okey if my explanation is not clear, maybe as i learn Alpha i can do that in the future, because as of now I can do data entry without a problem in browse controls.

Comment

Jetson,

A common solution to your question would be to:

- design and save a custom form based on the child table (diagnosis) alone.
                        - put a button on your set based form to "enter new diagnosis"
                        - have that button open the new form (based on the diagnosis table)
                        - the same button can begin a new record in the called form
                        - the same button can pass field values (especially your link field value) to the new record in the called form
                        - when data entry in the called form is over you would probably need to refresh the browse display in the calling (set based) form.

Check the code archive forum in this message board for posts dealing with "Passing values between forms". Those posts are pretty old, and most of the xbasic code you see there can now be done using Action Scripting, but I think they are worth studying.

Comment

Thanks Tom, I'l try , an example database would be very much appreciated if there is. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X