Alpha Video Training

Thread: Can I convert the Word Document Report into PDF Format?

Real Name
    Suvarchala

Question Can I convert the Word Document Report into PDF Format?

Hi,

I want to convert the Word Doument Report into PDF Foramt.

My Requirement is:
    1. In Grid, I have two check box named Mango and Apple and one button named Create Report.
    2. Once I check on Mango and Apple can click on Create Report button, it should retrieve the description of Mango and Apple from reference database and open it in a Word format.
    3. The user will edit or modify or add some description in the Word Document format and once it is saved,
    it should be shown in PDF Format when we click on View Report button.

So, where can I store this word document in database and and while retrieving from the database how should I retrieve it in PDF format?

So, Please Suggest me how can I start it and fulfill my requirement.

Thanks & Regards,
    Suvarchala.

Real Name
    William McGowen

Default Re: Can I convert the Word Document Report into PDF Format?

What exactly is the modification that is being done once it is in Word?

I am wondering because it may be possible to have the changes set up without resorting to opening up a Word document. And if you are opening up a Word document, then I wold think it would move out of Alpha, and into Microsoft Word, which Alpha would not control. (As far as I know.)

If your wanting to add more complex text there is also a text box field you can add in, and you can specify that it be edited in a text editor. Not as powerful as Word obviously, but it might get the job done depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Real Name
    Suvarchala

Hi William McGowen,

The modification that I need to add is to add some description by my own, including with the data from the reference table.

Mainly I need:
    1. On Click Create Report button, Can we get the report in MS Word Document Format either using javascript or Xbasic code?
    2. On Click View Report button, Can we get that MS Word Document Format into PDF Format?

So, Can you suggest me how can I proceed?

Thanks & Regards,
    Suvarchala.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

1. I'm not aware of a way to create a MS Word Document using XBasic; not sure about javascript.

Like my previous response on your other thread, you need to clarify in your mind what's on the server and what's on the user's machine. As soon as a document is called by a user, it downloads a COPY of that file to the user's machine. If you want the user to update the document, the user will have to download it, save it to their computer, make changes and save the changes, then upload the document to the server in a way that overwrites the file on the server.

I'm not aware of a way to convert anything from Word to PDF within Alpha Five, but there are lots of third-party products that will do that. You could either do that on the server after the user uploads the edited document, or you could ask the user to create a PDF before re-uploading--there are lots of free third-party tools to do that, as well as being built into more recent versions of Word and OpenOffice.

I'm with William on this, though-why not just display the data on the screen and have a field in Alpha Five for the user to add the description and use Alpha Five to THEN create a PDF on the server but viewable by the user?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Edraw officeviewer component for developers cost $995,00. <javascript>