Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

ADOBE READER "X" - Version 10.1.2 Problem (* Important Read*)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ADOBE READER "X" - Version 10.1.2 Problem (* Important Read*)

While I understand that you had this problem, I did not. I have just updated my copy of Acrobat Reader X to V10.1.2 and running in IE 9 and also in IE8, I do not have any problem.
    In any event, the issue is not something Alpha has any control over. - Selwyn
    - You may want to re visit this statement. Are you saying because you didn't have the problem, Jerry imagined the solution.. and Rich and his customers (300 application users) also imagined the problem..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

This is not an Alpha bug. It is not specific to the Alpha server or PDFs created from within Alpha. Numerous users of many platforms are experiencing this problem exact problem and it is a hot topic of discussion across the Internet, including on Adobe's own forums.

To prove this out to ourselves, we have tested extensively with our server as well as Apache and IIS. Those tests have been conducted using PDF files created from within Alpha, as well as PDFs created using other tools (Acrobat and Office). In all cases, the servers are sending the exact same response content, and that response has been fully validated. It is only the combination of IE with Acrobat that fails to open it. I cannot say authoritatively if the bug is in IE or Acrobat, but it is absolutely a client-side bug.

The work-around is to turn off gzip on the server (whether the server is Alpha, Apache, IIS or anything else), as gzip seems to be what forces the client-side bug to appear. This work-around has the potential to significantly reduce your application's performance however, particularly on a slow network (e.g. 3G, DSL, etc.), so we are investigating several work-arounds that may potentially bypass the IE/Acrobat bug without such a broad impact. If we find such a work-around that does not introduce any undesired behaviors, we will certainly release it in a patch.

Lenny Forziati
      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

NO it's not Alpha Bug - but it is an Alpha issue and and in this case was causing serious issue for a 300 user site, the issue was pushed aside way to early as a go solve it yourself -
        In any event, the issue is not something Alpha has any control over.
        We are not playing games here - this board needs answers fast - we need prompt solutions from Alpha bug or not. Thanks for the reply Lenny - appreciated.
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

What part of "It is NOT an Alpha Issue" was not clear to you?

Perhaps you meant to put your post on the Adobe board where it belongs?

Just to be absolutely crystal clear since it appears that Lenny's response was not apparently clear to you. This is NOT an Alpha issue. It is a bug in Adobe or IE.

We are going to try to find a way to mitigate the bug in their code by SELECTIVELY turning off gzip, because we care, but we should not have had to do this in the first place.

Furthermore, we have already indicated that you can work around this issue by turning off gzip. And we have explained the performance penalty that this will introduce.

(Which is exactly what all other web site operators who are using PHP, Apache, Ruby, IIS - you name it - are having to do at this moment - until either Microsoft or Adobe - most likely Adobe - fixes the issue.)

Comment

I'll chime in here. I had a major MAJOR problem with Adobe when V11 first came out. I couldn't run V11 at all. Well, it was an Adobe problem. But, Alpha changed their program to adapt. Adobe ducked and dodged. Alpha was transparent and bent over backwards (and I really mean over backwards, I think one guy even broke some ribs....) and then some to resolve it. So, in my book - the jeers go to Adobe, and the cheers go to Alpha Five. Rather than jump on them, I think we should be really happy we get the zippy bug fix response we get. And I use a lot of software, never seen the fast reactions I see here. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

How do I know it was an Adobe problem? Well, my adobe program wouldn't even run it's own controls correctly, and I verified with independent sources that what the A5 folks were telling me was true. Adobe is legendary amongst software houses for putting it's hooks into windows in a way that does not play nice in the sandbox with other.

It does not surprise me one bit to hear about another Adobe program causing trouble. I love Adobe, and I hate them - both! I can't live without my photoshop, tried all the cheaper competitors, but the tools just aren't what I need. And Acrobat still creates the smallest file size for the quality. But, I do want to find Adobe HQ and go there and have a chat with them! (if it were legal, with a baseball bat - ok, a child's hollow plastic one, but still...)
            Wendy Welton
            Architect
            past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

As of the next prerelease patch, the Application Server adds new functionality to work-around a bug in Microsoft Internet Explorer which breaks the display of PDFs. The cause of these PDF display problems is a well-documented race condition in IE, going back to at least IE 4.0.

Up until now, the only work-around has been to globally turn off gzip compression at the server level. However, this has the negative side effect of decreasing overall application performance - particularly on a slower network such as those used by mobile devices.

Now, the Application Server will specifically recognize that a PDF has been requested from an IE client, and not compress the output in only this very specific case. If a PDF is requested from any other browser software, the output will still be gzipped since all other browsers properly handle the compressed PDF response.

The Alpha Application Server bypasses the IE bug that is breaking PDF files for some users without impacting the overall server performance as would be done if gzip were to be globally turned off or even turned off for a single file type (PDF) across all browsers. As a result, the Application Server mitigates a bug in Microsoft's code for Internet Explorer with an absolute minimum of impact for non-buggy client software. This goes well beyond the functionality of other servers which do not target specific browsers with their gzip compression functionality and thereby reduce performance for all clients because of an IE-specific bug.

Lenny Forziati
              Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
              Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Excellent.

Thanks Lenny and other Alpha Five staff members for responding to this "non-Alpha" problem. Even when it is not your problem, you've still managed to assist A5 the developers by incorporating a work-around into the next software update.

As I always say ...............
                "Try getting that kind of customer support from any other company!"

-- Rich
                Sergeant Richard Hartnett
                Hyattsville City Police Department
                Maryland

Comment

What part of "It is NOT an Alpha Issue" was not clear to you? - Just to be absolutely crystal clear since it appears that Lenny's response was not apparently clear to you. This is NOT an Alpha issue. It is a bug in Adobe or IE.
                  - stop being so precious. Let's follow that line.. So the a the Rolls Royce engines failing on a Jumbo at 36,000 feet with 420 people on it is not an issue for the airlines - is that how it works? So the pilot should just ring Rolls Royce customer service for a solution.

Comment

Peter, your bitterness is more than a little tiresome and, in my opinion, unwarranted. Are you grinding axes here because of other quarrels or "offenses" committed by Alpha in other situations? Don't bother to answer. You've made my personal "ignore me" list, so I won't be listening to your gripes any more. -- tom

Comment

Fine Tom. You don't know - what you don't know and that's not your issue - I accept, respect and thank you for your view.

Comment

Working...
                      X