Alpha Video Training

Thread: Help with Javascript

Real Name
    Carly thomson

Default Help with Javascript

Hi,

I am a very early stage learner, and I would like to know if anyone can point me in the right direction to learn more about javascript, particularly in Alpha 5. I need to do something very simple and I am frustrated after hours of searching!

I want to make a basic show/hide expression for a column in a grid to say if "field" value is Y hide column. I am sure this must be very simple but I can't seem to find the right help.

Thank you.

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Default Re: Help with Javascript

Hi Carly,

I'm not sure I have got this quite right. As an example you have two columns one has Y and N values and the other has something else. You want to hide the second column if the first has a value of Y. I can see your frustration, in your grid, you have two rows, in the first column, the field value is N. In the second row, the value in the first field is Y. Now do do you still want to hide the row? If you are only showing one record at a time, then either user the Show/Hide expression or put the field into a container and use the Show/Hide expression on the container.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

"Certified" Alphaholic kingcarol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol King

The Show/Hide Expression genie does not seem to be using standard javascript. There is a link with some syntax rules when you open the Show/Hide Expression genie that will help.

I've found that it's easier to use the Show/Hide Expression property by thinking about what to Show, rather than what to Hide. That's because the Show/Hide expression will show the column if the expression evaluates to true. So it sounds like you want to Show the column if the value is not equal to Y.
    If your field name was BALL_COLOR and you want to show the value if it does not equal Y, expression would be:
    BALL_COLOR <> "Y"
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

MyField <> "Y" and MyField <> "y"

Alpha Five is turning these simple show/hide expressions into full-fledged javascript for you, but generally, as long as you use field names, an = or <> or one of the expressions in the genie, and think that the expression is really more a "Show if this expression is true" rather than a "Show/Hide expression".