Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A5V11 Network Installation Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A5V11 Network Installation Problem

Good Morning All,

I have an account with A5V8 installed, running, and happy for years. They installed 3 new desktops which are 64 bit machines and apparently need to install A5V11 on them.

I logged onto the server, built a Runtime install .exe, distributed to each of the new machines and installed changing the .ADB folder to the server drive.

HOWEVER, when I try to run the app from the new machines, I get ATL100.DLL not found... ?

Has anyone had this problem before ? This is a very timely problem this morning. As always, any input would be GREATLY appreciated !

I'd also accept any recommendations to a different install method as well...

Thanks, as always

Lar

Re: A5V11 Network Installation Problem

Larry, have you verified that your app will run correctly under A5V11 on your own machine?

Comment

Yes, and thanks for the early reply !

Comment

I just installed the app on this laptop and it ran fine as well. What the heck is the ATL100.DLL and could it be something missing from these new Dell 64 bit Desktops ?

Comment

Ok, can you tell us exactly (all details please) how you created the runtime install exe, and exactly (all details please) how you changed the ADB folder to the server drive ?

Comment

Tom,

1. Logged onto the server as Administrator
            2. From the CONTROL PANEL, TOOLS, CREATE INSTALL PACKAGE
            3. Notice popped up that it was the (x86) Runtime version
            4. Specified Both A5 Run time & Application Files
            5. Identified folder and completed the .EXE build
            6. Distributed to the desktop
            7. ran .exe
            8. Modified the screen shortcut and changed the C:\WVFARM5\alpha5.exe "c:\wvfarm5\wvfarmdb.adb" -INCLUDE="c:\wvfarm5\wvfarmdb.startup"
            icon to C:\WVFARM5\alpha5.exe "G:\wvfarm5\wvfarmdb.adb" -INCLUDE="G:\wvfarm5\wvfarmdb.startup"
            9. Selected the icon
            10. ATL100.DLL not found

???????????????????????????????????????

Comment

Larry, I haven't done it that way in so long I'm not sure what step 4 does.

Are the workstations running shadow copies after network optimization or are they supposed to run the database directly over the network? Your description of step 4 suggests you've bundled the actual database files, as though you were going to run stand alone.

Step 8 is suspect. Use the control panel tool and let Alpha create the desired shortcut for you.

Comment

Tom,

Perhaps the easiest "next step", is to determine "How" you would distribute an application to various network workstations. It is possible my way may not be the best way to make this happen.

Comment

Ok, tell us about your setting. Is this a local account? ARe the workstations optimized (shadowed?) Are you trying to automate the installation and setup or is it possible in this case to do the installation manually?

Comment

Tom,

ANY setup that would work will be fine with me. I don't believe the workstations are "shadowed" as I don't know how that relays to Alpha. No automation is/was intended. This is a local account to the best of my knowledge.

Lar

Comment

Tom,

Could the network optimization be a problem ? - as I'm not doing anything other than running the SETUP.EXE

Comment

Larry,

By "local account", I meant to find out if you could visit the client site and do the installation by hand?

If that's possible a manual installation would look like this:

a) install the runtime (only) on the new workstation.
                        b) start the runtime from the start button in windows
                        c) use the File menu to Open the database on the server
                        d) use the Tools menu to create a shortcut on the user's desktop

If you don't know about network optimization its time to get the help file documentation out and do a bit of reading. It is designed to speed up the performance of your database over a local network.

Comment

Tom,

Headed there now. I will email you later - hopefully with a successful email.

Thanks for ALL the help.

Lar

Comment

Larry, there seems to be problem with missing ATL100.DLL.
                            It is downloadable from several places, so it might well be the new build and not the Alpha install.
                            I've not had the problem with Acer Win7 64 installs.

http://www.dllme.com/dll/files/atl100_dll.html
                            See our Hybrid Option here;
                            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Tom,

I think I did the installation on WED, but wouldn't swear to it. The bottom fell out of the week and I expect you know exactly what that's like from time to time.

ANYWAY, I wanted to say THANKS ! I installed the run time on each of the workstations, opened to the server database, buit an icon and updated the call...

PERFECT ! No bumps at all. Thanks !

Lar

Comment

Working...
                              X