Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is SQL management studio needed to connect to a DB with SQL Server 2008 backend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is SQL management studio needed to connect to a DB with SQL Server 2008 backend

We have a created an Alpha5 db with forms based on some passive links connected to an SQL server 2008 backend. Our issue is that our users cannot seem to access these forms unless they have SQL management studio installed on their pc's.

What's strange is that if I take a machine that can't access the database, install the SQL management studio and then uninstall it, the PC manages to connect to the SQL tables and opens the forms. The software must be leaving some files behind after it's removal. So my questions are:

1. Does every PC that requires access to an alpha5 DB with an SQL backend have to have the SQL express 2008 management studio installed?
    2. What files is the SQL management studio software leaving behind after installation that allows the access.

I can't imagine that every PC would require this software to be installed in order to access our db so I can only assume that their may be some configuring to do with regards to the db's settings.

If anyone has come across something similar or wishes to give their two cents then by all means go ahead.

Regards,
    Cammy

Re: Is SQL management studio needed to connect to a DB with SQL Server 2008 backend

How are you running the Alpha set up on each PC Cammy?
    Are you using a Runtime install?
    Are you using Shadowing?
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Re: Is SQL management studio needed to connect to a DB with SQL Server 2008 backend

Don't know what is going on in your case but NO machines need Management Studio to be installed in order to create a link from Alpha to the database. You only need the MSSQL database installed on the server.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Ted,

Each member of staff has Alpha5 runtime installed on each of their machines. No shadowing or netowrk optimization is involved.

Steve,

That is what I would expect hence the reason for this post to see if anyone has experienced the same issue. I tried a few things on one PC from installing up to date patches to amending SQL permissions but in the end the only thing that allowed the connection was to install the management studio and then uninstall it.

Will continue the investigation.

Thanks for both your replies.
        Last edited by Cammy; 02-07-2012, 05:54 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

My guess would be that the connection string to the backend sql server is not correct set up and is possibly using local settings?
          Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Glen,

The connection string for the staff is as follows: {A5API='SQLServer',A5DBVersion=2008,Server='Dauntless\sqlexpress',A5ANSINullPadWarn=Default,UserName='SalesUsers',Password=<password>,Database='Sales'}

When testing this connection as a user it returns a 'success'. I have tried altering the connection string so it points to the IP of the server and this still connects but still ahs the initial issue of not accessing the form based on SQL tables.
            Last edited by Cammy; 02-07-2012, 11:18 AM. Reason: additional comments.

Comment

May be off target here but if you are using Windows Firewall on the clients, make sure port 1433 is not blocked. Just thinking that installing the Management Studio may open the port on the client - and possibly is leaving it open even if uninstalled. I have used Sql Server with clients without the management studio in a closed office environment (but windows firewall was disabled)

Comment

The office is using an office wide ISA firewall so the windows firewall is disabled on all PC's. Tried manually entering in the 1433 port and it still replies with a connection test 'successful' within the Alpha DAO builder but no joy with the viewing the forms.

Comment

Cameron

I have re-read your original posting. So if my understanding is correct you have an application stored at a central location in a shared folder on the server which contains passive linked tables which connect to a MS SQL server also located on that server.

You then have the runtime installed on various pcs that connect to the application stored in the shared folder on the server. You are not using shadowing so therefore every pc is directly opening the application in the shared folder on the server.

Is this assumption correct?
                  Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by glenschild View Post
                    So if my understanding is correct you have an application stored at a central location in a shared folder on the server which contains passive linked tables which connect to a MS SQL server also located on that server.
                    Yes, the Alpha5 application is stored in a shared folder accessible to users through a network drive. However, the SQL tables are held on an SQL database on a different server. The application connects to these via passive linked tables, defined through the applications Alpha DAO connection string.

Originally posted by glenschild View Post
                    You then have the runtime installed on various pcs that connect to the application stored in the shared folder on the server. You are not using shadowing so therefore every pc is directly opening the application in the shared folder on the server.
                    Correct

Comment

The only thing I can think of now, having tested this situation on both Active and Passive links is that there may be a difference in the Builds used to create the Run Time and the Application.
                      If the Dev was carried out on Build 1, and the latest RT you installed is Build 1.1, you may have problems. That's Alpha's side of the fence.

Are you able to click through the Passive Link Table in the Table/Sets panel and see the Default Form?
                      If you are, then I suggest you edit and save it and try from the Forms Panel.
                      If not, then I doubt that the link is working.
                      See our Hybrid Option here;
                      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thanks for your input Ted (and everyone else on this thread),

I checked the table/sets section on the runtime version and I can access the passive link tables but when trying to access a set based on these links, I do not receive any records (a solid connection should yield results i would have thought). I have a sneaking suspicion that something with the connection is not quite right but there is nothing obviously wrong with it i.e. can see data in passive links, the links can be refreshed successfully, testing the connection is a success.

Something management studio is installing is allowing the connection so i will have to see what that is leaving behind when it is removed.. I will keep everyone updated on any progress and if any other forum readers can chip in, then pelase feel free.

Comment

An update on the above. It seems that it is the "SQL server native client" that allows the connection to my SQL tables and forms to be allowed via the application. If this is installed on a machine, it allows the connections that I was previously unable to get.

This particular component installs as part of the management studio install (hence the reason why I thought it was this). I am still unsure as to why it requires this component but will carry out further investigations as would hope that I don't have to install this on all my machines.

Comment

Working...
                          X