Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Avantquest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avantquest?

I'm having a horrible time trying to purchase an upgrade to V11 from Avantquest.

I'm hoping I haven't been totally conned - are these people now the official Alpha dealer in the UK? And if so, do we have to deal with them?

My dispute has now gone to Paypal. I've never had this kind of trouble before with purchases direct from Alpha.

Re: Avantquest?

Hi Peter,
    are these people now the official Alpha dealer in the UK? And if so, do we have to deal with them?
    Yes.
    I'm hoping I haven't been totally conned
    No you have not.

Give me a call, maybe I can help.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

I have purchaed software from Avanquest before and have been happy with their service and my purchases. However .....

I received an email from Aplpha US re the v11 desktop offer which expires on 6th February. I decided to buy the Alpha Five v11 Desktop Edition and Unlimited Runtime bundle priced at $349.

When I clicked Add to Cart I was directed to the Avanquest UK shop and found that the offer was not available there.

Can someone explain why UK customers are deprived of this offer?

Comment

Thanks, Keith, I'll call you.

It seems like a seriously backward step appointing a UK distrib, though. The "upgrade" file to V11 as paid for and downloaded is actually corrupt!

Avantquest's "customer service" consists of a form email, telling you to check their FAQ for "technical support". Leaving aside the question that this is a *sales* matter, not one for tech support, searching for Alpha in the FAQ reveals:

"Alphabet Games"

And that's all. Jeez!

Phoning Avantquest's help line is equally frustrating. "All our lines are currently busy. Please try again in a few minutes". I did - five times.

Never had anything like this when dealing direct with Alpha Stateside. You can see why I'm asking Paypal for a refund.

Comment

I'm getting totally confused here. Perhaps you can enlightem me Keith or maybe some else can.

In another post Richard said that Brett would help me buy V11 and later changed that stating that Avanquest would be making a UK special offer matching the current US one in price in the coming days. Fine either way. I was ready to buy and assumed I could upgrade my V10 with feature packs I had purchased included in the upgrade.

Then someone in the other post implies that the runtime is included in the basic V11 version already, probably a 3 user one if that's true. It now seems I don't need to buy the runtime unless I need an unlimited one.

Now Pete is saying that the support from Avanquest is terrible/non existent which implies that UK buyers will no longer get support from the US Alpha experts.

All these uncertainties make me go off thinking further about buying V11 until the dust settles. In any case I haven't a clue which offer to buy if I do proceed now.

Mike

Comment

This is a worrying thread, I was just about to make the decision to sign up for the subscription based on the deep discount email that I received from Avantquest the other day. Having second thoughts now and whilst Alpha is an astonishing product set, if the supply chain can't be relied upon, can we really be confident in marekting this as a solution to potential clients? It would be interesting to get some Alpha/Avantquest feedback or committment on this.

the support from the stateside team has, for me anyway, always been of exceptionally good quality and that is one of the things that has always differentiated Alpha from the others.

Comment

Thank you for your help on the phone just now, Keith. I've just tried calling Mike Corbett from Avantquest on his mobile, as you suggested. Unfortunately, he's out of the office for another week (until the 13th).

So the situation is still the same - I've paid for the V11 upgrade, received a corrupt file from Avantquest, and none of my attempts to contact them has been successful. This is very unsatisfactory customer service.

I simply don't understand why Alpha felt it necessary to appoint a "local" distributor in the UK. In the internet age, aren't we all supposed to be global?

If the option for UK users is "Avantquest or nothing", then I'll be in the market for another database program.

Comment

Yes, likewise I'm very disappointed in the tactics being used for the UK user base.

I too have been considering buying v11, and have been getting attractive upgrade offers in USD similar to the OP's offer of $349, and likewise when clicking the link it eventually directs me to the alpha .co.uk site and seems to me to be almost what M$ do: just change the $ sign for � (admittedly rounding down to �300).

In practical terms, it means that should I choose to accept this offer, I'll be paying around �60 extra for residing in the UK, particularly as I'm not VAT registered.

I've copied the link to my private PC at home which has Cyberghost anonymous browsing software to see if I can force a US download.

If this doesn't work, I'll stay with v9, as this does all I want - it was just that I liked the thought of the most up-to-date version, even though it's not necessary.
                Last edited by Esio Trot; 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

We are in the process of sorting this out. In the meantime just email [email protected] and he will assist.

Thanks
                  Richard Rabins
                  Co Chairman
                  Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Vance View Post
                    I'm getting totally confused here. Perhaps you can enlightem me Keith or maybe some else can.

In another post Richard said that Brett would help me buy V11 and later changed that stating that Avanquest would be making a UK special offer matching the current US one in price in the coming days. Fine either way. I was ready to buy and assumed I could upgrade my V10 with feature packs I had purchased included in the upgrade.

Then someone in the other post implies that the runtime is included in the basic V11 version already, probably a 3 user one if that's true. It now seems I don't need to buy the runtime unless I need an unlimited one.

Now Pete is saying that the support from Avanquest is terrible/non existent which implies that UK buyers will no longer get support from the US Alpha experts.

All these uncertainties make me go off thinking further about buying V11 until the dust settles. In any case I haven't a clue which offer to buy if I do proceed now.

Mike
                    Mike - please email [email protected] and he will assist!
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

Can I point out that it is now nine days since I paid for - but did not receive - this upgrade.

I have asked Avanquest UK for a refund with no response. I don't know how anyone could conceivably regard this as acceptable customer service.

And yes Richard, I did indeed mail the person you recommended above with a request to help secure my refund.

Comment

please email [email protected] and cc me at [email protected] with the details and this will be taken care of!
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

Thank you, Richard, will do. Your timely response is a welcome contrast to Avanquest's total indifference.

Comment

Hi all,

I had an email at the end of last year from Alpha US offering to 'buy back' my previous version. Any idea if this process is still open to UK users?

I did respond to the email but Alpha's servers are still rejecting messages...'Technical details of permanent failure: The account <my@email> is disabled.'

:(
                            Wise Alpha once said said to me...
                            ..."Change must begin first."

Comment

please email [email protected] and he will assist
                              thanks
                              Richard Rabins
                              Co Chairman
                              Alpha Software

Comment

Working...