Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

NEW Alpha Five v11 Desktop Edition for developing desktop apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New! Alpha Five v11 Desktop Edition for developing desktop apps

Hello everyone.
    This is a great offer and when you look at the email ad it says
    <quote>
    For decades Alpha Five has been a leader in letting you build great desktop database applications, and we've attracted many of our customers from other tools like MS Access and Filemaker - because we have enormous power - without a steep learning curve.
    </quote>
    The price is at MS Access level and well below Filemaker. But MS Access offers free unlimited Runtime license for the cost of the program. If AlphaFive does the same I sure there will be more migration from those programs and I am sure there will be plenty of stand alone programs sold everywhere by the developers. That will be a great ad for Alpha. More people all be aware and would buy the product.
    I am sure Alpha may not go for it.

Thanks for reading
    Gandhi
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    [email protected]
    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Originally posted by GGandhi View Post
      Hello everyone.
      This is a great offer and when you look at the email ad it says
      <quote>
      For decades Alpha Five has been a leader in letting you build great desktop database applications, and we've attracted many of our customers from other tools like MS Access and Filemaker - because we have enormous power - without a steep learning curve.
      </quote>
      The price is at MS Access level and well below Filemaker. But MS Access offers free unlimited Runtime license for the cost of the program. If AlphaFive does the same I sure there will be more migration from those programs and I am sure there will be plenty of stand alone programs sold everywhere by the developers. That will be a great ad for Alpha. More people all be aware and would buy the product.
      I am sure Alpha may not go for it.

Thanks for reading
      Gandhi
      In defense of Alpha, access is a less capable product which is harder to use....
      Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
      It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
      RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Of course Mr. Tupper,
        But, in one of your recent posts, you said that you have spent about $2000.00 and nothing to show and finally you are getting somewhere with AlphaFive. Is that you or someone else?
        I searched by your name but can not locate it instantly. But I will. In the meantime, I am only suggesting exposure of the product not the caliber of it. Any product no matter how great it is, need to be exposed, more importantly appropriately. Is that's the reason, people spend millions tomorrow night? Did you see the email ad? A company this caliber with a product this good can not and should not advertise with "INTO" price for desktop.(they corrected that with runtime) That does not speak well. Many people see it and what they might think, regardless of the caliber of the product. You know this is a great product (despite not making any money using it and finally getting somewhere) and I know it( I am a hobbyist- not a pro programmer). Appearance matters, sophistication matters. I never said the MS Access is superior than Alpha.(I won't dare). I am only suggesting don't charge for Runtime(personal interest - above all).
        They won't go for it.

Thanks for reading.
        Gandhi
        Last edited by GGandhi; 02-04-2012, 06:11 PM. Reason: added "with AlphaFive"
        thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
        mysql backend
        [email protected]
        1 914 924 5171

Comment

Just wanted to comment on Teds comments

"I'm sure that Richard an Selwyn have looked at an "exit" route."

This is not something we are looking for at all!

As many of you know we took on our fist investor Joe Alsop a little over a year ago with the goal of growing the company in a steady and solid manner. The future of Alpha is very bright with the advent of HTML5 and mobile computing and the our ability to move into the rapidly evolving space of business applications that can built for desktop and mobile devices with one universal tool .
          Richard Rabins
          Co Chairman
          Alpha Software

Comment

Well you gotta admit that the price is much better!
            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by GGandhi View Post
              .....But, in one of your recent posts, you said that you have spent about $2000.00 and nothing to show and finally you are getting somewhere with AlphaFive. Is that you or someone else?

.....I am only suggesting don't charge for Runtime(personal interest - above all).....
              Hello Gandhi;

To answer your question, yes that was me who has spent the 2K over the past years, since ~1995. (It averages about $100/year including the large $1,000 investment I made in the subscription last year.) It's what I knew would drive me (and provide me with the training materials & class videos, which were of HUGE VALUE) to finally reach my long term goal of become proficient. I've wanted to do this for years, but simply did not have the time. (This isn't Alpha's fault, it was a timing issue.)

As for the free runtime from MS, it's been so long since I walked away from Access. ~ Access was "the original plan", but I walked away from it (for good) due to it's built-in limitations. I don't want to imagine what kind of a pain it would be to try and do the things I can in Alpha 5!

Don't forget that the only reason you need a runtime is to sell an application. (In which case, Alpha 5 is no longer being used for "personal interest.") ~ The a5 program itself has the runtime built right in and is included in the entry level product. (A runtime is merely a5 without development capabilities.)

Obviously, the MS business model (in general) is quite a bit different from the Alpha model, but remember this: MS is charging every user on every computer a fee to use their OS. (No matter what, you bought an OS, because it's "built into the price" of every new computer sold.) Alpha doesn't have this luxury of passing the buck directly to the consumer like this. And without positive cash flow, you don't have a product.

This being said, the only people who must actually purchase anything from Alpha are the people writing the apps, not the users. And with Alpha, even the "hobbyist" is presently getting a ton of "bang for the buck" given the a5 products' inherent capabilities! (I wouldn't have said this prior to Alpha re-introducing a sub $200 product.)

It goes without saying that Alpha doesn't begin to have the same depth of resources that MS does. Yet on their budget, they have been able to deliver a "sky is the limit" application (version after version, albeit a little buggy at times)* that does desktop aps, does web, soon will do smartphones and tablets. It works fairly seamless with SQL, mySQL, Access, .dbf, not to mention several other "large players." (And Alpha has always made their product quicker, more capable, and easier to use than an competing product I know of.)

When comparing between Access and Alpha's a5 v9, v10, or v11... From both a capability and "ease of use" standpoint, Alpha (IMHO) is worth at least 2x to 3x price of MS Access any day of the week! And if I go out and decide to begin developing apps commercially (which I intend to) I'd be happy to support the company by purchasing unlimited runtimes. Why? Because nothing is really free, and they've saved me time and increased my productivity. ~ They leverage my own abilities.... And I have to support the company that empowers me to help make this all possible.

PS: Before you call me an Alpha "Fan Boy" you should know that I'm an entrepreneur, I don't generally have much good to say about "Corporate America" and my whole life (being an entrepreneur) I've felt right at home "going against the grain." (And you've probably also seen some heated posts where I have criticized the product and the decision makers at Alpha.) My motivation and involvement in all of this is, and always has been to ultimately end up with a better & cleaner product for everyone to use. Regardless of all this, I must confess that there is something "almost magical" about Alpha 5. I don't know exactly what it is, but it is there....... And somewhere beneath all the a5 internal code, lies an absolute Genius! ~ Maybe that's the "magic!"

As for your comment on "exposure" you have a very valid point! More exposure would certainly be welcomed by most. (It's just not feasible when they're not generating income from each "computer-end-user", as MS does with their OS.)

*I've always been a "bug magnet" anyways.
              Last edited by SNusa; 02-05-2012, 03:10 AM.
              It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
              RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Richard,

Will this package be available in the UK>

Gil Smith
                Gil Smith

Comment

Re Exit Route.

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                  This is not something we are looking for at all!
                  That's really good to know Richard. Having followed Alpha for many years - close on 20 now - if the operation did get passed to other hands it would not be nearly as good in the future as the passion seems to get diluted following a change of ownership.

I wasn't aware that you had another investor Richard - must have missed the announcement - and I hope that the partnership works well for you both.
                  See our Hybrid Option here;
                  https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                  You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Gill, go direct Brett Johnson at Alph in the US.
                    See our Hybrid Option here;
                    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

<quote>
                      Don't forget that the only reason you need a runtime is to sell an application. (In which case, Alpha 5 is no longer being used for "personal interest.") ~ The a5 program itself has the runtime built right in and is included in the entry level product. (A runtime is merely a5 without development capabilities.)
                      </quote>
                      I am just not well informed, I guess. I am under the impression runtime can also be used in networked situation for your personal use, in addition to be able to sell you products commercially to those without alpha five in their machine. You probably know the answer. As it stands to day, at least with version 10.5 I have the program can be used as stand alone in ONE computer and since I have unlimited WAS I can access the data from everywhere. If the runtime was available free of cost( since addition of WAS had a price) I was under the impression that I can have multiuser situation locally at the network level and reach the data from anywhere internet is available. Guess I am wrong there.

<quote>
                      This being said, the only people who must actually purchase anything from Alpha are the people writing the apps, not the users.
                      </quote>
                      Recently a post in this board stated "You are not offering anything for me - I just need to use your program to track of few things myself, I am not a programmer" - that was not from me. I am sure alpha would like money coming from anybody at least I know I wouldn't mind. Many more people like that buy the product and many more people like you produce affordable standalone application then what will happen. More money to both you and the parent - alpha in this case, more exposure to everyone. With more money they can actually produce a good working user or help manual or wiki. Because of that more people will be on alpha side.
                      Also, I like to point to you many of the users produce wonderful products and they realize they can actually market it since it is so useful and fills the void there is and go on to become successful entrepreneurs.

As far as product and its capacity, you and I are on the same page. No quarrels there.

Thanks for reading.

Gandhi
                      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                      mysql backend
                      [email protected]
                      1 914 924 5171

Comment

Hi Ted,

I tried to buy it as a download but a message appeared saying that I had to but it from the UK distributors. However I cannot see this package on their website.

I do not want to cause a problem for Alpha,

Gil
                        Gil Smith

Comment

yes Gil -- it will be
                          Richard Rabins
                          Co Chairman
                          Alpha Software

Comment

After finding out about the new sub $200 offer, the OP of the "You are not offering anything for me thread" both acknowledged and thanked Alpha for offering "exactly what he needed." (I had updated that post with the new offering from Alpha, to make him aware of it. He's a "happy camper" now!)

If you need network capability (for desktop apps) you would have to either purchase an unlimited runtime, or purchase a copy of a5 for each computer on the network that was using the app. I don't think $139 x 2 is bad for full network support which includes the scaling capabilities of mySQL, or MS SQL back ends. (just to name a few) If you're needing mult-user capabilities, you're outside the realm of being a casual user / hobbyist. (IMHO)

Besides, (IMHO again), comparing Access to Alpha 5 is kind of like comparing a KIA/Hyundai automobile to a BMW driving machine. The KIA is inexpensive but basic. The BMW is all about user experience, and also could be considered somewhat "eccentric."* ~ FYI: I don't own either.

From what I know/knew, Access has never really been designed to scale up to the way Alpha will from the "get-go." ~ (Unlike Access, Alpha 5 is very "capable" product, even in even a corporate environment. (at a fraction of the overall price) To "scale up Access" you very quickly run into some very expensive solutions , as far as I know.) ~ Not so much with Alpha!

*My analogy refers to a5 as being "eccentric", because the underlying architecture of Alpha is X-basic. (something that does not fall within the conventions of a normal MS environment) ~ Maybe in my analogy, I should have referred to a5 as being more like like a "Toyota 3G Prius Hybrid" with an after-market supercharger under the hood.....

ONE OTHER HUGE THING WORTH MENTIONING: With an MS product, if you run into a problem / bug.... Have you ever tried to contact the company (MS) and get resolution? I have, it's like getting sucked into a black hole! (Which in my experience is totally opposite from the way in which Alpha handles things.) ~ To me, this translates into value!

PS: Years back, the runtimes sold by a5 were not setup like this. It was expensive, as they had tiers. (and thus the did limit the ability to produce "re-distributable" software) That limitation has been removed with the new licensing model, introduced several years ago. (the unlimited runtime which developers had presumably been asking for)

Ghandi: For your quotes to work in this forum, enclose them in [] (brackets), not <> (tags).
                            Last edited by SNusa; 02-05-2012, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Re: NEW Alpha Five v11 Desktop Edition for developing desktop apps

I purchased and downloaded the desktop edition with the unlimited runtime.

When installed, there's an AlphaFive v11 folder in my Windows start menu. It contains a shortcut to start AlphaFive V11 and a shortcut for AlphaFive V11 Help.

Clicking the shortcut for AlphaFive V11 Help results in a windows "Problem with Shortcut" message window opening to tell me that the AlphaFiveHelp.chm file has been changed or moved.

A search of my system turns up no AlphaFiveHelp.chm file anywhere.

Is there supposed to be a local help file installed?

Also, is there a general manual for AlphaFive available as a pdf file or something other than the extra cost items listed for sale? It used to be that manuals were part of the purchase price.

Thank you.

Comment

Re: NEW Alpha Five v11 Desktop Edition for developing desktop apps

Originally posted by pmfrench View Post
                                I purchased and downloaded the desktop edition with the unlimited runtime.

When installed, there's an AlphaFive v11 folder in my Windows start menu. It contains a shortcut to start AlphaFive V11 and a shortcut for AlphaFive V11 Help.

Clicking the shortcut for AlphaFive V11 Help results in a windows "Problem with Shortcut" message window opening to tell me that the AlphaFiveHelp.chm file has been changed or moved.

A search of my system turns up no AlphaFiveHelp.chm file anywhere.

Is there supposed to be a local help file installed?

Also, is there a general manual for AlphaFive available as a pdf file or something other than the extra cost items listed for sale? It used to be that manuals were part of the purchase price.

Thank you.
                                I believe that v10.5 was the last version shipped with a .chm file. (And that .chm was an old one for v.9) ~ I't all up to the wiki now....
                                (Plus video courses, seminars, sample and tutorial databases, and a5 instructional videos.)

I miss the .chm files, and still use my old one as reference before heading for online wiki help. (The wiki is getting better though.)

Comment

Working...
                                X