Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Filter for an embedded grid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter for an embedded grid?

If I open an embedded grid on a form is there any way to filter it based oneither a global variable or a key supplied by a function?

I've tried a bunch and searched a ton and cannot find the key to my happiness...

Thanks in advance.
    - BobT55
    BobT55
    Alpha Five Version 10.5 Build 4369 / Addins Build: 3712
    Active Link Tables via SQL Server 2008 R2 (on laptop)
    Win 7 Home Premium SP 1 - 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 15 (N5110) i5 2410M 8 GB Ram

Re: Filter for an embedded grid?

Oh boy - I must be talking in tongues, on the bleeding edge (in 10.5???), or just sounding dumb. Zero for two in the questions department. Hasn't anyone used embedded grids in 10.5 with the feature pack without using anything other than linked grids??? It looks like chaining embedded grids gives much more control and can be made to look very professional, but with such limits on setting a filter???

There were a few references to using embedded browses but wheres the help in building filtering into the form?

I'm thinking that maybe a little XBasic to call my function to read the key value and then populate the filter from there... If I can find any help or the syntax for referencing embedded grids in xdialogs.

Seriously, how do you put out a product with such limited, scattered help documentation and only rudimentary how-to videos that merely skim the surface?!? Maybe it's the frustration bubbling up to the surface but I THOUGHT this was going to be a good alternative to MS Access but come-on... are all desktop interfaces in Alpha Five rooted in a single record form with filtering to find the record you want?

- BobT55
    BobT55

Comment

Bob,

Did you ask about how to find the records when you have the Browse on a form?

As I know, No. A5 does not allow to find itself.

You have to create a query with Action Script or xBasic.

Comment

John,

Thanks for the reply! I was positive I was using invisable bits in my messages! ;-). Yes, I thought the "Feature Pack" for version 10.5 would allow me to select a record from an enbedded grid (list / browse format) and open another form with either another list-style grid embedded on it (or a single-record grid) and display on the new for the record or records related to the key value on the first grid. So far I've gotten this to work ffor embedded browses but no luck with embedded grids yet.

So would the xBasic run in an event on the form being opened to query the grid? Is the referencing similar to that for embedded browses? This is a long, slow learning experience which almost sent me back to MS Access or a combination of MS Lightswitch with Visual Studio...

Again, Thanks for the reply and any help you have to offer!
        - Bob
        BobT55

Comment

Bob,

What is the Embedded GRID? Are you referring the WEB version or Desktop?

Comment

John,

With the feature pack added to version 10.5 you can put a grid on a desktop form as well as a web page eliminating the extra development of browses for the desktop. In my case it does not seem possible. I'm currently developing the Desktop version of my app using embedded browses.

- Bob
            BobT55

Comment

Try here John.

http://www.ajaxvideotutorials.com/V1...dInXdialog.swf

Bob, basic grid works for me.
              Any chance of a sample?
              See our Hybrid Option here;
              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Bob,

All right. I do not have the 10.5 nor WEB experience, But on Desktop.
                If you have only the Browse, is shown on a form, you have to create your own QUERY/Filter in order to find the records.

It may help you to build the query

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ight=concierge

Comment

Ted,

Thank you and that is a great feature.

Comment

John,

Thank you VERY much for the link. That is exactly what I've been looking for lately as I pretty much gave up on the embedded grid! I don't know why my searches never found that one but it helps to have those with much more experience helping out! It actually makes it look fairly simple - but I should know shortly if it is as simple as it looks!

Thanks again!
                    - Bob
                    Last edited by BobT55; 03-05-2012, 07:36 PM. Reason: added giving up on the grid
                    BobT55

Comment

Bob,

Good to hear.

Bob, Before ask forum, searching around and study about your issue on this forum. A lots of question and good answer already there.

Comment

Bob, I have just revisited the Grid with Sort and Search embedded in a standard Form.
                        The key to all this is getting the layout and functionaility in the WAS side correct first. Then it's quite straightforward.
                        The video shows how to do the Concierge search in a Grid as well. It is also a progressive search.

If you stick with the tried and tested (easy) Browse, suggest you think carefully before creating an updatable browse. They are great for displaying data, a bit tricky to dynamically size, and if the source data is second level in a Set, searching across data at the top level and next level (Parent ID, Location/ Child Parent ID, Colour) can also be tricky unless you use a Mapped Table.
                        With the OnClick event, it's easy to launch a different form for data maintenance. A "New Record" button
                        Last edited by Ted Giles; 03-06-2012, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Ted,

My issue with the grid was my inability to open another form containing another grid from a record on the grid. Perhaps I'm stuck in my old ways but I don't like inconsistent sizing such as a tabbed grid presents when you open it in a non-embedded format such as the size of the tabs and form changing as you click them. I couldn't figure out how to query the grid embedded in an xDialog.

My current plan is to pretty much mimic my Access database and use the embedded browse to present the list and a button on the grid pops open a form for editing that record (or a new one). It sounds like were on the same page in that regard. This is definitely a different animal than Access which I've used since 2.0. It's really the promise of improved performance in a shared environment that pushed me away from the 'dark side' towards the light of Alpha Five.

It's always seemed that the best learning was in studying examples, which there was a ton of readily available ones for Access but very little for Alpha Five. Now that I've started communicating here on the board and being directed to some examples it's helping a lot.

I do appreciate your input and help and look forward to becoming an asset in the Alpha Five community.
                          BobT55

Comment

Some ideas Bob.
                            The biggest hurdle is the change of mindset between Access and Alpha.
                            Most Access users seem to delight in coding, which is unnecessary in a lot of cases with the Alpha basics.
                            The attached took about 20 mins.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ted,

This is very interesting indeed! I'm intrigued and confused at the same time!

Editable and Browse - It looks like you've embedded a browse and a 'frame' in a single form and linked them together somehow... I haven't found out how YET... but I'll keep looking and not crying 'uncle' for a while.

View Names - The same browse (it doesn't have to be in the current project?!) with no events evident but if you double click on a row it opens the Edit Names form. This is intriguing stuff indeed!

And a Menu of buttons with action scripts which open each of the forms. At least I found how they work!

And I like the look and feel - it give me that warm, fuzzy feeling that this wasn't a bad decision and I'll be able to do what I was hoping to in a clean, professional looking package.

Ahh! Just found the OnRowDblClick action script. Just took a bit more searching and clicking. You've made your point nicely and I see where the Action Scripting can make a more table platform. I'm going to dissect your sample a bit more and start modifying my screens along the same lines.

So my impression was that the browses and other objects needed to be in the same project. Did you import them from another project or delete the original after embedding (to save space in the sample zip)? I'm going back to the training now to look at Frames again.

Thank you very much - I owe you a pint (or two) if I ever have the pleasure of meeting you!
                              Cheers!
                              - Bob
                              BobT55

Comment

Working...
                              X