Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Form goes blank in Runtime but info shows when running the Full version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form goes blank in Runtime but info shows when running the Full version

I tried to find if anyone else has seen this but without any luck. I have a client that we recently moved to a new desktop with Runtime 10.5 on Windows 7. She's been experiencing issues off and on, but recently it became worse. She will enter information into a form, but as she progresses through the form the information will "disappear". I patched her machine with the latest update. Then I had her repeat the process (while I was logged in remotely watching her), and saw how the information disappeared. Then I logged in remotely to the server which is running Windows Server 2008 and the full version of Alpha Five 10.5 and pulled up the same record. I can see the information she entered into the form, but she cannot on hers. I was thinking it had to do with Windows 7, but now we're seeing it on another machine which is running XP. Any suggestions? I've indexed the DB, cleaned and packed it.

Re: Form goes blank in Runtime but info shows when running the Full version

Diana,

A beginning point in troubleshooting this would be to determine if the problem lies in field rules or in the data entry form itself.

Suggest you enter data on the runtime machine using the "default form" alpha will build for you (right click the table or set name in the control panel, choose "open default form"). If the problem does not occur that's a good sign the problem does not lie in field rules, or set structure, and the problem is most likely found in the custom data entry form. OTOH if the default form also misbehaves, check all the field rules and the table / set structures.

It's also fundamental that she should be using the same "build" for the Runtime, as the "developer" version.

Comment

Thanks Tom, I'll try your suggestion. The thing that's most disturbing is other than a few hiccups, everything has been running just fine for months, and only began when I moved one person to a 64-bit Win7 machine. I did find some references to the registerfiles.bat file found in the A5 Runtime directory, so I ran the appropriate version on each machine and am waiting to hear from the client as to whether that helped resolve the problem.

As always, much appreciated!

Comment

Diana

Keep us informed about the solution to this...

tks
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Will do. I'll know more later today. I am also going to go in after hours and rebuild the indexes for each table. Thanks again!

Comment

You ,ight want to refresh the shadow after all else.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

The .bat file didn't seem to help..actually caused some other issues to surface, so I uninstalled Alpha from her machine, rebooted, then reinstalled Alpha fresh and applied all patches. At the server side I updated all indexes on all tables and sets (redundant, but I did it anyway), packed the tables and opened the main form and removed an "always required" option on one of the fields. I did this because I had made it required several weeks ago when the problems started to surface. I know it doesn't seem like that could be an issue but I need to get them stabilized and am grabbing at straws. If she comes in tomorrow and still has the same issues I'll have her go through Tom's suggestions. I'll post again tomorrow.

Comment

It appears that the XP machine is ok now, but the Win7 machine is still doing weird things. She will fill in the one section and as soon as she gets to a particular field, all the information she just typed in disappears, even if she presses F9 in between, and then Alpha seems to freeze on her. If I open the db on another XP or Server 2008 machine and go to that record, I can see all the information. This is only happening to one user, and she is the only one on Win 7. It seems that it began back in December but has gone progressively worse.

Comment

Sounds like a hardware or malware issue to me.

Comment

"It's also fundamental that she should be using the same "build" for the Runtime, as the "developer" version. "
                    Have you confirmed that the version used to build the database is the same as the one used in the RT?
                    If the app created in say V1 is implemented, and the RT is V2, there will be problems
                    If the app is rebuilt and deployed under V2 and the RT is V1, there will be problems
                    Suggest you try;
                    Compatability Check and Run as Admin first time on the Win7 machine.
                    See our Hybrid Option here;
                    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Tom: I run regular checks for malware, and its a brand new machine. However, I'll try running a different malware program on it. I used malwarebytes and it has Norton for antivirus, also ran Ccleaner to get rid of all temp files.

Ted: Yes, I did confirm both the app and the run time are the same version, both are 10.5 and build 4369 and I couldn't find any further updates/patches. The app was built originally in Version 9 and upgraded to version 10. I still need for her to try the default form; however, its been difficult to get her to try this because her boss is on top of her all the time. What do you mean by "Run as Admin first time on the Win7 machine"? I uninstalled RT, rebooted, then reinstalled and patched under Admin privileges.

Comment

A thorough uninstall would use the Windows uninstaller, and then manually edit / remove all A5v 10 entries from software folders in the registry. It's been my experience that the normal uninstallation sequence fails to thorough clean out all the a5v10 entries in the registry.

diana, have you previously confirmed that the user cannot use the "default form" alpha will build to enter data? If she can enter data using the "default form" for the table or set supporting your custom form tha suggests your custom form is corrupt or that scripts running in the form are doing things you don't want.

Comment

Diana, if you did the admin the way you mentioned, that should be fine. Did you run a compatability check?
                          If you have time, might be better to go over and lean on her boss a bit.
                          At risk of being daft, the version converted from V9 might have been been created as a run time install using a previous version of V10.
                          So,
                          The Run Time App was built using version V10 developer build 1.
                          The latest Runtime is installed, say V10 Rt build 2.
                          The latest Dev version is installed, say Dev RT build 2. It's not enough to have this installed, the applivcation needs to be built - using install maker for example - with the same version as the RT.
                          If I'm stating the obvious and you have done this, my apologies.

Tom's suggestion is sound, however recomend you back up the registry first.
                          See our Hybrid Option here;
                          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

This could also ba a style sheet problem. There seems to be a differance in the way that things are displayed in XP Vs. Win 7. The data is there you just can't see it.

Comment

Hi all. I will hook up with the client this week and try the default form suggestion. I have to ask the question: If it truly were an issue with the form, field rules, etc., why do the people running XP not have a problem?

Allen: Could you please expand on your comment re: stylesheets? It sounds like you've seen this exact problem as well... I used tabs to create the form, I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X