Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Find Record main record from the child table is not working for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find Record main record from the child table is not working for me

I have a form with 2 child table.
    From the main menu a call button to open the mainform (papamama form) with a parameter to find records based on one of the child fields table/set.
    When pressed and asked for a child name , It comesback with no records.
    See attached. From main menu the button to find parent from child.
    Is it possible to get the main records from the child table?
    Attached Files

Re: Find Record main record from the child table is not working for me

I made a saved query for the set then used the AS with 2 steps: 1 to open the form, and the 2nd to run the query. I couldn't get it to work by adding the filter in the open form genie either.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Try this.
      See the Suggestions
      The Browse behind the search is viewable/hidden.
      Next Question?
      Attached Files
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Some how I think you need to redesign and look from another set - one where the child table is the primary and linked to the parent table..

Especially since each child name is not unique...

(like Ted said/showed...)
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

First: Thanks to all for their response.
          Second: The reason for going to this old db, is becasue somehow the problems are associated with sets of multiple tables.

Thanks in advance.
          The issue of not being able to get the data from a child table still remains.
          Actually this was a simplified version of the issue.
          The need is that the user have to enter 3 paremeters from the main form and one paremeter from the child table, to get the records.
          Just using the paremeters from the main forms, works well. Once we add the search for the paremeter of the child table, stops.
          So reversing the set, does not solve my problem.

I am attaching and old DB with other issues as well. The explanation is on the forms as they are open from the main menu form.

Issue # 2 in the sample, is the must pressing righ now.....

Any solution?????
          Attached Files

Comment

Comment Mike.
            1) Only 2 Susan records show in the version you have posted
            2) Too many close Table Names. There should be no limit, but I've had issues with names over 8 char being the same.
            3) Sorry, Al's comment is most valid. Also, I would not do it this way at all, but please don't be offended cos I'm not in your predicament. I would create a Find based on an Index Value, NOT a "put a name in here and I'll see if I can find it" Parameter. As the name is typed in, the options are displayed.

Could you let us have a bit of a more detailed desctription as to what you need the application to do? If you can draw an Activity Diagram that would help a great deal.
            Why do you need 4 pieces of data to access the records? If it is for security reasons, then it's a bit over the top.
            You mentioned time is money, so a simpler way of access the unique record comprising Parent and Children should be a priority.

Comment

Ted, thanks for taking the time. You are correct, the approach I am using, as I see, is not going to work as originally designed.
              let me explain the objective.I am converting a system, which that method was working.
              In alpha, we have to think a bit different.
              Yes, I need 4 fields from the main record and one from the child plus there are 2 more fields, but those 2 are calculated internally with no user interaction to retrieve the records.
              The fields are not related or depended in any way.
              A report is not what is wanted, as the user must go record by record retrieved and do something, like an email or a letter or a phone call.
              I am goint to look into creating a xdialog to call the form and treated it as if the form is a report.
              Do you think this will work better?

Comment

Is there a way to create an automatic query by form?
                In other words, have a set of prompts just like the genie, but intead of selecting the fields, the prompts will be there and be filled by the user.

Kind of xdialog
                Some how a way to fill the current_filter, either at the form or before we get there.

Comment

Mike, I know I'm being a bit dim here, but you have lost me as to what you need to achieve.
                  4 fields from one record and one from another and they are not linked. How do you establish a relationship then? Which 4 fields are you referring to?
                  In your Set, the relationships are on an ID field. Will this not still be the case?

Tell me if the following won't work;

Parent Table
                  Parent ID, Name

Child Table
                  ..Child Id, Name
                  ..Parent ID (foreign key)

Can you do a video of the current process and post it? (Using something like Jing)
                  Alternatively, lead me through the process a step at a time, as in;

Enter Parent
                  Enter multiple Children and demographics

Search for matching circumstances, like;
                  Find Names of Parents with Childern under 10 years living in Ky with One parent and no telephone or Zip code.

This is definitely doable, just need a bit more info.

Comment

Ooops. When I said the 4 fields were not related I meant to each other. Everything is linked and indexed in the set.

Just for the time beeing, here is the solution I am implemeting.
                    Part of the process is a set composed of FormA(parent) FormA1(Child) and FormA2(Child) Are filled in first.
                    A posting process takes place to fill a set composed of FormB, FormB1, FormB2 Both sets are similar in structure.
                    Set of FormB is the one I need to query. So...

A field called fieldX, found in FormB1 & FormA1(Among other fields, is the field I need for the retrieval )it gets filled upon a lookup. This works well.
                    By adding this field to FormA structure and using a posting in the fieldrules of FieldX in the FormA1 to filled it in FormA.
                    This field now exist in FormB too.
                    Then all this gets transfer to the set of FormB. So now I circumbent the lack or recognition of the child table in the retieval matrix;
                    By having all field need it the Parent form. Crude and taxing, but it seems to work.

I was lucky to the fact that the records entered in FormA1, only one will carry data to fill FieldX.
                    I think is on line to what you are suggesting.

I can see future issues, like a change of data, But I will deal with it later.

What do you think?

Comment

Lets see the working database.
                      While I was driving back from a visit, I started thinking about using a multi field query.
                      Like this;
                      multiQuery.png
                      Operations
                      .. Query
                      ....Select Set
                      ......Add conditions
                      ........Prompt at Run Time

Comment

Here is the table using a query, The query is working, But I can not open the form.
                        I am not very good at this area yet.

See the Main menu the 2 left buttons. the query should bring 2 records as designed.
                        If we can make it to open the form, then How do we create a fill in query?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Try this.
                          ..Blond
                          ..London
                          ..Vien
                          You need to click twice to show the form. Not got time to figure out why. It's 23.00hrs here and beer o'clock.

Edit.
                          I'm going senile. The query is being run twice and it only needs to be run once.
                          Remove the first Query behind the button Mike.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Ted Giles; 02-24-2012, 04:43 AM.

Comment

I saw the double and I figured the problem
                            1 Not enogh pints
                            2 The double request.
                            I took care of 2

Is another day.
                            Here is a newer version.
                            See the problem:
                            In your way I get all the kind in the view. I need only to see the kids matching the parent.
                            In mine I get no records, yet the query works.

What is the solution?
                            Attached Files

Comment

There is definitely a bug in the Query function as it won't allow selection of a second level field.

One way I have been trying, is to Join the Parent and Kids tables - all fields, Kids as the primary, and Parents as the Transaction Table.
                              This will enable you to search for the data you want.
                              Have to pick my wife up from hospital now, but I'll try and create a process as an example.

In the meantime, try joining the tables and searching on what will then be a Flat File (single table)

Comment

Working...
                              X