Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problems with reinstall after hard drive crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with reinstall after hard drive crash

A5V8 has always frozen a couple times a week and had to be closed and restarted, but now it's freezing everytime I change index, switch from browse to form or even when I save. It's already crashed at least 4 times today. The last 2 computers I bought are XP professional so I wouldn't have to upgrade this program because after 5 years of working with it, it still isn't doing everything A4v4 could do.

I'm not a programmer. That's why I bought my first verson of Alpha about 15 years ago and it was way easier to use, help was easier, terminology was easier. Anyone have any simple suggestions on how to keep it from crashing?

Thx!

Re: Problems with reinstall after hard drive crash

There has to be a reason for the crashes. v8 seemed to be a very solid version, so someting in the application would be a guess. Since this has been an issue on more than one computer and more than one install, it seems the computer and install should not be an issue.

Can you zip and upload the app without any data or modified data(better) so someone can look at your app? It is not necessary that someone else sees real data. It sounds like(to me) there are index issues somewhere in there.

a5 can far surpass a4 in almost everything except where windows gets in the way.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave, I have know I idea how to zip a file or which ones you mean for that matter. My guess is I have too many records or it to handle. I currently have 10811 in my inventory file. I have not been able to "move" or "copy & delete" old records for 2010 & 2011 because it's too complicated. This afternoon I moved some files (my husbands collection) new purchases from the last 2 years to his collection table. Alpha didn't say "done moving 74 records" or even just "done" so I ended up with those records in the collection file at least twice and my inventory was empty. Lucky I had the files on the other computer so copied over all the older files, but still have the collection things in inventory now. For practice, I went into collection and marked all the dupes. Looked in help to see how to delete marked records and is shows mark a record, delete, but not "delete marked records".
      I also need to figure a way to move sold records to a new database (table) to make the inventory table workable. I used to just move available records to a table with the new year, but last time I did than the "memo" field got screwed up. I lost a lot of it. So I though this year I would try moving the sold in 2010 to a new database (table) and the sold 2011 to another.
      I give up for today. If you have any ideas, feel free to email.

Comment

You have totally confused me.
        10000 records are no problem(or even 80000)
        Moving records and whatever it is you are doing would drive me over the edge.

My very large apps are never duplicated, copied(except for backup), or emptied because of end of year.

I would(and I think others) need a lot more information or to get a good look at what you are doing.

It would be best to zip up the folder(please say it is all in one folder) you have all this in and send it to someone you trust to gat a real good look at it. I currently suspect many snakes in the den and am afraid to suggest anything yet.

a year/date field in a db gives one all the need necessary to seperate records by year in reports/forms/searches/etc - much better than making new tables and emptying old ones. Sold records should be the same, but marked as sold, not removed to some other place.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I have had a really good day. The program only froze once but it was a dandy. Had to restart the computer to reopen because it said it was already open but I could click "here" to buy another copy. Are they kidding?

Anyway, if it's not a problem to keep adding to this table, I have just one more question (for now).

In "Browse", how can I view only "marked" or only "unmarked" records and stay in the order of the index currently running.

Thank you!!!!

Comment

Typically, people relied on changing indexes a lot in alpha 4 although, I can't remember doing a lot of that. Then when moving to alpha 5, they generally made one to several complicated indexes for a table. These complicated indexes can lead to some of your problems if they exist.

I am pretty sure I have larger programs than what you have alluded to with a few very simple indexes to do what is needed.

I think Tom Cone is helping you to some degree and he is as good or better( I think better) than I am. Tom only lives a few miles from where I live.

As to uploading your app to get it looked at, there is usually a program to compress your files available on the internet. Once installed, you can upload it to here or email it if it is too large for this forum. Alternative would be to let someone take a look by way of a program like GoTo. They can actually look at your program, actually run it and make suggestions or help you with the finest details.

The important thing is to make it easy for you and for you to reallyn learn some of this.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Just a thought have you performed a data base compact or performed the utility to check your indexes.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BOB SULLIVAN View Post
                Just a thought have you performed a data base compact or performed the utility to check your indexes.

Bob
                Bob, thanks for the reply! I tried refreshing the indexes often. It would help some time but never for long. I never tried the "compact" because I was lead to believe from older versions that compact would delete my marked records. I know better now, but the help files were not helpful in this case. Since compacting it's working better. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X