Alpha Video Training

Thread: "Working Preview" not working since installing V11 new patch today

Real Name
    Kim Gillan

Default "Working Preview" not working since installing V11 new patch today

Is anyone else having this issue?

I installed the new V11 patch today, and now the "Working Preview" screen is not coming up most the time ~ it may come up once or twice, then is just "blank" after that.

Once I get a blank Working Preview screen, I have to CLOSE A5 and re-open it to get the Working Preview back. Going back to "Edit mode", or closing the Grid I'm working on and opening a new Grid, does NOT fix the problem.\

This is a real pain. Any suggestions?

Thanks! Kim

"Certified" Alphaholic iRadiate's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stephen

Default Re: "Working Preview" not working since installing V11 new patch today

Kim,

Working Preview seems to be working for me with grids & dialogs, but my TabbedUI does not show anything in the side panel anymore.

TUI.JPG

Stephen

Real Name
    Kim Gillan

My TabbedUI Live Preview does not work now under IE, but it will work (including sidebars) under firefox.

Only about 1/2 my grids will display a Working Preveiw, and if I open / close the Working Preview a couple times, it goes away even on those grids.

i was not having this problem until this installation (I also installed the new F Packs, but disabled those inlight of the problems)

Can I go backwards???? I have a big project to out, don't know what I was thinking when I installed this patch. I usually wait a while before doing these, but thought it might fix some other issues I was having. BIG MISTAKE.

kIM

Real Name
    Stephen

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make a drive image of my working system before updating with any patches.
    Notify Alpha right away .. perhaps they can figure out what's happening.

I don't have time to play more with this today, but I'll do some more testing tomorrow.

Stephen

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

there are no problems with the latest build in working preview, or in the tabbed UI.

if you have a situation where working preview is not working, or the tabbed ui is not working correctly, then go to help/submit a bug report and submit a bug report.
    be sure to read the instructions carefully on how to submit a bug report. - you MUST include a test case that allows us to duplicate the problem.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jaime Ben David

FWIW working preview for grids, dialogs and tabbed UIs work correctly here with the last version update.

Jaime

Real Name
    Stephen

Actually, in my case, the tabbed ui pane was not showing in working preview prior to the upgrade, so the update is not responsible for this (I don't use working preview often to be honest).
    Update seems to be working fine here.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

tabbed UI works fine in working preview and has worked fine ever since v11 was initially released. if you have a situation were tabbed UI does not work then you should submit a bug report with a test case.

the only thing in a tabbed UI that would NOT be expected to work in working preview would be an .a5w page or a report. the reasons for this are explained in the 'what is working preview' hyperlink in the builder.

Real Name
    Kim Gillan

Thank you Selwyn for your suggestion to check IE to resolve "working preview" issue.

1) I reinstalled IE9 (this did not fixt problem). So I then
    2) REINSTALLED my original V11
    3) REINSTALLED the V11 Patch

I'm not quite sure what the issue was, but obviously there was a connectivity glitch somewhere because
    after reinstalling everything (and I restarted the computer after each install),
    everything is working again. Phew..... Thanks for everyone's help. Kim

Real Name
    Joël de Jonghe

Note that we have submitted two cases related to this topic this afternoon with the appropriate videos, they have been accepted by A5 and they are working to find solutions on them. I am however not sure it is definitely related to the last release but I however spotted them since I loaded the last release update.

These two issues are both linked to session variables in dialog2 modules and working preview :

1. If you have one session variable called abc and a second one called abcdef -> the system replaces the first string in the second one when defaulting controls. I mean
    Control 1 defaulted to session.abc
    Control 2 defaulted to session.abcdef

session.abc is set to "1" in Xbasic

Output of the grid :

Control 1 : 1 --> OK
    Control 2 : 1def -> KO

you might check this video for an example http://screencast.com/t/JuvKFkQxBb

Jerry Brightbill told me to use the syntax =session.varname in default value to avoid the problem. However, it does not work in working preview (but it is ok on the local and livepreview server). Jerry told me the fix will be in the next pre-release.

2. I called one session variable alias (thus making session.alias). The simple utilization of this variable in Xbasic provokes a major unstability of the working preview. I suppose the utilization of 'Alias' is not really the issue, there is seemingly something deeper.
    It is useless to try to solve the issue (once the error occurs, you get weird error messages in working preview whatever you do), the problem even 'contaminates' other dialog2 grids that you might further load. I had some luck to discover the origin of the problem since the first working preview works fine, but the second and following working previews are erroneous, so you need to check twice ... The only solution is to exit A5 and restart. For an example, check this video http://screencast.com/t/Kc3DWVu1e
    For this second issue, it seems me probable it is linked to the new build since I made this grid a few weeks ago and all was working fine initially.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Rich Fulham

RE: post # 10.
    Interesting that in w/p mode it at least tried to replace the session variable for the field initialization.
    In w/p mode, when a session variable is used in the detail part for a Static Filter to call a component for a dropdown lookup then working preview makes no attempt at all to replace the session variable. It sends the string, as-is, to sql and generate the "Could not get count of records in query" error.