Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"Working Preview" not working since installing V11 new patch today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Working Preview" not working since installing V11 new patch today

Is anyone else having this issue?

I installed the new V11 patch today, and now the "Working Preview" screen is not coming up most the time ~ it may come up once or twice, then is just "blank" after that.

Once I get a blank Working Preview screen, I have to CLOSE A5 and re-open it to get the Working Preview back. Going back to "Edit mode", or closing the Grid I'm working on and opening a new Grid, does NOT fix the problem.\

This is a real pain. Any suggestions?

Thanks! Kim

Re: "Working Preview" not working since installing V11 new patch today

Kim,

Working Preview seems to be working for me with grids & dialogs, but my TabbedUI does not show anything in the side panel anymore.

TUI.JPG

Stephen
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

My TabbedUI Live Preview does not work now under IE, but it will work (including sidebars) under firefox.

Only about 1/2 my grids will display a Working Preveiw, and if I open / close the Working Preview a couple times, it goes away even on those grids.

i was not having this problem until this installation (I also installed the new F Packs, but disabled those inlight of the problems)

Can I go backwards???? I have a big project to out, don't know what I was thinking when I installed this patch. I usually wait a while before doing these, but thought it might fix some other issues I was having. BIG MISTAKE.

kIM

Comment

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make a drive image of my working system before updating with any patches.
        Notify Alpha right away .. perhaps they can figure out what's happening.

I don't have time to play more with this today, but I'll do some more testing tomorrow.

Stephen
        Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

there are no problems with the latest build in working preview, or in the tabbed UI.

if you have a situation where working preview is not working, or the tabbed ui is not working correctly, then go to help/submit a bug report and submit a bug report.
          be sure to read the instructions carefully on how to submit a bug report. - you MUST include a test case that allows us to duplicate the problem.

Comment

FWIW working preview for grids, dialogs and tabbed UIs work correctly here with the last version update.

Jaime

Comment

Actually, in my case, the tabbed ui pane was not showing in working preview prior to the upgrade, so the update is not responsible for this (I don't use working preview often to be honest).
              Update seems to be working fine here.

Comment

tabbed UI works fine in working preview and has worked fine ever since v11 was initially released. if you have a situation were tabbed UI does not work then you should submit a bug report with a test case.

the only thing in a tabbed UI that would NOT be expected to work in working preview would be an .a5w page or a report. the reasons for this are explained in the 'what is working preview' hyperlink in the builder.

Comment

Thank you Selwyn for your suggestion to check IE to resolve "working preview" issue.

1) I reinstalled IE9 (this did not fixt problem). So I then
                  2) REINSTALLED my original V11
                  3) REINSTALLED the V11 Patch

I'm not quite sure what the issue was, but obviously there was a connectivity glitch somewhere because
                  after reinstalling everything (and I restarted the computer after each install),
                  everything is working again. Phew..... Thanks for everyone's help. Kim

Comment

Note that we have submitted two cases related to this topic this afternoon with the appropriate videos, they have been accepted by A5 and they are working to find solutions on them. I am however not sure it is definitely related to the last release but I however spotted them since I loaded the last release update.

These two issues are both linked to session variables in dialog2 modules and working preview :

1. If you have one session variable called abc and a second one called abcdef -> the system replaces the first string in the second one when defaulting controls. I mean
                    Control 1 defaulted to session.abc
                    Control 2 defaulted to session.abcdef

session.abc is set to "1" in Xbasic

Output of the grid :

Control 1 : 1 --> OK
                    Control 2 : 1def -> KO

you might check this video for an example http://screencast.com/t/JuvKFkQxBb

Jerry Brightbill told me to use the syntax =session.varname in default value to avoid the problem. However, it does not work in working preview (but it is ok on the local and livepreview server). Jerry told me the fix will be in the next pre-release.

2. I called one session variable alias (thus making session.alias). The simple utilization of this variable in Xbasic provokes a major unstability of the working preview. I suppose the utilization of 'Alias' is not really the issue, there is seemingly something deeper.
                    It is useless to try to solve the issue (once the error occurs, you get weird error messages in working preview whatever you do), the problem even 'contaminates' other dialog2 grids that you might further load. I had some luck to discover the origin of the problem since the first working preview works fine, but the second and following working previews are erroneous, so you need to check twice ... The only solution is to exit A5 and restart. For an example, check this video http://screencast.com/t/Kc3DWVu1e
                    For this second issue, it seems me probable it is linked to the new build since I made this grid a few weeks ago and all was working fine initially.

Comment

RE: post # 10.
                      Interesting that in w/p mode it at least tried to replace the session variable for the field initialization.
                      In w/p mode, when a session variable is used in the detail part for a Static Filter to call a component for a dropdown lookup then working preview makes no attempt at all to replace the session variable. It sends the string, as-is, to sql and generate the "Could not get count of records in query" error.

Comment

Working...
                      X