Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How can I Group columns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I Group columns?

Hi,

The users want to see all columns in one table, which is not a problem but they also want "parent column headings" in order to group the columns by type. This is possible in Excel so of course they want to see it displayed in the same way in A5.
    Here is a screenshot of what I mean:
    ColumnGroupingExample.png

How can I achive this?
    Thank you for your help!

Re: How can I Group columns? - Group Column HEADINGS

Hi Gamma -

I don't have an answer .... but I think you are looking to group the Column Headings, more than the columns themselves....

I tried to insert a merge begin/end around a couple of fields, and assigned a Column Heading to the Merge control, and a separate column heading to the field controls.

But, the end result is that I get the Column Heading for the Merge, and not for the fields.... and, the fields get merged which is not what you want.

please keep us posted if you find a solution
    MSQL since 2010
    A5V11 since Feb 2012

Comment

Re: How can I Group columns?

I don't have the answer either, but i do use the technique you showed in the picture

screen1.jpg
      Pat Bremkamp
      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

... in the back of my mind, I feel sure that I saw an A5 grid with grouped column headings, and stuck it in the back of my head that it was possible

But I'm not sure where I saw it.

Can you pop in at today's free webinar that Steve Wood holds (Fridays at noon pacific time) and ask ?

Oh - you have a time difference....
        I'll be in transit, but will try to attend the webinar and ask on your behalf if you aren't there.

http://www.alphatogo.com/support.a5w
        MSQL since 2010
        A5V11 since Feb 2012

Comment

Hi Gamma,

I've done something similar to this before.

The way I went about it was to create number of grids from the same table each with the columns that required grouping then I edited the free form edit region above each and placed a header. A bit of inline CSS formatted the headers to match the style sheet used for each grid and I removed things like the number of records and the ablity to save individual rows from each grid.

I then created a dialog and embedded the grids. I removed the break and horizontal spacing to give the look of a single grid and I allowed the style to be set by each individual grid.

Its a bit hacky as you need to hard code the group header and set the grouped columns by way of the fields included in each grid. It does however approximate a look of Excel. There may be (far) better ways to acheive this but it was the best I could come up with at the time.

Screen shot below shows an example of what I ended up with.

dia2_emb_gr.PNG

Troy

Comment

That's rather impressive, Troy.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

hi Everyone!

Thank you for all your replies.
              @Marion as you may have noticed I did not make it to the webinar.
              @Pat, color coding is already a good start, thank you.
              @Troy nice work, Thank you for the idea, how do you manage scrolling? I need to learn a bit more about CSS I believe;-)

Comment

This is way easier. Open the onTitlesRender event and insert this as a test.

Optional: Replace the value for class="" with the class name for your grid, "GrBlueColumnTD", etc.

e.htmlPrefix = <<%txt%
                <tr>
                <td></td><!-- empty column to account for my Selector Column -->
                <td class="BlueMoonColumnTD" colspan=2>group1</td>
                <td class="BlueMoonColumnTD" colspan=2>group2</td>
                <td class="BlueMoonColumnTD" colspan=1>group3</td>
                </tr>
                %txt%
                Now go figure out what you actually need for grouped columns and fix up the value for e.htmlPrefix.

Zero or more initial empty TD columns may be required depending on what you have included in the front of your grid, like a Selector Column.

You can alter the group appearance by changing the Class and providing a CSS file to define the group header.
                Attached Files
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

And when using a non-legacy style, how do you get grid lines to show up around the groups properly?

When I try putting in the borders where I want them I get double borders on the column headings that A5 puts in.
                  See columns "01", "03", "06", and "07" here:

HeadingBorderCellVsControl.png

For those columns I used "Column Properties / Heading in-line style" set to:
                  border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px;

A5 generates this:
                  <th id="GRID1.COLUMNTITLES.TOP.RSVAL_RATE_ABBR_01" class="GrBlueGridHeader" style="border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px;" nowrap="nowrap">
                  <span class="GrBlueLink"><span style="border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px;">01</span></span> </th>

The problem is I don't know how to tell A5 to only apply the specified in-line style to the <th> element and not to the <span> element.

Comment

Hi Steve!
                    Thank you for your help! That works great for me!

Comment

Steve - I realize this is an old post, but it saved me - big time. Thank you!

Comment

Heck, half the reason I post is so I can go back to figure something out that I used to know well!
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Me too, awesome tip !

Comment

Oh, if we are going to resurrect this post let me throw in the answer to my post # 9 -- instead of using border lines, just eliminate the borders and use background shading on heading columns and detail columns to delineate groups. I use the server-side event that Steve posted in # 8 to dynamically load the required HTML prefix lines from a file. The system administrators can setup various groupings for the columns based on a value in the parent table. Dynamic colors are achieved by defining CSS classes to go along with the HTML.

Comment

Working...
                            X