Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Language / Unicode Support in V11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weakness of Alpha software V11 ( PLEASE READ ALL ) IMPORTANT

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    I like it!
    thx mr. peter :)
    Last edited by aal_fareed; 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM.
    To live anywhere in the world today and be against equality because of race or color is like living in Alaska and being against snow.�

- William Faulkner

Comment

Results are so-so. It appears in the grid fine, but is of course left-to-right editing. It does appear in the grid properly in working preview and sent to a browser. It does not render properly in a Report, etc. I don't know enough about unicode to know if I am doing all of these correctly. Half of the books in my house are in Farsi, so I should get more familiar.

I did test it on CKEditor (the HTML editor that I use) and it works perfectly including the right-to-left typing. Here is an example of that (set the language to Arabic): http://nightly.ckeditor.com/7366/_sa...languages.html

alpha1.gif
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
        Results are so-so. It appears in the grid fine, but is of course left-to-right editing. It does appear in the grid properly in working preview and sent to a browser. It does not render properly in a Report, etc. I don't know enough about unicode to know if I am doing all of these correctly. Half of the books in my house are in Farsi, so I should get more familiar.

I did test it on CKEditor (the HTML editor that I use) and it works perfectly including the right-to-left typing. Here is an example of that (set the language to Arabic): http://nightly.ckeditor.com/7366/_sa...languages.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31196[/ATTACH]
        i can see the Arabic letter working fine and i can read it ...
        is that mysql ? can we make it into DBF ? i really appreciate your work ...
        dude for me i think u r one of the best helpfull people i ever met in my life ... the world need more of you ... thanks alot .. but can you confirm if we can get this into DBF ?
        about the right - left sides ... i think we can control it from the field property by inserting html tag ...
        hmmmm ...
        kamel ? did i suggest you to use mysql today...
        Anyways i still want to know if we can use the DBF for that arabic letters
        Thanks alot for your cob ration
        Last edited by aal_fareed; 03-05-2012, 03:55 PM.
        To live anywhere in the world today and be against equality because of race or color is like living in Alaska and being against snow.�

- William Faulkner

Comment

there is no support for unicode in .dbf tables - you have to use a sql backend.

in a web application, i can't think of any reason to favor .dbf tables over a sql backend.

Comment

Ahmed,

I did not get around to testing in in DBF, but I am sure Selwyn is right. It is very obvious as you read online about unicode and database that the database itself has to support this. In creating my SQL tables I had to specifically toggle the table to accept unicode.

Unless you have to write serious code, there is hardly any difference between DBF and SQL when it comes to using Alpha Five. If you do have to write code, it is very different - but there are billions of references on the web to assist.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post

in a web application, i can't think of any reason to favor .dbf tables over a sql backend.
              and this is what the thread about , am asking if its possible for alpha to throw the problem in the thread so all developers can share knolwlge as they might one day solve this issue ,
              as well ,
              in V10 we could display the arabic or other languages , but not in v11 as shown in kamel post and attachments ,

can you tell me why this is happening ?

and btw i just tried mysql now and its not working .. something fishy is going on ,
              mr steve i think u were using v10 ... this is ok it will work in dbf as well ..
              but the problem exists in V11
              and 5 minits i will submit a bug report with test case etc ...
              Last edited by aal_fareed; 03-06-2012, 05:19 AM.

- William Faulkner

Comment

, i can't think of any reason to favor .dbf tables over a sql backend.
                i can tell you many reasons ,
                first of all we will lose very important functions such as oprations in the tables ,
                oprations cannot connect to sql back end ,
                and we will not have the full functional properties in sql as we got in the DBF ,
                i.e join table , crosstab table , appending , i am talking about geniun buttons , also i am not sure about that , but we might lose some functional properties like look up as i tried it befor in v10 ,
                i dont know whats going on now , you guys telling me something , and i see something else !!!
                i agree there is no diffrence as a database , but as features , and functions that alpha provide in dbf ,
                yes we are going to lose that
                so yes its big deal for me .
                please do not ignoore these points or correct me if i am mistaken , i know you guys are busy and hard working ,
                but i still want answers cus i am in middle of projects and i am assuming that alpha developers should help me to sort any issue that am facing .
                waiting for answers still .
                Regards
                Ahmed Sh

- William Faulkner

Comment

Ahmed, Alpha Five's dbf format is the same as Foxpro 2.6. As Selwyn said this format does not support unicode characters.

If you have an example in v10 where you store arabic characters in a DBF table I'd like to see it. Could you post it here as an attachment to your next reply?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                    Ahmed, Alpha Five's dbf format is the same as Foxpro 2.6. As Selwyn said this format does not support unicode characters.

If you have an example in v10 where you store arabic characters in a DBF table I'd like to see it. Could you post it here as an attachment to your next reply?
                    hey tom ,
                    the above attachment in kamel post is same issue ,

and here is another attachment of version 10 displaying the Arabic characters correctly without any problem .. so why this issue is existing in v11 ?
                    i think mr steve have tested the mysql and inserted Arabic char in V10 .. not in V11 .. and if it was V11 why this is happening to me .
                    1234.jpg

i have submitted bug report just now to alpha and waiting for replay ,

- William Faulkner

Comment

i have sent you CC about the bug report .. can you confirm that you received it ?
                      Regards
                      waiting for answers

- William Faulkner

Comment

Ahmed,

Thanks for the screen shot. Where is the data stored that is being displayed here?

I'm trying to understand what you are saying.

1) Do you have an example where you stored arabic characters in a native Alpha Five (DBF) table? If not, is this what you are criticizing?

OR

2) Are you saying, instead, that arabic characters stored in an SQL database that supports Unicode fields can no longer display that data in v11 of Alpha Five?

-- tom

Comment

mr steve i think u were using v10 ..
                          I was using V11, MySQL set to Unicode and a normal V11 Grid.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Dear Mr. Steve

I'm using V11 and the problem appear, and here is screen shoot from V11 Live Preview, Web Browser and MySQL Workbench.
                            Please Note the problem by this Photos:

Alpha5Bug1.jpg Alpha5Bug2.jpg Alpha5Bug3.jpg

Regards
                            Best Regards,
                            Kamel Jazmati

[email protected]
                            Kamelj.com
                            @KamelZJ

Comment

Originally posted by aal_fareed View Post
                              hey tom ,
                              the above attachment in kamel post is same issue ,

and here is another attachment of version 10 displaying the Arabic characters correctly without any problem .. so why this issue is existing in v11 ?
                              i think mr steve have tested the mysql and inserted Arabic char in V10 .. not in V11 .. and if it was V11 why this is happening to me .
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]31207[/ATTACH]

i have submitted bug report just now to alpha and waiting for replay ,

actually, you submitted a PICTURE of a bug - you did not submit a test case, or instructions on how to repeat the bug. there are instruction on how to submit a bug report when you select help/submit a bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                                Ahmed,

Thanks for the screen shot. Where is the data stored that is being displayed here?

I'm trying to understand what you are saying.

1) Do you have an example where you stored arabic characters in a native Alpha Five (DBF) table? If not, is this what you are criticizing?

OR

2) Are you saying, instead, that arabic characters stored in an SQL database that supports Unicode fields can no longer display that data in v11 of Alpha Five?

-- tom
                                OK i will try to simplify the problem in very shorts words .
                                simply , i used to save arabic characters in dbf table . when i click on this dbf table .. i cannot read it properly due to the unicode problem
                                but when i display this saved data through a grid .. it will work fine without any issues . this is how i used to work in V10

but now in V11 when i save arabic charcters in dbf table . i cant display it at all from grids
                                why this is happening to me ?
                                yes and i do have examples . pls add me in my email i will give you access to one of the systems that i created in V10 and the arabic characters are being displayed correctlu

and please forget about the SQL . this has nothing to do with SQL am now talking about DBF .
                                Regards
                                my email
                                [email protected]

- William Faulkner

Comment

Working...
                                X