Alpha Video Training

Thread: Problem setting up permissions to design and run some Reports, but not all Reports

Real Name
    Ray Camacho

Default Problem setting up permissions to design and run some Reports, but not all Reports

Is there a way to give a user permission to design and run some Reports, but not all Reports? Furthermore, I’d like to Deny that same user permission to design Forms, Browses, Labels, Operations, and Codes? I’m using version 9, Desktop, with the most recent update. I’ve downloaded the trial copy of version 11, but get all the same errors.

I was very close to solving this problem, but hit a block. Here’s what I’ve been able to do so far: The user has permission to design only the Reports I specify, and they cannot alter any Forms, Browses, Labels, Operations, and Codes (That’s exactly how I want that user group to function). However, when the user runs a script that has an APPEND operation; the user gets an error that says

“You are not allowed to design append ‘ItDisplaysFilenameHere’. If you want permission to do so, please talk to your system administrator”.

You can click a button on the dialogue box called “Why?” It then says: “You were denied access to ‘ItDisplaysFilenameHere’ because you do not have the following permissions: "Design" append: ‘ItDisplaysFilenameHere’ ”

The error stops the script.

As I said, I was very close to solving this problem, but hit a block. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

I have 2 user groups and I assign the user to both groups:
    1) CannotDesign
    2) CanDesignGroup1

GLOBAL PERMISSIONS: I set the global security as follows (in the control panel I went to the Reports tab and right-clicked on the white space). I added the group called CannotDesign to the list. I set the permissions as Delete=Deny, Design=Deny, and Run=Blank. This Denies the user from Design on all Reports, Forms, Browses, Labels, Operations, and Codes. But allows the user to Run them all (My default permission in the security settings = Grant).

PERMISSIONS ON A SPECIFIC REPORT: For the report that I wanted the user to Design, I set the security as follows (in the control panel I right-clicked on the icon for the report). I added the group called CanDesignGroup1 to the list. I set the permissions as Delete=Blank, Design=GRANT, and Run=Blank. This GRANTS the user the permission to Design for only this report. So far this was great. That’s exactly how I wanted everything to work.

I then ran the script that creates the report. This script contains several COPY operations and an APPEND operation. I received an error like the one described above. The same error occurred at each COPY and APPEND operation. To fix this, I then went to the control panel, right-clicked on each operation icon, and set the permissions as I did for the report icon (i.e., added the group called CanDesignGroup1 to the list, and Design=GRANT). This worked great for the COPY operations, but not for the APPEND. This is where I’m stuck. Does anyone have a solution or thought?

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

Default Re: Problem setting up permissions to design and run some Reports, but not all Report

Ray, it works for me.
    I set the permissions on the Append as Design and Run. It is a separate process, so you might want to bundle the Copy and Append into one Script and set permissions on that.
    On the Tables as Change/Enter/View for both tables - the Master and the Transaction

You might need to drop an example on the Forum so contributors can have a look at the problem your end.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Default Re: Problem setting up permissions to design and run some Reports, but not all Report

Ray,

Have a look in the Runtime pdf document. There is a good example of how to do exactly what you want.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Real Name
    Ray Camacho

Thanks Kieth and Ted. First I'm going to find the pdf document Kieth mentioned and compare with my problem. If I can't solve it there, I'll upload a sample.