Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Email Multiple Records through Alpha5??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email Multiple Records through Alpha5??

Hello,

I am trying to send an email of multiple records with Alpha5 v9.

The email I am trying to send, would contain field data from multiple records within the same table all that share the same email address.

Ex.
    Fields: Class, Email, Enrollment, Professor, Author, Title, ISBN, Edition, Copyright
    Record1 Data: AEM 3200 , 30 Student, [email protected], Mr.Professor, Suess, Green Eggs & Ham, 3rd, 2010
    Record2 Data: AEM 3200, 30 Students, [email protected], Mr.Professor, Tolien, Lord of the Rings, 2nd, 2010
    Record 3 Data: AEM 4000, 100 Students [email protected], Mr.Professor, Tolkien, Hobbit, 1st, 2009

So I wanted to click within the browse on the little email icon next to the email field, so alpha5 would open up the email client. I wanted to open a saved template that did the following:

Dear Professor <<Professor|Y>>,

I am touching base regarding your Fall 2012 text requirements.
    Could you please confirm or update the information we have speculated for your course(s):

Estimated Course Enrollments:

<<Class|>> - <<Estenroll||5|0>> Students (Loop this to print all classes with the associated email address)

Textbooks For the Course:

<<Class|>> - <<Author|>> -<<Title|>> (Loop this to print all textbooks for each class, While sorting A to Z the classes.)

The only way I have ever got this to work was to add a Child Link to the Parent table in a set (I know bad idea), and link the too one to many off of the email field. This actually did work (other than sorting) but caused many other issues so I had to bail on that idea.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a way to make this work?
    The actual idea is to take all the data in the table and put it into an organized email with the click of a button, so someone can go through and quickly send emails without typing in all the data or filters etc.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated even if it is doing it a completely different way. If anyone needs anymore clarification just let me know.

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Email Multiple Records through Alpha5??

I also should note, I would like to be able to send these one at a time to view what it is going to send rather than one loop that sends to hundreds. I would like to be able to preview each email prior to sending it.

Comment

You might need to drop a database here to explain where you have gotten to.
      Not sure why you think linking sets is a bad idea.

Edit
      If you create a 1:M set, say

Name
      ..Data

Keyed on an ID, then try creating a 1:Many display on your Template.
      Don't use HTML formatting.
      Read the bit where it says to replace the text. Place the data element there.

Works fine.
      Last edited by Ted Giles; 03-14-2012, 06:30 AM.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Hi Ted,

Actually the only time I had this work with a 1:M link in the set, was when I added a child link of the actual parent table. This created some problems later down the road.

This is actually what I had working before:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...314#post592314

But again, this was with the 1:M link running of a child link that was also the parent table.

Comment

You are correct that it doesn't work the way you would imagine.
          The 1:M link is only at the first level, so;

Professor
          ..Classes
          .....Books

doesn't allow a selection on 1:M between Classes and Books.

Only thing I can think of is to create a Report - which will allow you to format the data the way you want to - and mail that as an attachment, or perhaps copy the content to the Clipboard and paste to the mail.

Comment

Ted, I have started building a sample report is there an easy way to copy the contents of the report to the clipboard? I have built an action scripting to pull all the information I need and it Previews the report but all I can do is either print it or zoom in zoom out, no way to highlight and copy the data.

Is there a way to open the report in notepad through action scripting? For an easy copy paste?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Actually I have modified it to send the Report as a .txt attachment in the email.

This way I can auto fill data in all of the email / subject areas of the header, then can just open the text file copy and paste into the body and delete the file.

Thanks for the suggestions, this will work for me I think.

Comment

Gonna be tomorrow now it's getting late here.
                Look at capturing data by Copy to clipboard.
                Easiest way is to save the report as a word file, opens automatically, select all/copy/paste.
                Long winded but probably scriptable.

Comment

This script captures the data and copies it to the Clipboard.

'Date Created: 30-Jan-2012 05:20:05 PM
                  'Last Updated: 15-Mar-2012 10:26:45 AM
                  'Created By : Ted
                  'Updated By : Ted
                  dim data as C

dim tbl as P

tbl = table.current()

text = (tbl.class)
                  text1= (tbl.professor)
                  text2= text+" "+text1
                  :clipboard.set_data(text2,1,.t.)

Do something similar, and you can place it on a button, copy the data, launch the e-mail and paste.

The Help search is Clipboard.set and .get

Comment

Ted, thanks for the help. Appreciated much.

Comment

Working...
                    X