Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Working with Published Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working with Published Files

I am trying to work on an app that has a history. It was worked on by two different developers before me. I have the source code files from the first developer, but only the published files from the second.

That second developer disappeared and took the developed files with him, but had published the latest revisions to the server.

So I have a full set of the files used for development, including the ADB, but those files are old. I also have a complete set of working files on the live server, but I don't have the latest ADB that was used to develop those files nor do I have the original development files from the second developer.

Is there a way to go about taking files from a published server, and here I am talking about the A5W files, sets and the database files, I think, and integrate them back into an app? (Note: This app uses native A5 files.)

BTW, I might mention that this is a V9 app and I'm trying to convert it to V11 - I do not own V9 and hope to avoid having to get a copy.

I hope I explained this well enough, if you might be able to help, but need more info, please shout back!

Larry

Re: Working with Published Files

I trust you and your client have worked diligently to track down the second developer and otain the source code. Also, I trust you have searched the development PC for copies of the app including backups that may have been created automatically by A5?

I took over an Access app once from a developer who was mad that the client has asked me to join the team to help push things along. He left the code but left things locked up. I am an experienced Access developer and I could not unlock it. I did find commercial software that would for $100 or so. Ultimately the client located a company for whom he was providing services and had a talk with them about how they had been treated. That ultimately resulted in him handing over a "partially unlocked" version of the code, that someone who "really knew Access" would be able to finish unlocking. I ultimately did. The other company decided after all this that they no longer wanted to use this guy. So there is leverage there if you can locate the 2nd developer.

bob
    Bob Alston
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://webpages.charter.net/bobalston/bob1.htm
    Alpha five v11 Tips

Comment

You can directly copy A5W pages, tables and sets to your master project and the will be usable as development files. The ADB is of no use unless there are items under the CODE and OPERATIONS tabs you might need. I'd take the whole published set of files as a dummy project, including the ADB and see what is in there.

You will want to remove and then reapply any components on an old A5W page, allowing Alpha to regenerate the supporting code.

You can also bring over any components from the published location but they will not be immediately useful. You can open them and use as a base for re-development but they will not be in perfect condition, no fields will appear selected. But you can get to any event code and such.

You wont need a copy of V9 but if you do there are thousands of users willing to sell/give you a copy.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Not going to be able to track down the second developer. What I didn't mention is that they were from India.

Comment

So, could I directly copy all of the files from the published directories and copy them directly over the files in the development directories then move forward from there?

Comment

Originally posted by lgrupido View Post
            So, could I directly copy all of the files from the published directories and copy them directly over the files in the development directories then move forward from there?
            Like Steve said, you can't really use the grids & dialogs. Backup first, then copy selectively.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
            X