Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

<p> Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: &lt;p&gt; Problem

Try this:

<p><span style="white-space:nowrap">Date Sent: {Date_Sent}</span></p>

I know this is similar to a previous suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mage View Post
      Try this:

<p><span style="white-space:nowrap">Date Sent: {Date_Sent}</span></p>

I know this is similar to a previous suggestion.
      Hi Ho, Hi Ho! That appears to be working. Alpha says it's not a bug but rather Alpha's interaction with HTML. While I understand their point, manually setting the Cell in-line style to a wider width does not work. While it may be a quirk with Alpha and HTML, it doesn't mean it should not be fixed because only an experienced HTML user would know that trick.

Thanks so much for your suggestion!!

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken, the issue is that a <p> tag in HTML defines a paragraph, and paragraphs are allowed to wrap lines. This is not an Alpha quirk - it is standard HTML - and we can't re-implement HTML in your browser for you even if we thought it would be a good idea to do so.

If you want a wrap to never happen, you need to explicitly specify that, such as with the <span> example posted by William. You can also use &nbsp; instead of spaces in your HTML - that is a non-breaking space and a line will never be wrapped at it.

Lenny Forziati
        Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
        Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Hi Lenny,

Thank you for your time and the information. I believe it would behoove Alpha to put together a training video on HTML interacting with Alpha. There are probably more Alpha users who are not aware of the Alpha/HTML oddities and look at them as bugs just as I did or worse yet, abandon the project and/or Alpha. Would this not benefit Alpha's customers and more so, Alpha?

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

So,

<p>Date Sent:&nbsp;{Date_Sent}</p>

would work? Much simpler then what I posted. I am still fairly new at HTML myself, though I have known the very (very) basics for years.

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
              Hi Lenny,

Thank you for your time and the information. I believe it would behoove Alpha to put together a training video on HTML interacting with Alpha. There are probably more Alpha users who are not aware of the Alpha/HTML oddities and look at them as bugs just as I did or worse yet, abandon the project and/or Alpha. Would this not benefit Alpha's customers and more so, Alpha?

kenn

The implication of your post is that html somehow 'behaves' differently in Alpha Five is wrong. HTML is HTML and the way that each browser renders it has nothing to do with Alpha. There is no need for any special doc on 'html with alpha'. The web is full of doc on HTML and that's all that's needed to understand how html is rendered.

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
                The implication of your post is that html somehow 'behaves' differently in Alpha Five is wrong. HTML is HTML and the way that each browser renders it has nothing to do with Alpha. There is no need for any special doc on 'html with alpha'. The web is full of doc on HTML and that's all that's needed to understand how html is rendered.
                I am not turning on the Application Server. The grid is used as an embedded grid on a desktop form. I have no clue how my browser, which is not open, has a part in this. Perhaps it does when the working preview is used. Again, I have no clue. Perhaps you could explain that.

Your interpretation as to what I said is incorrect. Perhaps I could have done a better job in explaining so here's another try at it. What I meant was that HTML behaves in ways in which Alpha has no control. Users new to HTML, let alone the new aspects of Alpha, have no clue that it's an HTML problem. All they know is that they're using Alpha and it's not working. They will naturally think the problem is Alpha. I was told the container wasn't wide enough and that was why the HTML wrapped the text. So, I made the container wide enough and the text still wrapped.

I admit I need to learn a lot about HTML but please, think about how Alpha is marketed, to whom it's marketed and the large number of users new to Alpha and/or HTML. I had no idea HTML would behave this way and neither would any novice user to HTML. Only experienced HTML users would know this. My point is that it would be to Alpha's advantage to spend a little time to provide some information that when HTML is used in conjunction with Alpha, there will be times when the desired results will not be as expected and it's an HTML issue and not an Alpha issue. Furthermore, it is also to Alpha's advantage to suggest HTML resources right from the git go. Put the suggestions and/or links in the Wiki and point out these resources will be helpful in understanding HTML and how to use it in an Alpha application. While I don't know how many bug reports are received each day, it doesn't take much to realize that anything Alpha can do to educate new users is a big step towards preventing bogus bug reports. Only you know how much Alpha staff time can be saved not to mention the developers time.

Alpha is a fabulous product and as far as I know, light years ahead of any other database on the market. As fast as Alpha is progressing, there are bound to be some things that should be addressed.

kenn
                Last edited by forskare; 03-30-2012, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Ken, sorry my suggestion did not work for you. The code I suggested works by itself as you can test at the following site:
                  http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit....ml_paragraphs1
                  Using the site above, put the following snippet into the left box and then click "Edit and Click Me" button.
                  HTML Code:
                  <html>
                  <body>

<p style="white-space:nowrap; display:block;">First paragraph with really long text causes horizontal scroll bar to appear on the example page.  It requires a manual break. Which can be added by putting  &lt;br&gt like this:<br><b>break</b>.</p>
                  <p>Second paragrah that is also very long.  This one should wrap, as there is no style override specified.   By now this should be long enough to demonstrate that it wrapped.</p>

</body>
                  </html>
                  Using the test site above, the first paragraph just keeps going off to the right until it hits the manual break. In the message board both lines go off to the right.

I probably should not have put the "display:block" into the style tag, though:
                  http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_class_display.asp

It can be difficult getting things to look exactly a certain way in the browser. Everything has a container that could affect its display. I assume that is why my suggestion did not work and that the [div] or [span] element you used took care the problem.

Usually I have to use the "View Source" option in the browser or in Working Preview to see the exact html that got sent to the browser. Using FireFox with its FireBug debuger is really great for this. You can point to elements in the browser and FireBug will highlight the corresponding html (I just wish I had a two-monitor system). Once you find a particular html tag you can right-click it and select "Edit HTML". There you can make changes and see how it affects the browser window. To do a lot of experimenting, though, just save the HTML source and use a specialized HTML editor. Once you figure out what html you need then you can figure-out where to put it into Alpha. Alpha offers several locations of specifying in-line "Style" attributes or CSS Classes, if you want to go that far. However, there are at least two inconsistencies in Alpha in this area:
                  1) The CSS Class for a column in the grid's header row cannot be specified using properties of a component; instead javascript must be used.
                  2) The in-line CSS Style for column in grid's header row does not have a choice of how to apply it: a) Cell, b) Control, or c) Both.

- Rich

Comment

Ken, here is why you cannot control what happens without a work around. Video

Here is the HTML used in the video samples.
                    Date&nbsp;Sent:&nbsp;{Date_sent}<br><br>
                    Date&nbsp;Returned:&nbsp;{Date_returned}

<p align="left">Date&nbsp;Sent:&nbsp;{Date_sent}</p>
                    <p align="left">Date&nbsp;Returned:&nbsp;{Date_returned}</p>

<p>Date&nbsp;Sent:&nbsp;{Date_sent}</p>
                    <p>Date&nbsp;Returned:&nbsp;{Date_returned}</p>

<table width="150" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" >
                    <tr>
                    <td>Date&nbsp;Sent:&nbsp;</td>
                    <td>{Date_sent}</td>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                    <td>Date&nbsp;Returned:&nbsp;</td>
                    <td>{Date_returned}</td>
                    </tr>
                    </table>
                    I hope this puts your mind at rest on the issue and you don't waste any more time on it. All browsers will render this the same as there is (somehow) a
                    </p>
                    being added that is involuntary, as the grid builds the HTML. It is impossible for you me or anyone to remove that effect at developer level. But I would suggest it could be done by Alpha so it does not happen in the first place.
                    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Hi Rich,

First: You have absolutely nothing for which to apologize.

Second: I really appreciated the time you took to respond and the links you provided to the references. I have much to learn about HTML and how it interacts with Alpha and this helps.

Thank you!

kenn

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                        I hope this puts your mind at rest on the issue and you don't waste any more time on it. All browsers will render this the same as there is (somehow) a being added that is involuntary, as the grid builds the HTML. It is impossible for you me or anyone to remove that effect at developer level. But I would suggest it could be done by Alpha so it does not happen in the first place.
                        Hi Pete,

Thank you for pointing this out, not just to me but to others as well. I have no idea if it's Alpha's intention to add the <p></p> but they do know it's being added and they ought to know the problems it can cause. I know I did not add the code.

Your video is most helpful. When you highlighted one of the rows, I saw the length of the container and instantly knew why it would not wrap. I will be viewing this a few more times to get a better understanding. You have not only helped me but countless others who are new to HTML. When Alpha creates a genie or an automatic process, the user assumes that everything that happens is a result of what Alpha did or did not do.

Again, Thanks so much for your time and efforts.

kenn

Comment

Working...
                        X