Alpha Video Training

Thread: <p> Problem

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default <p> Problem

This has happened to me several times where I've wrapped a line such as:

<p>Date Sent: {Date_Sent}</p>

The Date Sent: part is on one line and the {Date_Sent} is on the next line even though there is plenty of room. I'm a novice HTML code user so maybe I'm missing something. There are other parts where I've done this and it's all on one line. This seems to be a hit-n-miss sort of thing.

Am I doing something wrong? If so what?

Thanks,

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway

Default Re: <p> Problem

You need to set the width of whatever it is contained in to accommodate both the name and the field, alpha is calculating the width based on the field only. looks about 120px - try that.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Hi Pete,

With no fixed width or height, it's supposed to adjust automatically. There are two tabs. The first one does not adjust but the 2nd tab does. I set the width anyhow on the first tab and it does not adjust to the proper width. Hmmmmm

Thanks for your response.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Real Name
    Peter Conway

You need to show a pic.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

I've attached a pic of the Detail View of the Grid. The fields are separated into two parts. I originally had a containers and frames around them as well as a Tabbed Control. For purposes of trouble shooting, I removed everything except for the Properties Setting of the Master Template in the grid. I left it as a Single Style Accordion.

I divided the Detail section fields into two free form areas. The code used in the top and bottom half is the same. The automatic frame expands to accommodate the lower half which is the widest. Yet the top half does not make use of the room provided. I also tried setting the width manually but that didn't help.

Thanks,

kenn

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Rich Fulham

For the Row Property "Cell In-Line Style" put in
    white-space: nowrap;
    If that does not work then try Row Property "Cell In-Line Style" set to
    display: block;

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Nope, neither have any affect.

kenn

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

In my quest to solve this problem, I created a brand new read only grid with an update-able Detail View. I divided the fields into two parts by defining the first field and the Employer fields as a Freeform Template in a Freeform Layout as shown in the attached .jpg. As you can see, from the employer row on down, everything appears as it was designed. However the 'Sent' row appears on 2 rows with the word 'Sent' on one row and the fields and other two field labels on the next row. I even shortened all three text boxes. There is more than enough room for all to be on one row.

The lower freeform layout works well; the layout automatically expands as it is supposed to expand. There is no reason why the top part should not expand as needed. There is no reason why the 2nd and 3rd rows cannot appear on 1 row. Seems to me that there is a bug in the wood pile.

Capture-3 is the lower part coding
    Capture-4 is the upper part coding
    Capture-5 is the upper part when viewed

1The lower part appears in view exactly as it's designed.

kenn

Real Name
    William McGowen

I am thinking that something may be associated with the {Date_Sent} field. I would look at the properties of that field.

Although if I couldn't find anything, I would use the paste feature, and simply paste everything from a working field to that field. That way if something is somehow hidden, then it might clear it up.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Rich Fulham

Sorry, my suggestion for "white-space: nowrap;" and "display: block; " should have said to put them in your "<p>" tags as a "style" attribute. Like this:
    <p style="white-space:nowrap; display:block;">

Real Name
    Peter Conway

Did you set the with of the data field as I suggested in the inline settings?

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by RichCPT View Post
    Sorry, my suggestion for "white-space: nowrap;" and "display: block; " should have said to put them in your "<p>" tags as a "style" attribute. Like this:
    Hi Rich,

I copied and pasted your suggested code into the cell in-line style right below the Freeform Template property. When I view the form, not only did it not work, it appeared in the top of the Detail View. I also set the width to 8 in. It expanded to 8 in but the problem is still there. I submitted a bug report because, when I created a new grid, and just used fields, it appears exactly as I set it up. However, once I added the field label text, then the problem began.

Thanks for your suggestions. BTW, these are the steps I submitted with the bug report:

1. Create a grid with an updatable Detail View.
    2. Select one field for the location of the Freeform. It makes no difference which filed but it should be in the middle or towards the top of the field list so there are fields to use in the freeform after the freeform field.
    3. All the rest of the fields must obviously be ‘Hidden’.
    4. Create the freeform by selecting the fields from the list and then click on the HTML Editor button on the bottom.
    5. Rearrange the fields so there are at least two rows with 2 or more fields in a row.
    6. When you click on the Source tab, you will see the <p> </p> at the beginning and end of each row.
    7. Save everything and view the grid. Every filed should be right where you placed them.
    8. No edit the code and place field labels text in front of each field.
    9. Save and view the grid.
    10. Now, you will see some field labels are not next to their respective fields. They should be because the window is supposed to expand automatically.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Only cure I have ever found for this oddity is to use tables. Put the label in a cell, and the {placeholder} in the next cell.

<table>
    <tr>
    <td>Date Sent:</td><td>{Date_Sent}</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Ken,

If you use a table as Steve suggests then everything will line up in columns similar to a grid. That may not be what you want of course, but...

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. The fact that you consider this behavior to be an oddity gives me some comfort in that at the very least, it's a behavior that Alpha is allowing to occur. I submitted a bug report and was told it's not a bug. The container is programmed by Alpha to expand and how that interacts with HTML may not be a bug. The problem is, the behavior is inconsistant which is not good. Inconsistant behavior such as this will cause frustration and confusion for many, especially those who are new to HTML.

Hi Peter,

If it's going to line up in columns similar to a grid, that defeats to purpose of freeform. Which is not what will work for me.

Thanks much,

Ken

Real Name
    William McGowen

Try this:

<p><span style="white-space:nowrap">Date Sent: {Date_Sent}</span></p>

I know this is similar to a previous suggestion.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by The Mage View Post
    Try this:

<p><span style="white-space:nowrap">Date Sent: {Date_Sent}</span></p>

I know this is similar to a previous suggestion.
    Hi Ho, Hi Ho! That appears to be working. Alpha says it's not a bug but rather Alpha's interaction with HTML. While I understand their point, manually setting the Cell in-line style to a wider width does not work. While it may be a quirk with Alpha and HTML, it doesn't mean it should not be fixed because only an experienced HTML user would know that trick.

Thanks so much for your suggestion!!

kenn

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Ken, the issue is that a <p> tag in HTML defines a paragraph, and paragraphs are allowed to wrap lines. This is not an Alpha quirk - it is standard HTML - and we can't re-implement HTML in your browser for you even if we thought it would be a good idea to do so.

If you want a wrap to never happen, you need to explicitly specify that, such as with the <span> example posted by William. You can also use &nbsp; instead of spaces in your HTML - that is a non-breaking space and a line will never be wrapped at it.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Hi Lenny,

Thank you for your time and the information. I believe it would behoove Alpha to put together a training video on HTML interacting with Alpha. There are probably more Alpha users who are not aware of the Alpha/HTML oddities and look at them as bugs just as I did or worse yet, abandon the project and/or Alpha. Would this not benefit Alpha's customers and more so, Alpha?

kenn

Real Name
    William McGowen

So,

<p>Date Sent:&nbsp;{Date_Sent}</p>

would work? Much simpler then what I posted. I am still fairly new at HTML myself, though I have known the very (very) basics for years.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by forskare View Post
    Hi Lenny,

Thank you for your time and the information. I believe it would behoove Alpha to put together a training video on HTML interacting with Alpha. There are probably more Alpha users who are not aware of the Alpha/HTML oddities and look at them as bugs just as I did or worse yet, abandon the project and/or Alpha. Would this not benefit Alpha's customers and more so, Alpha?

kenn

The implication of your post is that html somehow 'behaves' differently in Alpha Five is wrong. HTML is HTML and the way that each browser renders it has nothing to do with Alpha. There is no need for any special doc on 'html with alpha'. The web is full of doc on HTML and that's all that's needed to understand how html is rendered.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
    The implication of your post is that html somehow 'behaves' differently in Alpha Five is wrong. HTML is HTML and the way that each browser renders it has nothing to do with Alpha. There is no need for any special doc on 'html with alpha'. The web is full of doc on HTML and that's all that's needed to understand how html is rendered.
    I am not turning on the Application Server. The grid is used as an embedded grid on a desktop form. I have no clue how my browser, which is not open, has a part in this. Perhaps it does when the working preview is used. Again, I have no clue. Perhaps you could explain that.

Your interpretation as to what I said is incorrect. Perhaps I could have done a better job in explaining so here's another try at it. What I meant was that HTML behaves in ways in which Alpha has no control. Users new to HTML, let alone the new aspects of Alpha, have no clue that it's an HTML problem. All they know is that they're using Alpha and it's not working. They will naturally think the problem is Alpha. I was told the container wasn't wide enough and that was why the HTML wrapped the text. So, I made the container wide enough and the text still wrapped.

I admit I need to learn a lot about HTML but please, think about how Alpha is marketed, to whom it's marketed and the large number of users new to Alpha and/or HTML. I had no idea HTML would behave this way and neither would any novice user to HTML. Only experienced HTML users would know this. My point is that it would be to Alpha's advantage to spend a little time to provide some information that when HTML is used in conjunction with Alpha, there will be times when the desired results will not be as expected and it's an HTML issue and not an Alpha issue. Furthermore, it is also to Alpha's advantage to suggest HTML resources right from the git go. Put the suggestions and/or links in the Wiki and point out these resources will be helpful in understanding HTML and how to use it in an Alpha application. While I don't know how many bug reports are received each day, it doesn't take much to realize that anything Alpha can do to educate new users is a big step towards preventing bogus bug reports. Only you know how much Alpha staff time can be saved not to mention the developers time.

Alpha is a fabulous product and as far as I know, light years ahead of any other database on the market. As fast as Alpha is progressing, there are bound to be some things that should be addressed.

kenn
    Last edited by forskare; 03-30-2012 at 02:09 AM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Rich Fulham

Ken, sorry my suggestion did not work for you. The code I suggested works by itself as you can test at the following site:
    http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit....ml_paragraphs1
    Using the site above, put the following snippet into the left box and then click "Edit and Click Me" button.
    HTML Code:
    <html>
    <body>

<p style="white-space:nowrap; display:block;">First paragraph with really long text causes horizontal scroll bar to appear on the example page.  It requires a manual break. Which can be added by putting  &lt;br&gt like this:<br><b>break</b>.</p>
    <p>Second paragrah that is also very long.  This one should wrap, as there is no style override specified.   By now this should be long enough to demonstrate that it wrapped.</p>

</body>
    </html>
    Using the test site above, the first paragraph just keeps going off to the right until it hits the manual break. In the message board both lines go off to the right.

I probably should not have put the "display:block" into the style tag, though:
    http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_class_display.asp

It can be difficult getting things to look exactly a certain way in the browser. Everything has a container that could affect its display. I assume that is why my suggestion did not work and that the [div] or [span] element you used took care the problem.

Usually I have to use the "View Source" option in the browser or in Working Preview to see the exact html that got sent to the browser. Using FireFox with its FireBug debuger is really great for this. You can point to elements in the browser and FireBug will highlight the corresponding html (I just wish I had a two-monitor system). Once you find a particular html tag you can right-click it and select "Edit HTML". There you can make changes and see how it affects the browser window. To do a lot of experimenting, though, just save the HTML source and use a specialized HTML editor. Once you figure out what html you need then you can figure-out where to put it into Alpha. Alpha offers several locations of specifying in-line "Style" attributes or CSS Classes, if you want to go that far. However, there are at least two inconsistencies in Alpha in this area:
    1) The CSS Class for a column in the grid's header row cannot be specified using properties of a component; instead javascript must be used.
    2) The in-line CSS Style for column in grid's header row does not have a choice of how to apply it: a) Cell, b) Control, or c) Both.

- Rich

Real Name
    Peter Conway

Ken, here is why you cannot control what happens without a work around. Video

Here is the HTML used in the video samples.
    Date&nbsp;Sent:&nbsp;{Date_sent}<br><br>
    Date&nbsp;Returned:&nbsp;{Date_returned}

<p align="left">Date&nbsp;Sent:&nbsp;{Date_sent}</p>
    <p align="left">Date&nbsp;Returned:&nbsp;{Date_returned}</p>

<p>Date&nbsp;Sent:&nbsp;{Date_sent}</p>
    <p>Date&nbsp;Returned:&nbsp;{Date_returned}</p>

<table width="150" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" >
    <tr>
    <td>Date&nbsp;Sent:&nbsp;</td>
    <td>{Date_sent}</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Date&nbsp;Returned:&nbsp;</td>
    <td>{Date_returned}</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    I hope this puts your mind at rest on the issue and you don't waste any more time on it. All browsers will render this the same as there is (somehow) a
    </p>
    being added that is involuntary, as the grid builds the HTML. It is impossible for you me or anyone to remove that effect at developer level. But I would suggest it could be done by Alpha so it does not happen in the first place.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Hi Rich,

First: You have absolutely nothing for which to apologize.

Second: I really appreciated the time you took to respond and the links you provided to the references. I have much to learn about HTML and how it interacts with Alpha and this helps.

Thank you!

kenn

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by peteconway View Post
    I hope this puts your mind at rest on the issue and you don't waste any more time on it. All browsers will render this the same as there is (somehow) a being added that is involuntary, as the grid builds the HTML. It is impossible for you me or anyone to remove that effect at developer level. But I would suggest it could be done by Alpha so it does not happen in the first place.
    Hi Pete,

Thank you for pointing this out, not just to me but to others as well. I have no idea if it's Alpha's intention to add the <p></p> but they do know it's being added and they ought to know the problems it can cause. I know I did not add the code.

Your video is most helpful. When you highlighted one of the rows, I saw the length of the container and instantly knew why it would not wrap. I will be viewing this a few more times to get a better understanding. You have not only helped me but countless others who are new to HTML. When Alpha creates a genie or an automatic process, the user assumes that everything that happens is a result of what Alpha did or did not do.

Again, Thanks so much for your time and efforts.

kenn