Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

v.11 Desktop Anomalies & bug list (legitimate contributions welcome from all)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v.11 Desktop Anomalies & bug list (legitimate contributions welcome from all)

For lack of an open bug tracking system: The goal here is to help everyone uncover, share & work around "unexpected issues."
    If users contribute in a similar fashion (as these two) reports, I think it might help in the "frustration department"....

Please: Do not submit new "issues" unless you have are certain that a bug exists, (and include the build info as depicted below).
    I intend to list all desktop related bugs here prior to submitting bug reports to Alpha. Once the bug report has been submitted to Alpha (and hopefully resolved) I urge you to update your post (here) accordingly.

Note: When the bug report is submitted to Alpha, a link back here (included in the Bug Submission Report) to the post (on this thread) will be included for Alpha's review. (This should keep everyone [interested ]"in the loop.")

I strongly suggest beginning all "NEW-ISSUE" posts on this thread using a similar layout schema/structure (with color coding) as follows: (And see first bug submissions, on subsequent posts for actual examples.)

CURRENT-ISSUE: OBJECT [+add pertinent info here]
    v.11 (build 2549) ~03/27/2012
    History: (if any)

IMPORTANT:Whenever replying to a new issue, be sure to use "Reply With Quote."
    Also, use default title for this thread (do not change for each post).

Note: When submitting new additions to this post, I also suggest using Bold text for the issue "highlights", and ~Use blue for workaround "highlights." (unless they are somehow related, I suggest separate posts for each new bug)

Where possible, add photos to the bottom, and include attached examples where applicable.

I believe, that if we "do this right", Alpha will watch this thread, and everyone (including Alpha) can benefit!
    I'm also aware that many of these "issues" may be appear to be "trivial" to advanced users. But what is "trivial" to one user may be a real frustration to others. My point is: Even though many of us are able to quickly workaround issues (presented here)... There was a time when we were "newbies too." Irrespective, nobody wants to encounter things that don't work properly. And regardless of a bug's significance, even minor issues accumulate. (Which impacts the products overall credibility as a whole.)

If you're willing to report a bug, (and you know it's a bug): You might as well post it here first for all to see!
    By doing so: Even if the minor issues aren't worthy of fixing, at least we'll all know they exist!
    (In the bug report you submit to Alpha, you can easily copy and past, or [optionally] link back to your post here and "kill two birds with one stone.")
    Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM.
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Re: v.11 Desktop Anomalies & bug list (legitimate contributions welcome from all)

CURRENT-ISSUE: UNBOUND FORM FIELDS [display issue]
    History: Issue existed in prior versions & builds. I reported this in v.10.
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...l=1#post605336

On a "running form", setting focus to an unbound field on the form (you can't disable setting focus on unbound fields, as the field setup property tab is blank) causes the font size (displaying the text) to become tiny. (I reported this in prior versions.) ~A workaround is to add cancel() to the canArrive event of the field.
    Last edited by SNusa; 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM.
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Re: v.11 Desktop Anomalies & bug list (legitimate contributions welcome from all)

CURRENT-ISSUE: TWO STATE BUTTONS [onPush event]
      History: I suspect this problem has been around for quite some time.
      http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...l=1#post605266

Two State buttons (I know they probably aren't used too frequently) do not respond to the onPush event.
      I believe it's because the button itself uses this event to control itself. Regardless, the onPush event can be coded. (it just doesn't work) ~The workaround is to code for the onChange event instead.
      Last edited by SNusa; 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM.

Comment

CURRENT-ISSUE: BROWSE CREATION [cancelling]
        History: Issue existed in prior versions & builds. I reported this in v.10

If you are creating a browse in the browse tab, and decide you have made a mistake, you can't quit what you're doing. If you try to exit out of the browse a box comes up. Selecting cancel only cancels the actual save and you are returned to the browse. From this point, you can not quit. (this bug was previously submitted in v.10) ~The workaround is to save the browse, and then delete it.

Snap 2012-03-28 at 13.41.50.png
        Last edited by SNusa; 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

A fix has been submitted for this, which will be in the next available patch.

(fix for two-state button on-push submitted)

Comment

CURRENT-ISSUE: EXPRESSION BUILDER [multi line expressions]
            History: Problem has been around for quite some time.
            Status: NOT SUBMITTED (program limitation / waiting to hear from others)

If you're building an expression (using the expression builder) that returns a text value (which results in multiple lines of code being returned, ie: line-feeds, chr(10) etc...): You'll never see anything except the first line returned by the expression builder. (any wrappted text is not displayed so you don't see the entire result.) ~Looks like there is no workaround other than trial and error when form runs. (Some expressions may resolve properly in the IW, and/or use debugger etc.)

~RSVP "Alphaholics!"
            Last edited by SNusa; 03-29-2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

[multi line expressions]
              Not a bug. The question is how much you want from this feature, and this is the way it's always been. Yes, it would be nice to ask if they'd expand on this feature to show multi-line results, but that's what it is -- feature creep not a bug.
              -Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Or if you really...... want to see it, temporarily enclose it in stritran(,crlf(),"")?
                There can be only one.

Comment

CURRENT-ISSUE: BUTTONS [dynamic bubble help property]
                  History: Unknown/Low priority

Try to set bubble help on a button to dynamic and bring up the Expression Builder - You can't and get an error. Things can get weird after that too.

Snap 2012-03-28 at 23.49.32.png

Comment

Unbound Fields on a form now intialize correctly on focus (font size is correct).

This fix will be available in the next patch

Comment

Hi Robert,

When I created a browse, selected columns and tried to close the browse without saving, I see a dialog with 'Save changes to current browse layout' <yes> <no> <cancel> - which If I select 'No' returns me to the control panel - Can you give me step by step instructions on how you recreated this issue?

Thanks,
                      Cian Chambliss

Comment

Re: v.11 Desktop Anomalies &amp; bug list (legitimate contributions welcome from all)

Originally posted by Cian Chambliss View Post
                        Hi Robert,

When I created a browse, selected columns and tried to close the browse without saving, I see a dialog with 'Save changes to current browse layout' <yes> <no> <cancel> - which If I select 'No' returns me to the control panel - Can you give me step by step instructions on how you recreated this issue?

Thanks,
                        Cian Chambliss
                        • Create new browse in the browse tab. Go all the way through, add a few columns, (click next next next, then finish) and you see the browse.
                        • From here, if you try to exit out of the browse (before saving it, after realizing that what you created isn't what you want).....
                        • Click on X to exit. Now you get a save dialog with ok, cancel, help, and password.
                        • At this point, you are forced to give the "bad browse" a name, save it, and then go back and delete it.
                          (since there is no "undo", you can't go back and correct what you've done)

Because the browse hasn't ever been saved, clicking X should provide you with an option to "Exit without Save"
                        This is one of those minor annoyances. ~Just one more reason that some a5 instructors verbally "share" that they don't like to use standalone browses.
                        Last edited by SNusa; 03-29-2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Re: v.11 Desktop Anomalies &amp; bug list (legitimate contributions welcome from all)

browse_exit1.JPGbrowse_exit2.JPGbrowse_exit3.JPGbrowse_exit4.JPG

This is what I tried, but I am still not seeing the problem - you did mention 'password' - which I am not seeing on the commit dialog that shows up.

Do you have this problem on *any* database (i.e. alphasports) or does your database have security turned on - which I know can influence the load/save behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by Cian Chambliss;

This is what I tried, but I am still not seeing the problem - you did mention 'password' - which I am not seeing on the commit dialog that shows up.

Do you have this problem on *any* database (i.e. alphasports) or does your database have security turned on - which I know can influence the load/save behaviour.
                            Alpha Sports ~ This is what I get, and have always seen over the past two years: http://screencast.com/t/x7ja1ae4
                            (I've never seen the save change box like yours. I am presently running on 64bit windows-7, but v.10 was on Vista 32bit.)
                            Last edited by SNusa; 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Just a problem of closing the code editor, if you opened it with a blank code then close , it will pop up the error and you have no way to close it until you press ctrl + del and end task alpha five. please see attached file
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X