Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sell this FileMaker developer on A5 :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sell this FileMaker developer on A5 :)

Yep need to be careful with languages as you know they call a pullover (in the USA) we call a jumper - If said I sitting here with a nice jumper on - Wendy would see me wearing a dress.. - not:-(
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Oh now I might pay money to see that! Come on Pete - throw us a picture?
      Wendy Welton
      Architect
      past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

@peteconway - along this line, here is one from a 'mate' from Sydney, via FMForums:

"Like the joke about the difference between a buffalo and a bison... you wash your hands in a bison. LOL "

Thanks for all the replies! I am not ignoring the thread; just got back in and will try to address the points made this coming week :-)
        Cheers!
        Lyle Chamney
        http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
        Websites rebuilt with WordPress
        http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
        Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
        http://snifflevalve.com
        WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

The last five answers are why Alpha is better than FM. It is way more fun to develop in than anything I have used before and the people on the forum prove that time and time again
          -----------------------------------------------
          Regards
          Mark Pearson
          [email protected]
          Youtube channel
          Website

Comment

Wendy, where did you get this piece of information?

" For instance, they've said they plan to discontinue the WAS during or after V12, that they're working on an IIS based replacement instead."

Wonder how that will affect the knowledge base!
            See our Hybrid Option here;
            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I don't remember where, but it was publicly announced somewhere.

About the knowledge base - well we'll all have to just insist that the new stuff be well documented when it gets here!
              Wendy Welton
              Architect

Comment

Originally posted by WendyWelton View Post
                I don't remember where, but it was publicly announced somewhere.

About the knowledge base - well we'll all have to just insist that the new stuff be well documented when it gets here!
                Linky Linky

These items are speculations and indications of effort, and not promises of future product delivery.

We expect to stop selling the Xbasic Application Server in the V12 time frame, once the IIS-based Web Server has been fully tested in production.
                We expect an Xbasic compiler to become available in the V12 time frame. Preliminary experiments with this are very promising in terms of run-time performance, but there are many obstacles to incorporating this into a production system.

-Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the link Steve.

To anyone tapping into this thread.
                  So, now I have IIS Express and Visual Studio - all free from Uncle Bill Gates, with MySQL free from Oracle, where should I be investing my learning time?

Here's my problem. I'm embarking on a learning curve with WAS, and the link suggests that there will be documantation to assist me so that when (if) IIS is the server, I won't have to rewrite. What?
                  I'm a lifer as far as Alpha is concerned, but this sounds like a bad marketing plan. I was always told - "never tell a potential customer 'Thanks for the order for the XYZ - just you wait and see wht the new 123 can do!'" Sale lost. Confused am I.

BTW
                  I seem to remember using a compiled version of Basic around the mid 70's on a Digico M16E - the days when an Index was a SlotString function.
                  See our Hybrid Option here;
                  https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                  You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I have been a filemaker user/developer for 12 years. Our company needs web database capabilities and Filemaker is weak in that area. So 2 years ago I started investigating alternatives.
                    Alpha5 seemed to have impressive capabilities, and so I bought in about six months ago.
                    For the last 4 months I have been learning Alpha5 and converting our company db systems from Filemaker to Alpha5. My observations are:
                    1. Prepare for a steep learning curve. Both companies use very different terminology to describe the same thing. And there is no good Alpha5 help or glossary. Videos are nice, but you cannot look up or index the information in them.
                    2. Filemaker is vastly easier in record navigation, selection, and finding (query) data.
                    3. Alpha5 has programming flexibility and power that Filemaker could only dream of.
                    4. Filemaker has stable printing functions. Alpha5 has very quirky report output.
                    5. Alpha5 has more easier to use relational tables.
                    6. Filemaker does not work well on the web. Alpha5 does. Easy setup as well.
                    7. Filemaker lets you hack up just about anything quickly. Alpha5 makes you consider, and perhaps do it right.
                    8. My "Help! newbie" needs have been met well. Both by this message board and Alpha support staff. Filemaker did not care when I needed help.

Summary: Both database apps do some things really well. But they are very much different. Filemaker is more user-friendly. Alpha5 has a way bigger bag of tricks.

Comment

Ted,

I have absolutely no reason to think I'm right, but somehow I think the WAS vs the IIS Thingy won't be so much of a learning curve. I'm guessing it will affect our grids and other development tools very little. I know I don't spend a whole heck of a lot of time on the WAS itself.

Anybody with a clue have any thoughts? I misplaced by box of clues about a month ago.... Oh wait, I never had one. ;-)
                      Wendy Welton
                      Architect

Comment

Lyle,

I played with FM up to v9 if I remember well.

Web connectivity up to that version was actually zero unless you used some kind of php web publishing addon, I bet you've already seen & experienced the web power of Alpha. I've been looking at many products & even bought into some like Servoy but in the end Alpha stands out without any doubt. If you're looking to develop apps for the web: Alpha is your choice. I personally never even looked at the desktop side of the product as I have no interest in desktop anymore.

FM brings versions to market & maybe 2 maintenance releases or so, Alpha is continuously being worked on & you can tap releases about every month (every day prerelease versions if you like)

FM has had a history of file corruption, they do solve it in their maintenance releases but up until those appear you're on your own. Alpha solves problems overnight, plenty of testimonial here on the board.

FM is expensive, Alpha's subscription model is very affordable and the best value I think. This whole industry evolves to subscriptions: you loose money if you just buy licenses.
                        Subscriptions give this industry a more stable & more predictable income flow so that they can survive, invent & take the lead. And I want to work with a winning company.

FM is corporate subsidiary of Apple, a company driven by the stock exchange in the first place (allthough the Apple hype the past couple of years might suggest otherwise), Alpha is privately owned and is product driven.

I have not seen a lot of visionary technology implementations at FM (are they still struggling to separate code & data ?), Alpha is on the right track.

Corporates can decide overnight to cut a product (with MS being the absolute champion), you will not see that from Alpha.

FM uses a proprietary fileformat which can be fun for some quick&dirty small side project, Alpha uses industry standards & let's you choose.

Sure it's not all that rosy but I haven't found any other product that does what Alpha does and I have no need or intention to look any further either.

Get on board, invest time in the learning curve & amaze yourself & others!

Cheers
                        Last edited by Clipper87; 04-05-2012, 01:51 AM.
                        Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Web connectivity up to that version was actually zero unless you used some kind of php web publishing addon, I bet you've already seen & experienced the web power of Alpha. I've been looking at many products & even bought into some like Servoy but in the end Alpha stands out without any doubt. If you're looking to develop apps for the web: Alpha is your choice. I personally never even looked at the desktop side of the product as I have no interest in desktop anymore.
                          Question: How effective (and at what level of proficiency) can one actually expect to attain without a thorough understanding of the desktop side, which (presumably) includes the ability of writing native X-basic code? (If the level is presumed high, does one resolve to using wizards extensively?)

I ask this question, as I decided to "really learn" X-basic and the desktop side first, thinking it is/was a pre-requisite to the web side...... (I further justified my choice/decision knowing that the web side is migrating to IIS.)

My thoughts are, users need to develop competency in the following order for a solid foundation with a5:

• PLENTY OF TIME (& WILL) TO COMMIT TO LEARNING
                          • Database Design Fundamentals
                          • A5 GUI
                          • Desktop a5
                          • X-basic
                          • SQL (limited familiarity)
                          • Web a5 (basic html ~familiarity~ being a prerequisite)
                          • Smartphone a5 (for all practical purposes, still forthcoming from Alpha).....
                          • IIS admin (a forthcoming pre-requisite, due to a5's migration to IIS)

One things for sure: There are many pieces to this "puzzle!"
                          Last edited by SNusa; 04-10-2012, 12:22 PM.
                          Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                          It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                          RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Not sure what you mean. If your question is how easy is it in A5 to develop webapps ? Well I have not ever looked at the desktop side of it, I immediately jumped in on developing webapps. Start off with Martin Heller's 2 books.
                            Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                              Not sure what you mean. If your question is how easy is it in A5 to develop webapps ? Well I have not ever looked at the desktop side of it, I immediately jumped in on developing webapps. Start off with Martin Heller's 2 books.
                              From my perspective, (having a fair amount of experience with the desktop and [finally] being able to code native X-basic reasonably well)..... The web side of a5 seems rather simple, and largely a "lesson in semantics" with the exception of not being overly seasoned with writing/tweaking javascript, and having very little experience with using/coding/implementing AJAX.

~I had just presumed the journey would be much more difficult to become a "master of a5" without knowing the desktop & X-basic first. And without (my self imposed) prerequisite of knowing X-basic & the a5 desktop development environment: I (personally) wouldn't have the confidence & would probably feel constrained in my abilities to effectively use the web side.....

Thanks for the tip on the Heller books. I will take a look at them.
                              Last edited by SNusa; 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM.
                              Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                              It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                              RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

I am developing a company wide db with both internal (desktop) and external (web) aspects. I struggled quite a bit with the desktop side. Partly because of the alpha5 learning curve and partly because I was trying to create a strong foundation from scratch. Once that foundation was built, and the desktop side worked (mostly), the web side was pretty easy. Most of the tricky stuff is being done on the desktop though. Action scripting performs most of the tricks. And as I've gotten more comfortable, I have been converting the action scripts to xbasic and changing as needed.
                                Experience with visual basic has been helpful here. The web stuff was built with Alpha5 wizards and standard grids. They work well with minor tweaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X